CFZ Unpopular Opinion: Sometimes You Just Lay an Egg

817Gill

Reaction score
Right. Buffalo was laying an egg every 3rd week in 2021 and didn't stop the media from riding their nuts all year and talking about them only when they're winning and going silent when they lose to Jacksonville or Josh Allen has a 17.0 rating against Atlanta.

I agree with you...we had 2 horrible games this year, and that's definitely not a lot. Even MVP Rodgers laid two eggs last year.... first game of the year, and the last. Tho that last egg he laid was a very costly egg.
Yup exactly

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It would not surprise me at all......
Some of the homers are thinking of ways to bash me and you, we don't stop the run well, this team we're playing I'm sure doesn't have a great running attack or didn't recently, yet against our great defense they should set a playoff record

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It wasn't just one egg though. We haven't played well in weeks.

Can I see them playing better? Sure. Well enough? Doubtful.

But when you trot your starters out there for most of the game and can't get a first down, it's deeply concerning.

And watching young, inexperienced QB's competently run their offenses while we can't get a first down is also very unpleasant.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The offense started off weak, but I think Turpin's muffed punt just deflated the whole team. I feel like they were probably on the sideline talking each other up to get going, then didn't get the chance to act on it, and never got it back.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Personally, I think they should have benched some guys, including Dak, as punishment. Show them that playing like that has consequences other than losing as a team. Losing individual playing time and being embarrassed by your coach is still a way to motivate, when other, gentler ways lead to the garbage we saw Sunday.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Everything is awesome. Everything is cool when you're part of a team.

817Gill

Reaction score
It wasn't just one egg though. We haven't played well in weeks.

Can I see them playing better? Sure. Well enough? Doubtful.

But when you trot your starters out there for most of the game and can't get a first down, it's deeply concerning.

And watching young, inexperienced QB's competently run their offenses while we can't get a first down is also very unpleasant.
Other than this week and Tampa, what eggs have we layed? By the way an egg is just a complete failure of a game, we are 12-3 outside the two aforementioned losses. Two losses in overtime and one to Philly with a backup, what games are you considering eggs?

I agree that there’s two sides of the season. First half defense was great offense was meh, second half offense has been really good defense meh. We need to put them together but I don’t see the “haven’t played well in weeks” thing. We just put up 40 against a top 5 defense in Philly.

My major point is the Washington game has no effect on how this squad is perceived. We knew we were inconsistent before the game, even if we won 30-10 we would just write it off as playing a bad Washington team.

817Gill

Reaction score
The offense started off weak, but I think Turpin's muffed punt just deflated the whole team. I feel like they were probably on the sideline talking each other up to get going, then didn't get the chance to act on it, and never got it back.
Eh, the muff ended up not mattering since they missed the FG. If anyone was getting going they should’ve been ready to go after the missed FG 3 plays later.

bewp7

Reaction score
well i agree

but they have not look good since maybe before thanksgiving even when they did win

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They didnt show up..period. If they cant show up next week, this team needs diferent direction for sure, BUT next weeks game will have nothing to do with the egg they laid last Sunday.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I know we looked sloppy and unmotivated yesterday in what ended up being a meaningless game, but am I the only one who feels like we are overreacting to the loss?

Hear me out:

1) Ala thread title, sometimes you just lay an egg all around. Two special teams gaffes, sloppy play throughout, and one of Dak’s worse games as a pro. This and Tampa have been the only two games all year we fell completely flat all game with no bounce back. Ish happens, every team has one or two of those a season.

2) You could also lump the Titans game into this but we clearly and obviously ran a vanilla gameplan on both sides of the ball. Plenty of first down runs up the gut, very few bootlegs and rollouts, and very little creativity with route concepts (a whole lotta curls and comebacks). With backups getting a shot on defense, we made simple calls to see where those guys were at.

3) I think the 27 year drought has made some of us a bit unrealistic but this isn’t only true to our fanbase. Fans all over are super hypercritical these days. Every team this year has had a stinker or two, everyone. This team has either controlled or been right there in all but two games this year. Players are human and they have off-days and sometimes in an 18 week season a team will not bring the energy and get beat bad. Happens to all the teams. Philly versus Washington is a great example.

4) That game wasn’t the 2021 Broncos game. Washington didn’t figure anything out. They didn’t expose weaknesses or provide a blueprint, we just had a sorry game. In 2018 we layed an egg versus Indy and still went and won a playoff game and were a 4th down stop away from having a chance to tie the Divisional game. Washington didn’t do anything new or try new wrinkles, we just sucked and that happens from time to time.

We overreact to each game way too much. Win big and we are elite and lose and we are the same old Cowboys. Reality is somewhere in the middle. Even if we had won 30-10 yesterday, would you really feel any different about the team?

We know who we are regardless of that game. We are a good but not great team and probably about the 3rd best in the NFC. At our best we can beat anyone, and at our worse we could lose to anyone. The team is consistently inconsistent, and that is the narrative regardless of how yesterday had went. Doesn’t matter what happened in that game, either way we need to be the Dr. Jekyll version of our team for 3 games and not the Mr. Hyde version. Had we won that game yesterday, is anyone any more confident about our consistency? I think not.

The loss has changed nothing for me. I kinda got the vibe about halfway into that game that it was just going to be one of those days. Was not really pissed after the game because sometimes you have a day where nothing goes right and that’s what happened. Regardless of if we won or lost, the feeling is still the same with this team. What version of this team shows up in the postseason? No amount of week 18 victories or losses in seemingly meaningless games would have changed that.

Silver lining is that coming off of an embarrassing loss, this team usually comes out much better. Coming off a comfortable win, this team has the propensity to be sluggish. I’d much rather them have a bad taste in their mouth to end the season than them do what they did to Philly’s backups last year and have them smelling themselves. I think we see a much better outing versus Tampa. Much rather them lay an egg week 18 than in the playoffs.

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading my think piece lol.
I agree with some of this. My main issues are that the loss was really bad and its part of a broader trend. I don't think this team has looked good since the Colts game. Defensively they have fallen apart. Pressure was the game and they can't get any pressure now. The only way to beat Brady is to knock him around. They have 6 days to get it together.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it matter ?

The season is over, we are in the playoffs and going to play arch nemesis Brady.

It is a new season, but loser goes home. So go and win.

So this rotten egg they laid, who cares. If they play like that again, yes, there needs to be some big changes. But we know that will not happen at QB. They can only fix what is around him, as well as any coaching changes. But Jerry already stated that will not happen. We are stuck with Rowdy...er...Moore...

It happened, they looked bad, all we can do is move on to the playoff game. I get the venting. But some of it is comical, as usual.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Other than this week and Tampa, what eggs have we layed?
Not to get bogged down in definitions, I feel like we have played some very poor games. We could have really put pressure on the #1 seed and entered the playoffs feeling good. Instead they have been largely dysfunctional.

817Gill

Reaction score
Not to get bogged down in definitions, I feel like we have played some very poor games. We could have really put pressure on the #1 seed and entered the playoffs feeling good. Instead they have been largely dysfunctional.
I get you, only two true eggs but a bunch of sloppy performances overall. Need to get buttoned up for sure.