News: Updated Projected 2023 Comp Picks

J12B

Reaction score
How does Connor Williams net Dallas a lousy 6th when he cost Dallas a much higher pick ? How does NFL calculate this .

There is a formula the NFL uses to award comp picks to teams during the free agency period.

Basically Connor signed a deal that is in the 6th round comp pick range and Dallas didn't have any signings that would discount his deal (a similar size or above I believe).

RonWashington

Reaction score
There is a formula the NFL uses to award comp picks to teams during the free agency period.

Basically Connor signed a deal that is in the 6th round comp pick range and Dallas didn't have any signings that would discount his deal (a similar size or above I believe).

That’s terrible value .

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does Connor Williams net Dallas a lousy 6th when he cost Dallas a much higher pick ? How does NFL calculate this .

Comp picks based on the amount of the contract. The top 32 or 34 contracts. No team can get more than 4 comp picks. I also thing any contracts less than a certain amount, around $1 million per year or less do not qualify. Or that used to be the number. So even if the 33rd contract is at $3 million per year, it does not count as only 32 are given out, or what ever the limit is now.

The link in the OP has other links that explains all of it as well as the complex formula they use.

AdamJT13 used to post on here, as that article even mentions him. He was never wrong with his comp predictions when he posted here.
He did this long before the website put it on their site.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If those hold that's again good business by the Dallas FO.
Especially getting a 4 NOT to overpay Gregory.

Ced Wilson going from being drafted a R6 then to WR4 to returning a 6th to go be WR4 in MIA is a boon.
Poor Ced man, he set behind Amari, CeeDee, Gallup and then saw MIA add Tyreek to go with Waddle/Devante putting him right back on the bench.
Wonder if he wishes he were back in Dallas? Perhaps not when he is laying out on South Beach.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And how many dumb arse penalties did he have at crucial points? Gregory stoning Jerry was a blessing in disguise

I think so too just cause he has never been able to play enough games to earn a big contract. IMHO.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Comp picks based on the amount of the contract. The top 32 or 34 contracts. No team can get more than 4 comp picks. I also thing any contracts less than a certain amount, around $1 million per year or less do not qualify. Or that used to be the number. So even if the 33rd contract is at $3 million per year, it does not count as only 32 are given out, or what ever the limit is now.

The link in the OP has other links that explains all of it as well as the complex formula they use.

AdamJT13 used to post on here, as that article even mentions him. He was never wrong with his comp predictions when he posted here.
He did this long before the website put it on their site.

So from what your saying then is the NFL awards 32 comp picks per season. Period . And if the guys you lose contracts don’t fall in the top 32 signed that offseason then tough luck . With that in mind if a guy you lose has the top of season FA contract what’s that worth at the most ? Surely not a number one . The Cowboys stuck with Connor Williams all the way through his rookie deal and a 6th in return better turn out to be a Donovan Wilson Anthony Brown type of 6th .

CCBoy

Reaction score
And once we trade another probowler for an additional sixth round pick, we'll own that draft!
Do you believe in capital punishment...does anyone not believe in capital punishment?

Jury selection :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
And how many dumb arse penalties did he have at crucial points? Gregory stoning Jerry was a blessing in disguise
I was really high (pardon the pun) on Randy Gregory - had been since he was drafted. I thought if he beat his "issue" he could be a great player for Dallas. But when he committed that unconscionable penalty in the playoffs (tackling a Niners offensive lineman because he was frustrated and getting abused by the Niners' line), I lost a great deal of respect for him. That penalty took a fourth down to a first down and rob the Cowboys of time to get back into the game and possibly win it.
That's just stupid play.
You can't have that from key players in critical moments.
I suspect the Broncos will see it rise up to bite them.
Maybe.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'd package some of next years plethora of picks for immediate help for this season.

1Tech, MLB and WR.

Let's be aggressive.