CFZ Unpopular Opinion: Sometimes You Just Lay an Egg

817Gill

Reaction score
I know we looked sloppy and unmotivated yesterday in what ended up being a meaningless game, but am I the only one who feels like we are overreacting to the loss?

Hear me out:

1) Ala thread title, sometimes you just lay an egg all around. Two special teams gaffes, sloppy play throughout, and one of Dak’s worse games as a pro. This and Tampa have been the only two games all year we fell completely flat all game with no bounce back. Ish happens, every team has one or two of those a season.

2) You could also lump the Titans game into this but we clearly and obviously ran a vanilla gameplan on both sides of the ball. Plenty of first down runs up the gut, very few bootlegs and rollouts, and very little creativity with route concepts (a whole lotta curls and comebacks). With backups getting a shot on defense, we made simple calls to see where those guys were at.

3) I think the 27 year drought has made some of us a bit unrealistic but this isn’t only true to our fanbase. Fans all over are super hypercritical these days. Every team this year has had a stinker or two, everyone. This team has either controlled or been right there in all but two games this year. Players are human and they have off-days and sometimes in an 18 week season a team will not bring the energy and get beat bad. Happens to all the teams. Philly versus Washington is a great example.

4) That game wasn’t the 2021 Broncos game. Washington didn’t figure anything out. They didn’t expose weaknesses or provide a blueprint, we just had a sorry game. In 2018 we layed an egg versus Indy and still went and won a playoff game and were a 4th down stop away from having a chance to tie the Divisional game. Washington didn’t do anything new or try new wrinkles, we just sucked and that happens from time to time.

We overreact to each game way too much. Win big and we are elite and lose and we are the same old Cowboys. Reality is somewhere in the middle. Even if we had won 30-10 yesterday, would you really feel any different about the team?

We know who we are regardless of that game. We are a good but not great team and probably about the 3rd best in the NFC. At our best we can beat anyone, and at our worse we could lose to anyone. The team is consistently inconsistent, and that is the narrative regardless of how yesterday had went. Doesn’t matter what happened in that game, either way we need to be the Dr. Jekyll version of our team for 3 games and not the Mr. Hyde version. Had we won that game yesterday, is anyone any more confident about our consistency? I think not.

The loss has changed nothing for me. I kinda got the vibe about halfway into that game that it was just going to be one of those days. Was not really pissed after the game because sometimes you have a day where nothing goes right and that’s what happened. Regardless of if we won or lost, the feeling is still the same with this team. What version of this team shows up in the postseason? No amount of week 18 victories or losses in seemingly meaningless games would have changed that.

Silver lining is that coming off of an embarrassing loss, this team usually comes out much better. Coming off a comfortable win, this team has the propensity to be sluggish. I’d much rather them have a bad taste in their mouth to end the season than them do what they did to Philly’s backups last year and have them smelling themselves. I think we see a much better outing versus Tampa. Much rather them lay an egg week 18 than in the playoffs.

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading my think piece lol.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I know we looked sloppy and unmotivated yesterday in what ended up being a meaningless game, but am I the only one who feels like we are overreacting to the loss?

Hear me out:

1) Ala thread title, sometimes you just lay an egg all around. Two special teams gaffes, sloppy play throughout, and one of Dak’s worse games as a pro. This and Tampa have been the only two games all year we fell completely flat all game with no bounce back. Ish happens, every team has one or two of those a season.

2) You could also lump the Titans game into this but we clearly and obviously ran a vanilla gameplan on both sides of the ball. Plenty of first down runs up the gut, very few bootlegs and rollouts, and very little creativity with route concepts (a whole lotta curls and comebacks). With backups getting a shot on defense, we made simple calls to see where those guys were at.

3) I think the 27 year drought has made some of us a bit unrealistic but this isn’t only true to our fanbase. Fans all over are super hypercritical these days. Every team this year has had a stinker or two, everyone. This team has either controlled or been right there in all but two games this year. Players are human and they have off-days and sometimes in an 18 week season a team will not bring the energy and get beat bad. Happens to all the teams. Philly versus Washington is a great example.

4) That game wasn’t the 2021 Broncos game. Washington didn’t figure anything out. They didn’t expose weaknesses or provide a blueprint, we just had a sorry game. In 2018 we layed an egg versus Indy and still went and won a playoff game and were a 4th down stop away from having a chance to tie the Divisional game. Washington didn’t do anything new or try new wrinkles, we just sucked and that happens from time to time.

We overreact to each game way too much. Win big and we are elite and lose and we are the same old Cowboys. Reality is somewhere in the middle. Even if we had won 30-10 yesterday, would you really feel any different about the team?

We know who we are regardless of that game. We are a good but not great team and probably about the 3rd best in the NFC. At our best we can beat anyone, and at our worse we could lose to anyone. The team is consistently inconsistent, and that is the narrative regardless of how yesterday had went. Doesn’t matter what happened in that game, either way we need to be the Dr. Jekyll version of our team for 3 games and not the Mr. Hyde version. Had we won that game yesterday, is anyone any more confident about our consistency? I think not.

The loss has changed nothing for me. I kinda got the vibe about halfway into that game that it was just going to be one of those days. Was not really pissed after the game because sometimes you have a day where nothing goes right and that’s what happened. Regardless if we won or lost, the feeling is still the same with this team. What version of this team shows up in the postseason? No amount of week 18 victories or losses in seemingly meaningless games would have changed that.

Silver lining is that coming off of an embarrassing loss, this team usually comes out much better. Coming off a comfortable win, this team has the propensity to be sluggish. I’d much rather them have a bad taste in their mouth to end the season than them do what they did to Philly’s backups last year and have them smelling themselves. I think we see a much better outing versus Tampa.

The Cowboys will come to play next week. I just don’t know if it will be enough to win. The injuries to the offensive line and secondary might be to much to overcome.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Hear me out:

The loss has changed nothing for me. I kinda got the vibe about halfway into that game that it was just going to be one of those days. Was not really pissed after the game because sometimes you have a day where nothing goes right and that’s what happened. Regardless of if we won or lost, the feeling is still the same with this team. What version of this team shows up in the postseason? No amount of week 18 victories or losses in seemingly meaningless games would have changed that.

Silver lining is that coming off of an embarrassing loss, this team usually comes out much better. Coming off a comfortable win, this team has the propensity to be sluggish. I’d much rather them have a bad taste in their mouth to end the season than them do what they did to Philly’s backups last year and have them smelling themselves. I think we see a much better outing versus Tampa. Much rather them lay an egg week 18 than in the playoffs.

Since Philly did not win, I'm glad we lost. And I'm glad we lost the way we did. If nothing else, it should light a fire under the team heading into the playoffs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yesterday was 1 of 17 games played this season. Thankfully a loss like that still only counts as 1 loss. At this point all they can do it watch the film and get ready for Tampa. Feeling sorry for themselves will not make it better. It is now win or go home, they should be focused on Tampa and yes I expect them to come out ready to play.

Cmac

Reaction score

Hear me out:

Your welcome. You may have a calling as a Motivational Speaker or Therapist. That stank yesterday is now smelling alright.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The fact it was a meaningless game had a lot to do with the way we played than most think.
This does not make any sense nor do the claims of playing vanilla to not show any thing on film for the Bucs. If these were true then we would not have played any starters. You don't risk starters in a truly meaningless game or to play possum. It would literally be stupid to do so.

Nope, this team laid yet another egg in a "statement" game. That is why there are so many black pills and doom & gloom about our prospects in Tampa.

817Gill

Reaction score
I don't disagree but 10 3 and outs is more than just an egg. A performance like that can destroy the confidence of some players, like Dak for example.
I think that’s entirely dependent on the context. Had it been a mid season game against a good team where the team is still trying to figure itself out and was stymied while putting together a normal gameplan then yes.

But if they came out with a super vanilla gameplan and were going through the motions, I don’t see how that one performance can rattle them. They still have many more games of positive offensive input than games like that.

817Gill

Reaction score
Your welcome. You may have a calling as a Motivational Speaker or Therapist. That stank yesterday is now smelling alright.
Haha thanks my guy. Usually give it a day to let everyone calm down, cooler heads start to pop out Monday.

817Gill

Reaction score
This does not make any sense nor do the claims of playing vanilla to not show any thing on film for the Bucs. If these were true then we would not have played any starters. You don't risk starters in a truly meaningless game or to play possum. It would literally be stupid to do so.

Nope, this team laid yet another egg in a "statement" game. That is why there are so many black pills and doom & gloom about our prospects in Tampa.
Well with the “yet another egg” you’re making it seem like this team has been laying them all season. Once in week 1 and once in week 18, very normal amount of egg laying.

Also, this is what is strange to me. How the heck was that a statement game? Week 18 versus a team out of playoff contention is now a statement game? The statement game was Philly, not Tennessee on a short week and not Washington with them having nothing to play for.

This was a classic “we don’t care that much” game. Is it disappointing that they came out that way, yes. Is it an illustration of how we play against good teams? No lol. We are 7-1 this season I believe against teams with winning records. Let’s not act like this last game meant much at all in terms of making a statement.

Surfguy

Reaction score
It's more than that. We were manhandled and abused a lot of the times. Yea...you lay an egg but the fox was in the henhouse ripping the hens apart at the same time.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The fact it was a meaningless game had a lot to do with the way we played than most think.
The Niners also needed the Giants to win to improve their standing. They didn't use the slim chances of that happening as an excuse to play like bums. They won 38-13.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Well with the “yet another egg” you’re making it seem like this team has been laying them all season. Once in week 1 and once in week 18, very normal amount of egg laying.

Also, this is what is strange to me. How the heck was that a statement game? Week 18 versus a team out of playoff contention is now a statement game? The statement game was Philly, not Tennessee on a short week and not Washington with them having nothing to play for.

This was a classic “we don’t care that much” game. Is it disappointing that they came out that way, yes. Is it an illustration of how we play against good teams? No lol. We are 7-1 this season I believe against teams with winning records. Let’s not act like this last game meant much at all in terms of making a statement.
Right. Buffalo was laying an egg every 3rd week in 2021 and didn't stop the media from riding their nuts all year and talking about them only when they're winning and going silent when they lose to Jacksonville or Josh Allen has a 17.0 rating against Atlanta.

I agree with you...we had 2 horrible games this year, and that's definitely not a lot. Even MVP Rodgers laid two eggs last year.... first game of the year, and the last. Tho that last egg he laid was a very costly egg.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
The Niners also needed the Giants to win to improve their standing. They didn't use the slim chances of that happening as an excuse to play like bums. They won 38-13.
This is the Cardinals we're talking about. Everyone knew Kingsbury was gone, and they all quit on him weeks ago.

If the Niners had the Cowboys schedule, one wonders if they'd be 13-4. They basically played 2 strong teams all year. Only division that gave them troubles were the AFC West which isn't even considered a strong division this year. They went 2-2 against them and those 2 wins were the two most tightly contested matches they had all year.