News: USA Today: For Diverse Cowboys, Dak Prescott Is The Ultimate Unifier

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I have black friends, white friends, latino friends. We are different because of our culture and our upbringing: not our skin color.

Isn't that the basis of this article, though? That because of his background, Dak grew up balancing between two vastly different cultures? And as a result, he has grown able to fit in just about anywhere and with anyone?

Rockdoc

Reaction score
i do the same thing but not because i am biracial but because i am black and grew up in middle class white America
maybe there is some credit to a writer coming up with new angle but big picture, no one on that team nor Dak is thinking about this as the reason for the teams success.
i also understand the opportunity to try and bring races together, but its football. those players have spent years with so many different types of people they arent thinking like writers and others.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
i do the same thing but not because i am biracial but because i am black and grew up in middle class white America
maybe there is some credit to a writer coming up with new angle but big picture, no one on that team nor Dak is thinking about this as the reason for the teams success.
i also understand the opportunity to try and bring races together, but its football. those players have spent years with so many different types of people they arent thinking like writers and others.
And you know this how? There have been incidents in locker rooms where players have felt that they weren't getting fair treatment because of their race. Do I need to remind anyone of the Eagles situation involving Riley Cooper or Shady McCoy's comments? And I mentioned earlier how players perceived Aikman and T.O.'s feelings about Witten's and Romo's relationship.
Athletes aren't unlike regular people. They battle the same issues. We just don't hear about these issues because we don't want to or because a team is winning, and you know what they say about winning and deodorant.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
This article stupid as ever. If you have common likes that sometimes are racially different (stereotyping of course) you can get along not because you're a different race just by itself. That's why I think the story is stupid. Before this crud came out raise your hand if you were like Dak beign biracial was the secret sauce to unifying the team?

You don't think him being biracial and experiencing both cultures helps him relate and feel comfortable with a more diverse group?

I do and I feel that not being able to relate is one of the top factors in racial bias.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
i'll go to my grave bewildered by the weight given to skin pigment, its got to be one of the most ignorant positions ever taken by mankind
I think you're misunderstanding what people are saying, and I think many are misunderstanding the story.
Every person is a product of his/her race, culture, background, experiences, etc. Those things define who we are. They give us our identity. It gives me my identity. It gives you your identity. It gives Dak his identity. And from that identity, you relate to people and people relate to you.
This story is not about race but how Dak's background helps him relate to his teammates.
Yes, it's because he's likeable. Yes, it's because he's a leader. Yes, it's because he's relatable. But all of those things are
products of his background, which includes but is not limited to his race.
The stories about his leadership have been done, and I don't know any who have complained. The stories about his likeability have been done, and I don't know any who have complained.
The story about his biracial background has been done, but now some folks get all freaked out about it.
Dak, who answered the reporter's questions on the topic, wasn't freaked out about the topic and acknowledged the role his background has played in shaping who he is.
If he's not upset, I'll take my cues from him and refrain from getting all bent out of shape about the story.

landroverking

Reaction score
Part of it is also his southern upbringing

He's able to have common ground with players from the big outdoorsman states.
Hunting & fishing Etc.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Probably has some merit, but "Ultimate Unifier" is probably a bit much.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I think you're misunderstanding what people are saying, and I think many are misunderstanding the story.
Every person is a product of his/her race, culture, background, experiences, etc. Those things define who we are. They give us our identity. It gives me my identity. It gives you your identity. It gives Dak his identity. And from that identity, you relate to people and people relate to you.
This story is not about race but how Dak's background helps him relate to his teammates.
Yes, it's because he's likeable. Yes, it's because he's a leader. Yes, it's because he's relatable. But all of those things are a product of his background, which includes but is not limited to his race.
The stories about his leadership have been done, and I don't know any who have complained. The stories about his likeability have been done, and I don't know any who have complained.
The story about his biracial background has been done, but now some folks get all freaked out about it.
Dak, who answered the reporter's questions on the topic, wasn't freaked about and acknowledged the role is background has played shaping who he is.
If he's not upset, I'll take my cues from him and refrain from getting all bent out of shape about the story.

You completely misunderstood the intent of my comment and I believe I already said something in this thread akin to what you posted above

cowboys2233

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rescott-dallas-tony-romo-dez-bryant/96368408/

Most of y'all won't be able to handle this because his biracial identity is addressed which I find a curious non topic thus far.

Here we go.

Eh, I think Romo's inability to relate to some players is more of an age thing than a race thing. For instance, I've heard millennials walking around saying things like "butthurt" and other stupid ****. To me, that's some alien gibberish that I can't relate to, don't want to relate to, and don't anticipate that I will ever find it remotely acceptable. LOL.

dogberry

Reaction score
1. Per the internet, Mr. Prescott is also of Choctaw and Apache descent.

2. If Mr. Romo is of Mexican Indian and European stock on his father's side and Irish and Polish ancestry on his mother's side, his diversity is apparently insufficient to match Mr. Prescott's racial background in unifying the team.

3. A poster used the word "redneck". A term used by rich goodwhites to describe poor badwhites in the search for social status. Or hate speech against whites. (your choice)

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Isn't that the basis of this article, though? That because of his background, Dak grew up balancing between two vastly different cultures? And as a result, he has grown able to fit in just about anywhere and with anyone?

The article is more about his race than his culture. The man's skin color shouldn't enter the equation at any point to prove what kind of a leader or unifier he is or is not.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was in college, a psychology degree meant the other schools in the university wouldn't take you, or you were there for your Mrs.
When I was in college my Engineering Professors often berated all other majors and we laughed.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The relationship between blacks and whites in America is historically different than the relationship between whites and Hispanics or blacks and Hispanics.

The racial dynamics aren't the same.

Blimey! Are you like a sociologist, geneticist, historian or demographer?
Just curious as to the sweeping comment, bloke.
But on the other hand, I as a fish-and-chips pedestrian Joe, tend to agree, though not from impirical evidence.
I do see an easier camaraderie among American whites, Hispanics and asians, and for complex reasons, less of an easy relationship between any group and African-americans.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You don't think him being biracial and experiencing both cultures helps him relate and feel comfortable with a more diverse group?

I do and I feel that not being able to relate is one of the top factors in racial bias.
No not at all. People acting like different races are some type of strange situation you've never dealt with. Like I said of you do similar things you will have things to talk about. Sometimes those things are different stereotypically by race like certain music, activities, etc but I don't think race is the biggest factor at all.

Not being able to relate is a copout people going to be racially bias because they want to not because of anything else. To be honest all you have to do is treat people how you'd want to be treated and racial bias wouldn't be that much of a problem in the first place. You don't have to be biracial for that lol.