Updated Mini Big Board

cnuball21

Reaction score
With Fredbeard retiring an new philosophy will be needed pertaining to the draft. This changes lots of draft value for us.
Agree Jeudy and Lamb are gone at 17, what position left impacts the team most in year one that is left on the board. I see more value with these WR's than you do at this time in late March. I also have the feeling we only have Gallup for another year. Hopefully we have a season to prove me right or wrong this year.

It depends on who’s there. As of now a CB, DT or pass rusher may fall.

I think you’re really reaching for a WR at 17 that isn’t Lamb/Jeudy.

Why in the world would we only have Gallup for 1 more year? He’s an ascending player still improving coming off a 1K yard season.

DanA

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
Not meaning to be condescending, English is my first language and I had been speaking another language most of the day which probably promoted my abnormal syntax.
With Frederick retiring my premise of improving the offense in one year to make up for the deficit in the defense has sprung some major leaks. Losing Frederick and Byron Jones is a huge blow to the team which cannot be remedied in one year of this I am convinced. Oline just got added to the menu at pick 17 and the season just got harder.
I disagree on Henderson and Chaisson before Ruggs mostly on the lack of impact in the rookie season not on talent. A case could be made for both but not in year one, in my judgement Ruggs can produce from the start not so much in stats but by the opposing defense when he is on the field with Cooper, and Gallup. This makes Zeke better along with Cooper and Gallup. Not sure you get that kind of synergy and value with any of the players you have mentioned.

There are bits I agree with. I agree it's going to be tough to lose Jones and Frederick as you mentioned (and I'd add Quinn), I also agree a guy like Ruggs would have an amplifying effect lifting the output of guys like Zeke, Dak and Amari that places his value above his stats. But I'm not as confident as you that this equates to a bigger impact than a no.1 corner or pass rusher. I actually think it's the reverse.

We've beefed up the defensive interior in FA which stops QB's from stepping up into the pocket as easily as they have....that has a pretty big synergy effect with quality edge rushers. And just as having Ruggs as a receiver can take a guy out of the box. Having a guy that can play on an island at CB can allow you to put an extra man in the box. In terms of immediate impact, maybe Ruggs would have a bigger one. But in 12 months time we have Awuzie and Lewis out of contract and I'd feel a whole lot better if we had a quality corner to fall back on.

Gallups rookie contract includes 2020 and 2021. And there's every chance we re-sign him at the start of 2021 IMO.

Macnalty

Reaction score
It depends on who’s there. As of now a CB, DT or pass rusher may fall.

I think you’re really reaching for a WR at 17 that isn’t Lamb/Jeudy.

Why in the world would we only have Gallup for 1 more year? He’s an ascending player still improving coming off a 1K yard season.
Ruggs can be a game changer IMO. I am really hoping now for a olineman to magically fall down the menu. We are currently operating in an *** kicking contest with one leg without Frederick. Maybe even thinking about moving up to stop the hemorrhaging. Something to consider in early April.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ruggs can be a game changer IMO. I am really hoping now for a olineman to magically fall down the menu. We are currently operating in an *** kicking contest with one leg without Frederick. Maybe even thinking about moving up to stop the hemorrhaging. Something to consider in early April.

I like Ruggs, but not in the 1st. I also actually think we're going to be fine at C. Everyone is sleeping on McGovern, but he was a top 50 prospect on some boards and has a lot of experience starting at C. He's not going to be Frederick, but I think he can come in and be solid.

garyv

Reaction score
I also have the cornerbacks Jaylon Johnson and Jeff Gladney as trade down targets. They probably won't be there for us in round 2 and both offer the ball hawking skills they're looking for.

I like Jaylon Johnson at pick #51 and always have. I like him better than Terrell and barely behind CJ Henderson.

garyv

Reaction score
Rule #1 of the draft is pick a good player. Kenneth Murray would check that box.

I would say in the first four rounds BPA in round five fill a need in rounds 6 and 7 a punter and a QB to compete with Rush.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Jaylon Johnson at pick #51 and always have. I like him better than Terrell and barely behind CJ Henderson.

Johnsons is very solid, love him as an option in the 2nd. Unfortunately I think guys like him and Terrell will be taken in between our 1st and 2nd picks but hoping one or someone similar falls.

cowboyec

Reaction score
im warming up to the idea of Zack Baun.
i didnt watch alot if any wisconsin games this year...but i like what im hearing.
Cowboys interviewed him today and i dont think its a smoke screen.
he is a real possibility...and probably in the 1st because i dont think he'll make it to 51.
maybe we take Henderson at 17...then trade back in for Baun.
walk out of the 1st Rd with a top shelf CB and hybrid Edge player.
I still prefer Chaisson but only because he's more familiar to me.
Zack Baun has a real shot here to be the pick.
his is a name to circle.
gotta think McCarthy probably watched a wisconsin game or 2 and was impressed.

cnuball21

Reaction score
i didnt watch alot if any wisconsin games this year...but i like what im hearing.
he is a real possibility...and probably in the 1st because i dont think he'll make it to 51.
his is a name to circle.

The more you watch him I think the more you’ll like him.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
his is a name to circle.

With the lack of depth at edge rushers he could very well be a 1st rounder, or top 5 pick in the 2nd.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
@ 17:

Henderson
Brown
Kinlaw
Juedy
Lamb
Baun
Delpit (50/50 here - would like to see elite athleticism at pro day to validate)

Trade Down:

- McKinney
- Chaisson
- Gross- Matos (50/50 here - need to see solid pro day numbers)
- Fulton
I think Baun could be more of an option at 17 than people realize. Some people have been saying they would love him in the 2nd. No way he last to the 2nd, let alone our pick

Verdict

Reaction score
That’s fine. I’d the medical experts have concerns then I’m open to a LB at 17...if they don’t I am not.

I’m also on the fence on Murray. A few of the scouting reports I’ve read said slow to react and lacks instincts.

The guy is a one man wrecking crew. I think he will be a better pro than a college player because he will have better talent around him.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Baun could be more of an option at 17 than people realize. Some people have been saying they would love him in the 2nd. No way he last to the 2nd, let alone our pick

He would probably be a reach at #17.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I think he’s a legit 1st rounder. I’d be fairly surprised if he falls outside of the 1st especially in a year with such a weak pass rush class.

garyv

Reaction score
Johnsons is very solid, love him as an option in the 2nd. Unfortunately I think guys like him and Terrell will be taken in between our 1st and 2nd picks but hoping one or someone similar falls.

I agree with you 100% we would have to tradeup in the 2nd round or trade down in the 1st round and pickup an extra pick. Lot would have to happen.

garyv

Reaction score
those are the targets.
i'd add bama CB Travon Diggs.

@17...Kinlaw Henderson or Delpit.

wouldn't rule out Ou LB Kenneth Murray as a fall-back either.

solid list.
Out of those four Henderson and Kinlaw maybe not so sure on Delpit and I think Kinlaw is going earlier

cowboyec

Reaction score
totally agree.
mike nolan wants to use a variety of schemes and def looks...Baun could be an essential chess piece.
i would not be shocked if he IS the pick at 17.
i dont know if they would take him over Chaisson...but Baun is a legit prospect for us at 17.