Unpopular opinion: I don't think Zeke is having a bad year

starfan1

Reaction score
I'm tired of blaming the OC. It's Garrett's, Linny's, and now Moore's fault. At some point, some accountability has to be on the qb as well.

i was only addressing your #3 and while I do think Dak has some flexibility the OC is the play caller. You mentioned in your first post about abandoning the run. That's not on Dak. Theres plenty of blame to go around as to why this team is where it is. Dak has some accountability for sure but he is well down the list

Dunks3001

Reaction score
Well he's already over 1000 yards and is one big game away from being the #1 rusher in the NFL. But, say he continues on the same path then I believe he's projected to finish with 1318 yds. He's average rushing yards per season is 1340* I believe... I might be a little off on that number. But, either way he's projected to finish around he's league average. Damn, I sound like Mickey Spags... I get what people are saying about how he doesn't seem like the same player and maybe that's true. But in terms of his contract he's giving you exactly what he's given you since he entered the league. And that's what they Cowboys paid for, right? Did we think he was gonna get paid and be even better? Does it ever work out that way for any player?

* Yes, I realize his 2017 season brings he's Average way down since he was suspended. It is what it is.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
It all has to do with perception. He is the highest paid RB in the NFL, and he is;

5th in total rushing yards (even though he is 3rd in attempts)
23rd in yards/attempt
5th in TDs (tied)
6th in yards/game

Looks like it could be a case of "fat and happy".

If he were making $7 million a year less, nobody would be complaining.

JMO

Dallasfann

Reaction score
And he's not going to be until he gets a monetary safety valve..

I don't think anyone should blame him. His body is his investment, and running increases the chance of him ending his career, which in turn pays the bills.

He will never be a good enough runner in the NFL to warrant having to run RPO all damn game just because he can't read a defense.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Your post seems to suggest he runs a lot of plays from under center without the play fake, and routinely fails, and I don't believe that is accurate. He generally goes under center in run situations when the play fake would be the right thing to do if we decide to pass.
That's not what I was implying. We never run passes from under center at all unless it is play-action. Never. Really pay attention this next game because you won't see him ever take the snap, do a 3-5 step drop and throw the pass. Not having that in the play-book at all is a huge disadvantage. It makes it easier for the defense to figure out what you're doing. That's what I was implying.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly think

1. Dak is improving as a pocket passer, and he's throwing more passes

2. This is Moore's first year as the OC

3. Dak's contract

In fact, part of this team's problem is that it abandons the run even when it IS working(Bills, Patriots game)

:facepalm:

Tussinman

Reaction score
People are over-reacting on everything since the team record is bad (if the cowboys where 9-4 right now literally nobody would be complaining about zeke).

Hell people are so mad about the record that there even crying about the freaking offensive line. The offensive line that's #1 in passing, #7 in running, and pressure/sack count is DOWN from last year........... (lol)

Fans can be stubborn sometimes

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He isn’t having a bad year. He has just not been worthy of the 4th overall pick in the draft and a huge contract extension since his rookie year.

So my questions are: was 2016 a fluke? Where is that RB and how can we get him back?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not what I was implying. We never run passes from under center at all unless it is play-action. Never. Really pay attention this next game because you won't see him ever take the snap, do a 3-5 step drop and throw the pass. Not having that in the play-book at all is a huge disadvantage. It makes it easier for the defense to figure out what you're doing. That's what I was implying.
Again, that's because the plays we run from under center are running situations, so it doesn't make sense to not go play action if we decide to pass. Why in the world would you not run a play fake in that situation?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I honestly think

3. Dak's contract

In fact, part of this team's problem is that it abandons the run even when it IS working(Bills, Patriots game)

The problem is 6-7 on our way to 6-8 represents a large underperformance from a team that was supposed to contend. Zeke will end up with decent stats but he hasn’t been great at all. Certainly not with that contract. No one should be surprised though. He had no camp. Looked pudgy coming in. Now he likes to take himself out of the game after a 10 yard run.

The culture is toxic in Dallas.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I honestly think

3. Dak's contract

Zeke's not having a bad year Columbo and K Moore are. K Moore is doing good with the passing game but what a horrible run game he calls.

We have a great O Line and we can't open up holes...lol

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depends on one’s expectations.

he can have a good to great year and there will be those saying is is not, because they expect more, because of his contract.
Then there will be those that say is is living up to his contract, though not very many, because you can’t expect him to be the entire team.

I think he is having a subpar performance overall, compared to my expectations. But will not judge based on his contract. As the entire team and coaching is at fault for the entire teams crappy performance.

I still say much of it is play calling and pass happy Moore.
But the defense and ST’s and coaching fail to give the offense better field position to have a better opportunity.

I think what many believe is subpar is his lack of long runs, and lack of long TD tuns. Which some think should happen every game. However they don’t happen for most RB’s, but he should have longer runs regardless.

Zeke is 5th in yards but 26th(3runs) in runs of 20+ yards. Compare to 2018 with 11 20+ yard runs, 2016 he had 14. Sad but in 2017 he only had 5 but we all know that was 6 games short and he seemed distracted by good ole roger.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I honestly think

3. Dak's contract

Dak’s improvement as a passer, or at least the increase in the passing attack should be helping Zeke, because the defenses are playing more honest.

Folks are trying to find reasons to explain Zeke’s middling performance. I think it’s clear he’s not the explosive player he was Ohio State and his rookie year.

He’s averaging a respectable 4.4 YPC but is not breaking any long runs. That tells you the offensive line is opening up lanes at the LOS, but Zeke is failing to make guys miss (either through sheer speed or shiftiness) on the second level.

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. He's not had a bad year.

But he's not had a great year and he's paid to have great years. Therein lies the problem.
I think the problem lies with unrealistic fanbase who are overly emotional and looking for places to point the finger.
Fans seem to forget that Emmitt, Sanders, Walter Payton didnt lead the league in rushing every year of their careers.

Any attempt at a logical discussion of Zeke around here just turns into a mob of angry fans pointing to his salary....the total.. not the 6.3m this season.

This pattern will repeat when Dak, Amari, and anyone else get a new contract. If they are not the top person in the league at their position these same people will attack.
It's going to be fun.

superonyx

Reaction score
Is Zeke playing at the level commensurate to his salary?
I'd say he is playing over his salary this year.
I can find many players who are earning more than 6.3m this year and are not playing up to Zeke's performance. Including this entire offensive line.

superonyx

Reaction score
He is not having a bad year it’s just for what we have seen and being the highest paid at his position the exceptions are higher. He can’t just be having a decent year he needs to be dominating to justify his huge cap hit.
His cap hit is $6.3m

You were saying?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'll ask you this question.

While he's not "having a bad year" - which I agree with, would you say he's earning that big raise?
Ask yourself this question next season when Urban is here and Zeke the Garrett effect has left his body. Zeke has never been as timid as this season. 2016 he still had the Urban factor. I think when he was drafted he was undefeated on the road as a RB. (i know its a team stat) i am just saying. He is a closer. But now with Garrett having made him a "aw shucks" kinda guy. He has regressed. Urban coming in here. He will be for one thing for sure. IN SHAPE.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ask yourself this question next season when Urban is here and Zeke the Garrett effect has left his body. Zeke has never been as timid as this season. 2016 he still had the Urban factor. I think when he was drafted he was undefeated on the road as a RB. (i know its a team stat) i am just saying. He is a closer. But now with Garrett having made him a "aw shucks" kinda guy. He has regressed. Urban coming in here. He will be for one thing for sure. IN SHAPE.

And this offensive line will start to get back to 'dishing it out' instead of taking it as well. I can't wait.