USAToday: How Dak Prescott's limitations hindered Moore's play-calling

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I wonder if this is true? if yes, then that makes the offense predictable and limits what you can do.

no, this is not a Dak bash thread, but I am sure DakLovers will take it that way...but it may explain some of the predictability of our offense....

"....
allas quarterback Dak Prescott took 18 snaps from under center and 39 in the shotgun. Prescott has been in the shotgun more snaps than under center in every game so far this season, but there has been much more balance in previous games (32-34 against the Giants, 32-36 in Washington, and 32-39 versus the Dolphins.)

The real issue with how the formations are utilized is not so much whether they are in the shotgun more than under center, or vice-versa, but whether it becomes obvious that the offense is going to run from under center and pass from the shotgun.

Former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was justly criticized for being too predictable. He almost always called passing plays from the shotgun and called mostly running plays when the quarterback was under center...…

The most glaring trend detected is that Prescott is rarely asked to drop back and pass after taking the snap from under center.

In 44 games, he has never dropped back and passed after taking the snap from under center more than three or four times in game. When he was a rookie, it was sometimes never and often only once a game...…"

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...zjKCFzoy4CYONCLRjCBjpkBp_lLNxT_Qb4iBnOudx_Lpk

blueblood70

Reaction score
you wanted NEW and the first 3 games was Moores view of the offense disguising runs and certain pass plays coming out of the shotgun.. its the new way of the NFL..they are not just passing on shotgun snaps and are not running the same plays each time from the same look..

Id say NO not he issue, predictability comes from when you run plays out of what formations against what defense alignments..

we lost last week because the players didnt execute well.. made many mistakes… thats it..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Read it already.

So we are to believe that Garrett, Moore and Kitna worked all offseason and summer on Dak's mechanics, footing & throwing motion, but they never worked on Dak taking 5 - 7 standard dropbacks and throwing from under Center?

What a bunch of baloney with the red string still wrapped around it. :facepalm:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I wonder if this is true? if yes, then that makes the offense predictable and limits what you can do.

no, this is not a Dak bash thread, but I am sure DakLovers will take it that way...but it may explain some of the predictability of our offense....

"....
allas quarterback Dak Prescott took 18 snaps from under center and 39 in the shotgun. Prescott has been in the shotgun more snaps than under center in every game so far this season, but there has been much more balance in previous games (32-34 against the Giants, 32-36 in Washington, and 32-39 versus the Dolphins.)

The real issue with how the formations are utilized is not so much whether they are in the shotgun more than under center, or vice-versa, but whether it becomes obvious that the offense is going to run from under center and pass from the shotgun.

Former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was justly criticized for being too predictable. He almost always called passing plays from the shotgun and called mostly running plays when the quarterback was under center...…

The most glaring trend detected is that Prescott is rarely asked to drop back and pass after taking the snap from under center.

In 44 games, he has never dropped back and passed after taking the snap from under center more than three or four times in game. When he was a rookie, it was sometimes never and often only once a game...…"

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...zjKCFzoy4CYONCLRjCBjpkBp_lLNxT_Qb4iBnOudx_Lpk

RPO is the norm in college. Working under center is going to be hard for any RPO QB.

Dunks3001

Reaction score
Yea I've noticed that since he's rookie season. Doesn't do much throwing from under center unless it's PA. I don't really know what to make of it. I mean what do the numbers look like for other teams in the league? I imagine a lot of teams operate out of shotgun more than they do under center.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is the fault of the coaches if you ask me.

Unless I can see numbers that show Dak is less effective under center when he does pass.

To me this screams that the offense could use play action with him under center and really have some success if the coaches would make it happen.

I also think that’s being under center is a bit of a dying art. More and more offenses are operating almost strictly out of the shotgun. For better or worse....

Diehardblues

Reaction score

"....

It makes sense since it wouldn’t allow Dak as much time to read and react to defenses. But otherwise it’s been well presented and discussed that Daks skill sets limited the play calling like last year in Redzone and passing situations. Nothing new.

When Dak is surrounded by more talent up against lesser teams we have more success.

I was very supportive of him his Rookie season and early this season. Kid has some awesome intangible factors. If those first 2 games are an indication of his capabilities not just lack of opponents strength then he might be all we need.

But if we fall back into this mode from last Sunday when defenses shut down Elliott forcing Dak to beat them over the top it definitely limits the play-calling while lessening the effectiveness in Play Action.

And now with Gallup out teams can focus on shutting down Cooper without as big a threat on other side along with Smith out leaving Daks blind side vulnerable. This lessens the supporting cast which could impose some greater concerns.

It will be interesting to see how our offense bounces back this week. Hopefully it will resemble more of our first few games not the last one so we can begin to put to rest some of these concerns which has plagued Dak.

Last edited:

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The issues was the Saints defense out performed the offense on ALL 3 LEVELS. The OL got their butt handed to them. Zeke could not run through clog lanes. The WRs and TEs struggled all night to get separation. The Saints did a great job disguising the coverage schemes and constantly bailed out to Cover 2 specifically designed to take away the deep ball. Dak did not have anywhere to throw. Add in Zeke not having holes or unable to produce much makes for a low scoring game.

Brax

Reaction score

"....

you hater how dare you....... (I jest only (added))

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea I've noticed that since he's rookie season. Doesn't do much throwing from under center unless it's PA. I don't really know what to make of it. I mean what do the numbers look like for other teams in the league? I imagine a lot of teams operate out of shotgun more than they do under center.
One of the major adjustments for QB's to the NFL is taking snaps under center, dropping back in a 5 or 7 step drop and seeing all of the field in time because the NFL game is faster. The shotgun gives them that extra time for their read and gives them what they're used to doing. That's why some teams are adopting the college formations to accommodate their QB and accelerate his progress.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I felt like i mentioned this one too many times under Linehan, he was pushed out. And I also asked how soon before Moore gets the blame.

superonyx

Reaction score
I may not be understanding this article.
So we are to think that Dak can take the snap from center, fake the handoff, and then throw the ball but if you take the faking of the handoff away suddenly he can’t throw the ball?

this is beyond dumb. Unless I am missing it.

and why would a QB take the snap and not go play action when your RB will almost always freeze the defenders?