Update on TEs

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't even hate LaPorta over Mayer. I wouldn't have called LaPorta a first round pick, but if you put it that way... shoot. I can work with it.

Majic

Reaction score
Usually this amount of smoke prior to draft is accurate. We all knew Tyler Smith was coming, Vander each etc. Parsons and CeeDee were surprises because they dropped
I'm still not buying it.. As Stephen Jones said there is depth at the position through t draft (if they actually need a TE)

Carson

Reaction score
If we draft Musgrave or LaPorta at 26, they better end up trading for Aaron Donald or TJ Watt to keep the masses from storming the fort

Absolutely terrible

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Everybody knows they want Will McDonald. I feel like they don’t need to hide that
I think he is in consideration if he makes it that far, but still believe the top 2 TE's are the favorites. I wouldn't be shocked if they pass Wright for either one, but if McDonald is there, that will be interesting who they decide to take. Some buzz there could be some off the field concerns.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The more I hear the worse it sounds lol…
LaPorta isn't happening, I can almost guarantee that. Strongly believe the decision will come on to TE or McDonald. Unless someone falls unexpectedly like Porter, who is falling.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't even hate LaPorta over Mayer. I wouldn't have called LaPorta a first round pick, but if you put it that way... shoot. I can work with it.
I’ve got both as 2nd rounders.

Probably not a popular opinion but I’m with you. If Kincaid is gone and we’re going TE only give me the dude that can run and has a 1.59 10 yard split that is better than JSNs.

Gosh I hope all this TE crap is smoke.

Carson

Reaction score
I’ve got both as 2nd rounders.

Probably not a popular opinion but I’m with you. If Kincaid is gone and we’re going TE only give me the dude that can run and has a 1.59 10 yard split that is better than JSNs.

Gosh I hope all this TE crap is smoke.
My hopes are

1a Kincaid
1b Gibbs
1c McDonald

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
LaPorta hasn't been discussed that much on here in all the Mayer wars, so let me give y'all the pitch.
  • 4.59 40
  • 110 speed score. 105 is the threshold for highly successful tight ends, so he checks a very critical box. As far as size-speed ratio, he's not far off of Washington and Musgrave (both like 114).
  • Broke tackles like a mother. Most broken tackles by a TE in the FBS last season. That's another key predictor of TE success, and he smashed it.
  • Played a bunch of slot. Projects easily there at the next level. Dak loves slot receivers - this guy projects directly into our offense.

Things you won't like
  • Bad at blocking
  • Drops a bunch of passes (he's no Kincaid).

In short, he checks every box to translate as a pro, he's got much more receiving potential than Mayer, and he carries a lot less risk than Musgrave or Washington.

I'd probably still take Washington over him, cause Washington has so much potential as a blocker. But LaPorta's just a straight-up better prospect than Musgrave. Much more proven.