News: USA Today: Cowboys DB room intriguing mix of potential, upside Quinn will try to evolve

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Whitt will be a common name here soon, just hope he has more staying power than Richards ever had,, and I had I expectations for Richards.

Joe Whitt Jr.... remember that name if this DB room is worth a damn this coming season. He is the coach that will deserve the credit, not Quinn. I love what Quinn is doing as the DC but he's not spent so much time with the DBs. Whitt has the DBs. Quinn's hands-on coaching has been more with the D-line.

Whitt is very well thought of in NFL circles.

Skip this video to about 2:50 to hear what Ryan Clark says about Whitt. He calls him “Superstar, young secondary coach Joe Whitt.” Ryan Clark played in the secondary his whole NFL career and is still well connected to NFL players. He hears who is hot and who is not in coaching circles.

Whitt is going to be very good for the Dallas secondary.

He is my bet to ascend to defensive coordinator in Dallas if/when Quinn leaves.

xy6ujglelzng0mhhp1ie.jpg

Defensive Passing Game Coordinator / Secondary Coach Joe Whitt.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Cowboys DB room intriguing mix of potential, upside Quinn will try to evolve

USATSI_15178511.jpg

Dan Quinn was brought in to replace the one-year fiasco of Mike Nolan in order to fix one of the worse defenses in Dallas Cowboys team history. As difficult a task as it will be for the whole group and each of the position coaches to ensure their troops improve, the onus is likely to be the defensive passing game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr. and defensive back coach Al Harris.

They might have the toughest job on the staff, getting their respective unit ready for this season as the Cowboys’ DB room is very inexperienced. The team has a lot of teaching to do to get the unit where it needs to be, but their first job is to decide which players will make the 53-man roster. Here’s a breakdown of the various candidates as OTAs roll on.

Trevon Diggs
Kelvin Joseph
Anthony Brown
Donovan Wilson
Damontae Kazee
Jourdan Lewis

Click to see the full breakdown of the various candidates

Looking at that list thats not bad compared to what we had before.

Including the coaches.

plasticman

Reaction score
1981:

That year, the Cowboys starting secondary included two undrafted free agents and a 4th year 11th round draft choice which would translate today as another undrafted free agent. The 4th guy was 12 year veteran Charlie Waters playing his final season.

They set the Cowboy record for INT's in a season and are still listed 3rd all time in the NFL. They played in the NFC Championship gamed that season.

They were young, inexperienced. However, you have to believe these guys were coached up. They were coached by Tom Landry, Gene Stallings, and Ernie Stautner, all legends. Therefore, we know it can be done.

Absolutely, we will learn about the Cowboy defensive coaches in 2021 through this present group of young DB's.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Whitt is very well thought of in NFL circles.

Skip this video to about 2:50 to hear what Ryan Clark says about Whitt. He calls him “Superstar, young secondary coach Joe Whitt.” Ryan Clark played in the secondary his whole NFL career and is still well connected to NFL players. He hears who is hot and who is not in coaching circles.

Whitt is going to be very good for the Dallas secondary.

He is my bet to ascend to defensive coordinator in Dallas if/when Quinn leaves.

xy6ujglelzng0mhhp1ie.jpg

Defensive Passing Game Coordinator / Secondary Coach Joe Whitt.

Good stuff as always and the priors with the Packers, Falcons and Browns is a definite association to what Quinn is wanting.
Whitt has some nice pieces to the puzzle, this DB group if anything its pieces to a puzzle at this point, but its also a very young athletic group that we really dont have a clue how they end up coming together.
Give this man some pieces like Kazee, Robinson, Wilson, etc,,,,,,, dont want to waste my time,, everyone paying attention already knows the depth chart and its better now than it has been in a long time.
Lots of pieces for Whitt to sort out,, this is going to be a very entertaining camp.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This. I've been noting it for years.

Our front office has no football philosophy, even McClay, and we've had an offensive minded HC since Garrett took over. Our defensive philosophy has flopped in the wind during this period as they've relied on rotating DCs to supply it. At least in this case, we had so little left over on defense that we were remaking the defense anyway. But still, last year our highest paid defender spent a lot of downs being paid to do things he's not good at, and this year looks like a replay.

The lack of a football philosophy in the front office has been a big problem for a long time. It would have been interesting to see if McCarthy would have made changes as well, but we were largely contractually set on offensive personnel when he came in, and last year Lamb just fell in our laps. Have to wait a while to see if he has a real effect.
The jones boys dont value or understand defense,they have until this year thought all you need is the good offense to win SB's.
they have valued the DE spot, aka war daddy, due to charles haley, but they thought that was all that was needed.

And about Lamb, it is funny no one questions why other teams passed on lamb ! I dont think many teams saw him as first round talent.
If Dallas doesnt draft him we will never know how far he would have fell. Some say phil would have grabbed him, but does that really mean anything?
Time will tell, but for a 1st rounder I think he should have done better last year than he did.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The jones boys dont value or understand defense,they have until this year thought all you need is the good offense to win SB's.
they have valued the DE spot, aka war daddy, due to charles haley, but they thought that was all that was needed.

And about Lamb, it is funny no one questions why other teams passed on lamb ! I dont think many teams saw him as first round talent.
If Dallas doesnt draft him we will never know how far he would have fell. Some say phil would have grabbed him, but does that really mean anything?
Time will tell, but for a 1st rounder I think he should have done better last year than he did.
Who do you think you are fooling? Lamb had an amazing rookie season. If he had Dak throwing him the ball all season he would have been even better.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Thats a perception perhaps more than reality, if you follow how this team has been drafting, your devaluation of Lamb has no bearing on talent evaluation and where and when to select excellent values like Lamb.
Parsons this year was a flat out steal even better yet a 3rd to boot.

plasticman

Reaction score

If Dallas doesn't draft him we will never know how far he would have fell. Some say phil would have grabbed him, but does that really mean anything?
He actually did pretty good if you compare him, historically, to all Cowboy receivers in their rookie season. And remember, we are talking about a group that includes three Hall of Famers. He reset the Cowboy rookie record....by 28 receptions. His yardage was second to only Bob Hayes.

Also, let's remember, Lamb's receptions came from 4 different QB's, including two that had never started a game before. Besides, I don't remember any other rookie having to share receptions with two other highly productive WR's. Then there is the fact that this rookie never had the benefit of minicamps, training camp and preseason games.

I think that if he'd had Dak all season long, didn't have to share with two other good receivers, honed his abilities during preseason games......Lamb's numbers would have been Moss/Beckham-like. Of course, we will find out soon enough.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

Haha, what???

He was universally viewed as a top 20 pick in last years draft, and pretty widely viewed as a top 10 pick.

I’m sorry, but that is absurd. You don’t really even follow the draft process very closely, or at least you haven’t posted a lot in the draft zone leading up to the draft.

Where did you get such a notion? There has to be some reason that you would think something that is that far off base.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tyler Coyle deserves a mention, no?

You just did . . . of course, it may or may not get any further than that -- we'll see. I like that he's fast but is that enough?! :huh:

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You just did . . . of course, it may or may not get any further than that -- we'll see. I like that he's fast but is that enough?! :huh:
If he just makes the PS or STs then its enough.
He is green but has some serious upside and worth a long look.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If he just makes the PS or STs then its enough.
He is green but has some serious upside and worth a long look.

That pretty much coincides with my thinking, at this juncture. He has much to prove.

His aggressiveness will be dutifully tested. His profile questions that requirement. ;)

mperfection

Reaction score
1981:

That year, the Cowboys starting secondary included two undrafted free agents and a 4th year 11th round draft choice which would translate today as another undrafted free agent. The 4th guy was 12 year veteran Charlie Waters playing his final season. They set the Cowboy record for INT's in a season and are still listed 3rd all time in the NFL. They played in the NFC Championship gamed that season.

They were young, inexperienced. However, you have to believe these guys were coached up. They were coached by Tom Landry, Gene Stallings, and Ernie Stautner, all legends. Therefore, we know it can be done.

Absolutely, we will learn about the Cowboy defensive coaches in 2021 through this present group of young DB's.
Let me add, much to my chagrin, that the team our beloved Cowboys lost to in the ‘81 NFC Championship sported 3 rookies in its secondary who were also coached up. One of them (DB Eric Wright) snagged a runaway Drew Pearson by the collar at the last second, thus preventing what could have been a game-winning TD and a trip to the team’s 6th SB. But, alas, what could have been...

IF this year’s secondary can be “coached up”, and IF it can get good-to-great play from its two veteran FA’s (Kazee and Neal), then it has the talent to be special. Mark this post!

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
Let me add, much to my chagrin, that the team our beloved Cowboys lost to in the ‘81 NFC Championship sported 3 rookies in its secondary who were also coached up. One of them (DB Eric Wright) snagged a runaway Drew Pearson by the collar at the last second, thus preventing what could have been a game-winning TD and a trip to the team’s 6th SB. But, alas, what could have been...

IF this year’s secondary can be “coached up”, and IF it can get good-to-great play from its two veteran FA’s (Kazee and Neal), then it has the talent to be special. Mark thus post!
What many forget about that game is that the Cowboys had intercepted Joe Montana three times, twice by rookie Everson Walls, who also recovered a fumble. The other INT was DT Randy White.

In fact, the week prior, the Cowboys had 4 INT's, twice by Dennis Thurman, once by Michael Downs, once by DE Too Tall Jones. That was 7 additional INT's that postseason.

That loss was the 2nd most devastating in my years as a Cowboys fan. The first was the Super Bowl 5 loss to the Colts.

Anyway, it's a lot about squad chemistry. One guy makes a great play and the squad is so competitive that the other players want to make a play, they want to show their fellow members on the squad that they are contributing as well. They don't want to let their teammates down. When you have multiple squads with this mentality then you truly have a championship level team. Again, competition that earns mutual respect is key.

That's what was missing for so many years. It used to be that, under Jones, the size of a player's contract determined position on the depth chart. Not only that, they couldn't pay his backup anything more than chicken feed. Often this meant that there was no serious competition. The veteran free agent was signed and given the starting position. Why did he have to work his hardest, he already had everything he wanted.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He actually did pretty good if you compare him, historically, to all Cowboy receivers in their rookie season. And remember, we are talking about a group that includes three Hall of Famers. He reset the Cowboy rookie record....by 28 receptions. His yardage was second to only Bob Hayes.

Also, let's remember, Lamb's receptions came from 4 different QB's, including two that had never started a game before. Besides, I don't remember any other rookie having to share receptions with two other highly productive WR's. Then there is the fact that this rookie never had the benefit of minicamps, training camp and preseason games.

I think that if he'd had Dak all season long, didn't have to share with two other good receivers, honed his abilities during preseason games......Lamb's numbers would have been Moss/Beckham-like. Of course, we will find out soon enough.
That is all a good argument.
WR today tend to get more passes and more yds though than back in hayes time, and also back then they just didnt play rookies as much as they do today.
But your other facts I cant refute.
I guess this will be a show and tell year for him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1981:

That year, the Cowboys starting secondary included two undrafted free agents and a 4th year 11th round draft choice which would translate today as another undrafted free agent. The 4th guy was 12 year veteran Charlie Waters playing his final season.

They set the Cowboy record for INT's in a season and are still listed 3rd all time in the NFL. They played in the NFC Championship gamed that season.

Which is really where you want to begin the rebuild. When you have an all time atrocious defense, begin repairing it in the secondary. Everybody knows that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Haha, what???

He was universally viewed as a top 20 pick in last years draft, and pretty widely viewed as a top 10 pick.

I’m sorry, but that is absurd. You don’t really even follow the draft process very closely, or at least you haven’t posted a lot in the draft zone leading up to the draft.

Where did you get such a notion? There has to be some reason that you would think something that is that far off base.
Where did you get such a notion?......just from watching him play. I think the main thing I remember is the drop in the last giants game.
A lot of players are universally viewed as a top 20 pick , and turn out to be avg or less in NFL.
He had a great college career, but that might not carry to the NFL.
It is early, and last year was a messed up year, but I need to see him be more of a impact player, which is what a # 1 pick should be.

He was anointed by jerry and many fans and Zoners, before he ever played a down in NFL, I am not going to do that till he shows more than
he has.