News: USA Today: Cowboys DB room intriguing mix of potential, upside Quinn will try to evolve

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys DB room intriguing mix of potential, upside Quinn will try to evolve

USATSI_15178511.jpg

Dan Quinn was brought in to replace the one-year fiasco of Mike Nolan in order to fix one of the worse defenses in Dallas Cowboys team history. As difficult a task as it will be for the whole group and each of the position coaches to ensure their troops improve, the onus is likely to be the defensive passing game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr. and defensive back coach Al Harris.

They might have the toughest job on the staff, getting their respective unit ready for this season as the Cowboys’ DB room is very inexperienced. The team has a lot of teaching to do to get the unit where it needs to be, but their first job is to decide which players will make the 53-man roster. Here’s a breakdown of the various candidates as OTAs roll on.

Trevon Diggs
Kelvin Joseph
Anthony Brown
Donovan Wilson
Damontae Kazee
Jourdan Lewis

Click to see the full breakdown of the various candidates

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Safety Donovan Wilson looks to be quite a find in the 6th round. Kudos to Jerry, McClay, Stephen, et al for scouting and choosing him.

Looks like a lot of competition in camp.

Quinn has tools to work with at DB, LB, and DL. No reason why this defense can’t be top 5. No excuses.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli's quick twitch fetish has been replaced by Quinn's obsession with length.

I expect similar results.

Rod's quick twitch was really just a nervous tick. Dan's length will not come up short. :D

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Marinelli's quick twitch fetish has been replaced by Quinn's obsession with length.

I expect similar results.
It seems Quinn has become the defensive 12th man needed. We have just been so devoid of leadership at DC that Quinn should make a huge difference.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Joe Whitt Jr.... remember that name if this DB room is worth a damn this coming season. He is the coach that will deserve the credit, not Quinn. I love what Quinn is doing as the DC but he's not spent so much time with the DBs. Whitt has the DBs. Quinn's hands-on coaching has been more with the D-line.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Joe Whitt Jr. will be key for the Cowboys secondary. I expect them to play better on the back end.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's also noteworthy that our front office philosophy on building a defense is completely reliant on what their current coordinator believes it should be.

This. I've been noting it for years.

Our front office has no football philosophy, even McClay, and we've had an offensive minded HC since Garrett took over. Our defensive philosophy has flopped in the wind during this period as they've relied on rotating DCs to supply it. At least in this case, we had so little left over on defense that we were remaking the defense anyway. But still, last year our highest paid defender spent a lot of downs being paid to do things he's not good at, and this year looks like a replay.

The lack of a football philosophy in the front office has been a big problem for a long time. It would have been interesting to see if McCarthy would have made changes as well, but we were largely contractually set on offensive personnel when he came in, and last year Lamb just fell in our laps. Have to wait a while to see if he has a real effect.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
This. I've been noting it for years.

Our front office has no football philosophy, even McClay, and we've had an offensive minded HC since Garrett took over. Our defensive philosophy has flopped in the wind during this period as they've relied on rotating DCs to supply it. At least in this case, we had so little left over on defense that we were remaking the defense anyway. But still, last year our highest paid defender spent a lot of downs being paid to do things he's not good at, and this year looks like a replay.

The lack of a football philosophy in the front office has been a big problem for a long time. It would have been interesting to see if McCarthy would have made changes as well, but we were largely contractually set on offensive personnel when he came in, and last year Lamb just fell in our laps. Have to wait a while to see if he has a real effect.

If Quinn's scheme ends up working for the Cowboys, I would hope that the F.O. would have the foresight to start implementing a system (almost like a mentorship) that could elevate a position coach to DC should Quinn leave.

Although, looking down the road and having a set plan isn't exactly a Cowboys staple.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The secondary play will continue to be contingent on the play of the DL. If we continue to fail to get push in the middle and inconsistent off the edge, even an upgraded secondary will not be able to compensate.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Joe Whitt Jr.... remember that name if this DB room is worth a damn this coming season. He is the coach that will deserve the credit, not Quinn. I love what Quinn is doing as the DC but he's not spent so much time with the DBs. Whitt has the DBs. Quinn's hands-on coaching has been more with the D-line.
Whitt will be a common name here soon, just hope he has more staying power than Richards ever had,, and I had I expectations for Richards.