Unpopular opinion: I don't think Zeke is having a bad year

D4KADON

Reaction score
I honestly think

1. Dak is improving as a pocket passer, and he's throwing more passes

2. This is Moore's first year as the OC

3. Dak's contract

In fact, part of this team's problem is that it abandons the run even when it IS working(Bills, Patriots game)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly think

3. Dak's contract

In fact, part of this team's problem is that it abandons the run even when it IS working(Bills, Patriots game)

I'll ask you this question.

While he's not "having a bad year" - which I agree with, would you say he's earning that big raise?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak can't throw a pass when taking a snap from under center unless it is play-action. That makes the offense predictable which hurts the run game's numbers.
That doesn't make sense. There isn't something magical about faking a handoff that makes a QB more capable of throwing a football.

The reality is we simply don't have Dak under center very often unless it is a down where there is a good chance we run, so in that case, if we decide to pass, why wouldn't we go play action? That's when it is most effective - when the opponent is looking for a run.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. There isn't something magical about faking a handoff that makes a QB more capable of throwing a football.

The reality is we simply don't have Dak under center very often unless it is a down where there is a good chance we run, so in that case, if we decide to pass, why wouldn't we go play action? That's when it is most effective - when the opponent is looking for a run.
So you're saying there is no difference between play-action and just dropping back to pass?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on one’s expectations.

he can have a good to great year and there will be those saying is is not, because they expect more, because of his contract.
Then there will be those that say is is living up to his contract, though not very many, because you can’t expect him to be the entire team.

I think he is having a subpar performance overall, compared to my expectations. But will not judge based on his contract. As the entire team and coaching is at fault for the entire teams crappy performance.

I still say much of it is play calling and pass happy Moore.
But the defense and ST’s and coaching fail to give the offense better field position to have a better opportunity.

I think what many believe is subpar is his lack of long runs, and lack of long TD tuns. Which some think should happen every game. However they don’t happen for most RB’s, but he should have longer runs regardless.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
He is not having a bad year it’s just for what we have seen and being the highest paid at his position the exceptions are higher. He can’t just be having a decent year he needs to be dominating to justify his huge cap hit.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I honestly think

3. Dak's contract

your subject line and post content dont match each other

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3. Dak's contract
In fact, part of this team's Moores problem is that it he abandons the run even when it IS working(Bills, Patriots game)
FIFY

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you're saying there is no difference between play-action and just dropping back to pass?

As far as the simple ability to throw the ball, no. The drop back is the same except in one case you fake a handoff, and in another you don't. The play fake doesn't somehow change his ability to throw a football.

As far as opportunities a play fake opens up, sure there is some benefit to the offense as long as the opponent is willing to bite on the play fake, and if the situation is right for that, why wouldn't we want Dak to use the play fake? It isn't somehow a negative to use the play fake when the opponent is most susceptible to it. And my point was that we use the play fake so often on the rare occasion Dak runs a play from under center because those are generally situations where the run is a strong possibility, and therefore the play fake is most able to be effective.

Your post seems to suggest he runs a lot of plays from under center without the play fake, and routinely fails, and I don't believe that is accurate. He generally goes under center in run situations when the play fake would be the right thing to do if we decide to pass.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
He's definitely not having a "bad year" by any means.

Now, throw in two other variables..

Had he not held out and then slapped with a huge contract..would their be any noise about his game, personally?

Expectations ruin ones reality, they blind you and complicate perception.

Dallasfann

Reaction score

Dak very rarely throws a pass under center. It's a run 99 % of the time. So when we line up that way, defenses just play run. That's why we see the worst play in football "Halfback draw out of shogun formation " in short yardage situations so much. They did it last week vs the Bears. It was 3nd and 2 and the goal line and we did a RPO out of shotgun that went no where. I was YELLING and I'm not exaggerating when i say this, YELLING at the TV.." RUN THE DAMN BALL OUT OF I-FORMATION RIGHT UP THE DAMN MIDDLE!" Very next play I formation right up middle and Zeke plowed through for a TD. Zeke is almost a better power runner then finesse runner. Why the hell are we running him where he has to come to a stop to take the hand off so much? You know why? Because Dak needs time to read a defense to be effective. It's why they put him in shotgun so much. Dak is poor poor poooormans version of Lamar Jackson. That's why our RPO isn't effective at all for Zeke. Dak isn't a huge threat as a runner.

Reaction score
I honestly think

3. Dak's contract

Is Zeke playing at the level commensurate to his salary?

starfan1

Reaction score
I honestly think

3. Dak's contract

Moores problem is similar to Linehans problem he abandons the run when its work and he doesnt when its not working

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
That's why our RPO isn't effective at all for Zeke. Dak isn't a huge threat as a runner.

And he's not going to be until he gets a monetary safety valve..

I don't think anyone should blame him. His body is his investment, and running increases the chance of him ending his career, which in turn pays the bills.