Update on TEs

cnuball21

Reaction score
My hopes are

1a Kincaid
1b Gibbs
1c McDonald
If the Cowboys are TE or bust I can get on board with Kincaid at 26 but would be disappointed with anyone else.

Just think we could get such better value later.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
LaPorta hasn't been discussed that much on here in all the Mayer wars, so let me give y'all the pitch.

-4.59 40

-110 speed score. 105 is the threshold for highly successful tight ends, so he checks a very critical box. As far as size-speed ratio, he's not far off of Washington and Musgrave (both like 114).

-Broke tackles like a mother. Most broken tackles by a TE in the FBS last season. That's another key predictor of TE success, and he smashed it.

-Played a bunch of slot. Projects easily there at the next level. Dak loves slot receivers - this guy projects directly into our offense.

Things you won't like

-Bad at blocking

-Drops a bunch of passes (he's no Kincaid).

In short, he checks every box to translate as a pro, he's got much more receiving potential than Mayer, and he carries a lot less risk than Musgrave or Washington. I'd probably still take Washington over him, cause Washington has so much potential as a blocker. But LaPorta's just a straight-up better prospect than Musgrave. Much more proven.
He is small for a TE 6-3 -245

Sydla

Reaction score

Look, I actually like LaPorta the most, but in Rd 1?!

LaPorta, I like.

At 26, I don't like. Would be a total reach.

But it sure seems like TE is where they want to go in the first. As we get closer, the beats like Slater can usually zoom in on where Dallas is looking.

LaPorta at 26, especially if Gibbs is there or McDonald is there, makes little sense to me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't even hate LaPorta over Mayer. I wouldn't have called LaPorta a first round pick, but if you put it that way... shoot. I can work with it.
What have I been telling y’all?

It would not surprise me if some teams had Laporta higher than Mayer…

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LaPorta, I like.

At 26, I don't like. Would be a total reach.

But it sure seems like TE is where they want to go in the first. As we get closer, the beats like Slater can usually zoom in on where Dallas is looking.

LaPorta at 26, especially if Gibbs is there or McDonald is there, makes little sense to me.
Is it though?

If it’s only Dallas competing with themselves then yeah it’s upsetting but Laporta and Musgrave both look like they have more potential as receiving threats than Mayer.

Jipper

Reaction score
It won't be a TE unless it's Kincaid, the value just isn't there...this feel like 80% smoke screen

Sydla

Reaction score
Is it though?

If it’s only Dallas competing with themselves then yeah it’s upsetting but Laporta and Musgrave both look like they have more potential as receiving threats than Mayer.
Yeah it's a reach. I mean is LaPorta that much better a prospect than say the guys in that 2nd round/3rd round range like maybe Kuntz or Kraft? Not to me.

Mayer keeps getting dumped on but he's a more complete TE than both those guys and I'd bet dollars to donuts more productive than those guys. The only two TEs, I consider taking over him (or I can see the logic behind) is Kincaid because his ceiling is Kelce given his pass catching skills and Washington, whose size and potential definitely is off the charts. Other than that, I am not sure I'd take LaPorta or Musgrave over Mayer.

Now if you are saying I can have LaPorta or Musgrave at 58 over Mayer at 26? Sold. But if you are telling me Musgrave or LaPorta over Mayer at 26? Yeah, I am getting off that bus.

Sydla

Reaction score
It won't be a TE unless it's Kincaid, the value just isn't there...this feel like 80% smoke screen
We say this every year and then they end up picking the guy that is largely rumored in the media. We were linked to Tyler Smith, people said it was a smokescreen, and then boom, we took him. Same with LVE.

I think TE is definitely one of their, if not the, top position they are looking at here at 26. They were clear they wanted to add players on offense around Dak. Other than Cooks, they've done nothinig.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah it's a reach. I mean is LaPorta that much better a prospect than say the guys in that 2nd round/3rd round range like maybe Kuntz or Kraft? Not to me.

Mayer keeps getting dumped on but he's a more complete TE than both those guys and I'd bet dollars to donuts more productive than those guys. The only two TEs, I consider taking over him (or I can see the logic behind) is Kincaid because his ceiling is Kelce given his pass catching skills and Washington, whose size and potential definitely is off the charts. Other than that, I am not sure I'd take LaPorta or Musgrave over Mayer.

Now if you are saying I can have LaPorta or Musgrave at 58 over Mayer at 26? Sold. But if you are telling me Musgrave or LaPorta over Mayer at 26? Yeah, I am getting off that bus.
I just look at Mayer and I don’t see him as this sure thing round 1 guy that’s significantly better than these other guys who look like they have much better pro potential.

Mayer is just such a poor athlete.

To be clear.. I want Gibbs or Darnell Wright lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
I just look at Mayer and I don’t see him as this sure thing round 1 guy that’s significantly better than these other guys who look like they have much better pro potential.

Mayer is just such a poor athlete.

To be clear.. I want Gibbs or Darnell Wright lol.

I think we've gotten to the point as CalPoly said, people are so over the top in dogging Mayer saying he can't run, too slow to compete in the NFL, etc. that he's gone from maybe overrated to now underrated by some. I don't want him at 26. But if my only choices at 26 are him, LaPorta or Musgrave because we are locked into a TE there, it's a pretty obvious choice for me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys aren’t the smoke screening bunch.

McShay and Daniel Jeremiah both having us Musgrave.

They heard something.

Jipper

Reaction score
Cowboys aren’t the smoke screening bunch.

McShay and Daniel Jeremiah both having us Musgrave.

They heard something.
Yuck in the 1st...that would be a stretch

Trade back to 2nd and maybe there but not in the 1st...just no value compared to what will likely be left

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Again, I tried to tell yall lol. Nfl teams seem to grade players closer to me than experts. :laugh:

cnuball21

Reaction score
If we're going to reach for a TE might as well swing for the fences with Washington...road grader in the run game and athletic profile to be dominant in the passing game if he figures it out.

Bizwah

Reaction score
A couple of things to note:

1. Jane Slater is plugged in
2. The last several years, if a name is mentioned we all hate....that will be the pick.

Sam LaPorta will be the pick.