Unsung Player that you miss

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the "that you miss" part, I'd say Dale Hellestrae. Fortunately, our long-snapping has been in good hands with L.P. Ladouceur.

It's strange to think that Ladouceur has been the Cowboys' long snapper (2005-present) longer than Hellestrae was (1990-2000). Hopefully, when Ladouceur wraps up his career, we'll be able to find another one as good as those two have been for our team.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
The OP selects "Almost Anthony" Spencer!?!... lol.

When he wasn't sitting at home living off the frachise designation for two seasons,
Spencer led the league in "almost" actually making plays. Missed sacks. Failure to
set the edge. Nearly making up for poor technique.

I don't see him as unsung. More of a bust due to injury. I know he had a short stretch
before the microfracture surgery. I remember one of the big draft pundits picked Spencer
to win defensive ROY.

But I do appreciate the thread idea so I'll be sure to go back and hit "like".

I guess Bill Bates is too easy to pick. My selection is Charlie Waters.
Tip of the cap to the poster who mentioned Cliff Harris. I'm not sure he
fits the criteria. I mean, the guy should be in the HOF. The mention of Harris
reminded me of Waters.

By the way, Harris and Waters published a book together a while ago. A long while ago. (lol)
Any Cowboys fan over 45 should probably have it in their library.
I never got see Charlie Waters play but from his highlights and his commentary on "America's Game" definitely a favorite of mine.

erod

Reaction score
Brock Marion
Darrin Smith
Mike Hegman
Tony Tolbert
Kevin Gogan

starfan1

Reaction score
Even though he drove me insane in his early years Ill admit #9 was underappreciated. I think he got more criticism than he deserved and at a times more credit. I am one who put on the prior more than the latter. Ill also say #28 even though he probably wasn't underappreciated but I miss him our secondary hasn't been the same since his departure.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Even though he drove me insane in his early years Ill admit #9 was underappreciated. I think he got more criticism than he deserved and at a times more credit. I am one who put on the prior more than the latter. Ill also say #28 even though he probably wasn't underappreciated but I miss him our secondary hasn't been the same since his departure.
By the time he put it all together his body was breaking down. The person that appreciates him the most is Garrett. I still blame Romo for him being employed.

starfan1

Reaction score
By the time he put it all together his body was breaking down. The person that appreciates him the most is Garrett. I still blame Romo for him being employed.
yes I agree with all that. And he better hope that it all comes together with this team this year because i really think anything short of championship game may have him unemployed. But then again this is Jerry and perhaps Garrett has incriminating pictures of him with a goat.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
yes I agree with all that. And he better hope that it all comes together with this team this year because i really think anything short of championship game may have him unemployed. But then again this is Jerry and perhaps Garrett has incriminating pictures of him with a goat.
I've said championship game or bust for a few years now. This finally looks to be the year one or the other happen.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Lots of "sung" players being mentioned in this thread...many definitely not in the "unsung" category in my view (but I understand the sentiments)...I will contributed a few of my own (in no particular order):

- Scott Laidlaw
- Jay Saldi
- Duane Thomas (ok, perhaps not unsung but definitely underrated in terms of his potential greatness had he stayed and what that would've meant to that great 70's era)
- Kenneth Gant
- Matt Vanderbeek (our first tackling Dutchman ;))
- Tony Casillas/Jimmie Jones (their value to those 90's D-lines were immense)
- Ron Springs
- Kelvin Martin
- DD Lewis
- James Washington
- Current roster: Joe Looney

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Some more..

Scott Case
Chad Hennings
Bradie James
James Washington
Kenny Gant

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chad Hennings
Tony Casillas
Jimmie Jones
Thomas Everett
James Washington

CowboyMort

Reaction score
My list:
Brock Marion- because he was two years younger than me and went to my high school
Leon Lett- He was David Irving (talent wise) before Irving was born
Jay Novecek- We could use a TE like him right now
Erik Williams- Still one of the nastiest physical players I have ever seen play
Bill Bates- One of my all time favorites

Not really unsung, but Randy White was great to watch play. Wouldn't mind a guy like him again. The Manster Rules!

hendog86

Reaction score
DeVonte Holloman. Kid was gonna be a player for us.
I never got see Charlie Waters play but from his highlights and his commentary on "America's Game" definitely a favorite of mine.

Charlie was my uncle’s (my dads youngest brother) roommate at Clemson. He came to visit my uncle in the early 70’s as a member of the cowboys at my grandparents resort. Of course all the women were in love and us kids were in awe. He was like a rock star. But very friendly and down to earth. He was wearing a Dallas Cowboys T-shirt and I was an instant fan and have been ever since. I got to see him again in Washington when he was doing radio for the cowboys. Just always a class act and a great dude!