Unless we are SB faves, easy on short-term FA signings

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
So only Super Bowl favorites should sign impactful short-term free agents? Thats some crazy logic.

We have a very good roster and are absolutely only a couple good players away from competing for a Super Bowl.

This is exactly how you stay good but not good enough forever like the Cowboys have doing. In today's NFL you not only need to draft well but also need to add key players in FA to get yourself to the next level.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vegas is pretty right on about the odds. I'm not sure about the actual numbers. But I'm sure it's a winning percentage for them

I’m sure it is. But the point is that the early season favorites are still long shots relative to the field.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Short term signings are fine.
Short term signings that push money off? Bad.
Short term signings you play rather than develop young guys? Bad.

But short term pay as you go on a guy that fills an obvious gap? Absolutely.

Flamma

Reaction score
So only Super Bowl favorites should sign impactful short-term free agents? Thats some crazy logic.

We have a very good roster and are absolutely only a couple good players away from competing for a Super Bowl.

This is exactly how you stay good but not good enough forever like the Cowboys have doing. In today's NFL you not only need to draft well but also need to add key players in FA to get yourself to the next level.

This right here. Dallas is a pretty good team now. Adding a few FAs could put any team in their situation right in the mix, and I see Dallas is doing exactly that. For awhile there I had feared they'd do nothing.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m sure it is. But the point is that the early season favorites are still long shots relative to the field.
This is the issue for me. If you going to choose a team that made the playoffs went to the Superbowl the year prior. You're probably going to be wrong. How many teams go to the Superbowl make the playoffs. And don't even make the playoffs The Following season. I think it's like 80%. Falcons Carolina, for instance that's why I say all these years of average 8 + 8. Is a huge accomplishment and I don't think many people realize that. Teams are on top and then they hit the bottom. We've been consistently good not great good. That in itself is an accomplishment I know people won't like it but it is

Hadenough

Reaction score
Andrew Luck was an interception machine when he first came out. Let's hope he's better. But like I said before from the first snap to the last snap everything else in between is called football. I'll take Prescott right now when the game is on the line
Andrew Luck took the Colts to the playoffs 3 straight season of 11-5. He was the team! He had absolutely no help his first 3 years and then beat himself up trying to run too much. I guarantee if Luck was suddenly traded to Dallas the SB odds would go from 25-1 to 6-1!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I agree. Wed have to sign like 4-5 legit fa's imo to be sb faves.

No point in wasting time thinking of other QBs either.
There is a right time for short-term help and a wrong time. An approaching season of 9-7 (at best) is not SB matderial, oafs.
What? We need expensive castoffs to remain average?
Dig it, men.

Last edited: