News: USA Today: For Diverse Cowboys, Dak Prescott Is The Ultimate Unifier

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I went to a Houston Rockets basketball game years ago, sat a a few rows behind the team. I was awed by the usher, although you could tell he was messing around, he made everyone laugh and feel welcome. He was Mexican American and when he spoke to Hispanics I heard him say "Que paso Vato?", he then spoke to an African American and said something like, "What's up bro" to a white couple he would say, " good evening Mr.and Mrs. So and So". Those are just examples but it was funny, they were all season ticket holders and and had an obvious relationship with him, so they played along and didn't seem to take offense. I got to talking to him during the game, he had a great rapport with everybody. I went back a few weeks later and he got me floor passes at Kareem's last game in Houston.
I know, so what? This story on Dak just reminded me of this. Sorry, carry on.

erod

Reaction score
Actually, all journalists approach a subject with an angle. The angle may change after the interview, but it's an unprepared journalist who doesn't have an idea of what he's going to write about before approaching a subject.

Sure, you have an idea what you want to focus the story on, but these days, the narrative is established before they ever leave the house. It's blatant. Reporters these days are more about self-promotion and clicks than purveyors of facts and news.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was in college, a psychology degree meant the other schools in the university wouldn't take you, or you were there for your Mrs.
That was the Home Ec department in my school. Mrs. Degree, lol, hadn't heard that for a while.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
This "journalist" went to the practice facility with his story 90 percent written already. He just needed quotes to back his biased assertions. He couldn't get one, so he made one up and attributed it to an unnamed source.

Real journalists go to the practice facility with little idea what they're going to write about Dak Prescott. They let the story unveil itself to them when they get there.

Dak is a person, not a bumper sticker. Same for everybody out there. And the media wonders why they rate lower than Hitler these days.
I'm just saying it's an interesting read. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I might note that the author, Lorenzo Reyes, appears to hail from a Hispanic background just based on his name, which is Spanish in origin. So he doesn't appear to be one taking a poke at Romo, another man who is of Hispanic descent.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the author tried to "spice" up the article. I'm also not surprised that a player asked to remain anonymous when discussing Dak and Romo and race relations.

Good read.
"...remain anonymous...". Excellent point. Obvious point. All you have to do is scroll up. Work ain't hard but the boss is mean:D

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the author tried to "spice" up the article. I'm also not surprised that a player asked to remain anonymous when discussing Dak and Romo and race relations.

Good read.
The "spice" was the author made up the anonymous quote to drive the article home

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't buy it. Dez loves Romo like a big brother or even a father figure, T Will has always had great chemistry with Romo, Owens cried in his PC for Romo (same guy who threw Garcia and McNabb under the bus), DeMarco Murray has pictures with Romo in his home today, Miles Austin always had a great bond with Romo.

Nah this is flat wrong. Dak being young along with Dez and Zeke helps though as they go out together and bang a bunch of Texas girls

I don't know if you recall this because many posters thought these were fabrications but ...
- The black-white dynamic was evident in the Cowboys locker room even with Troy Aikman as some players thought he was racist for some reason and Michael Irvin had to come to his defense.
- You remember when Irvin got in trouble because he referred to Romo as one who played like a brother.
- Terrell Owens - he of the "That's my quarterback; that's my teammate" - felt betrayed by Romo and Witten and some - including T.O. from what I hear - felt there was a tinge of racism involved. I'm not saying there was. But in the experience of blacks, we have a tendency to interpret perceived difference we find unjust as racist.
So I can understand if this dynamic is present even today although it may not be discussed.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Sure, you have an idea what you want to focus the story on, but these days, the narrative is established before they ever leave the house. It's blatant. Reporters these days are more about self-promotion and clicks than purveyors of facts and news.

Why are you so upset with this reporter's approach to this story, especially since it provides a fresh angle and insight into Dak?

I'm not saying this is you, but it seems the moment a story explores race, some people tend to flip out. But race is a real dynamic in life and in social relationships, especially in this country.

erod

Reaction score
I might note that the author, Lorenzo Reyes, appears to hail from a Hispanic background just based on his name, which is Spanish in origin. So he doesn't appear to be one taking a poke at Romo, another man who is of Hispanic descent.

Wouldn't matter if his name was Bob Magilicutty and looked like the Michelin Man.

The story was a preconceived narrative to create a made-up underlying rift that doesn't actually exist in the Cowboys locker room.

erod

Reaction score
Why are you so upset with this reporter's approach to this story, especially since it provides a fresh angle and insight into Dak?

I'm not saying this is you, but it seems the moment a story explores race, some people tend to flip out. But race is a real dynamic in life and in social relationships, especially in this country.

So says an unnamed source in a locker room. Never believe an unnamed source, especially in matters so trivial as this.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Wouldn't matter if his name was Bob Magilicutty and looked like the Michelin Man.

The story was a preconceived narrative to create a made-up underlying rift that doesn't actually exist in the Cowboys locker room.

Yes, it DOES make a difference. It's another clue into the person who wrote the story.

Second, what evidence do you provide that the story is made up?
I remember many in this forum castigated Ed Werder for fabricating the leaks in the locker room about the rift between Romo, T.O. and Witten.

Guess what? Werder was right. There was a strained relationship and for the good of the Cowboys, Jerry Jones released T.O.

The problem is that many fans don't want to hear about such stories because they shatter their preconceived notions of unity. But I'll remind you that the 85 Bears were a dysfunctional group from coaches to players and STILL won a championship.

The Cowboys will survive this story. Relax.