USAToday: How Dak Prescott's limitations hindered Moore's play-calling

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
All these articles put the majority of the blame on Dak and or Moore and or Garrett. Very few if any give full credit to the Saints for just whooping Dallas, which IMO is what happened. Having said that the Cowboys could have won this game if a just a couple of situations or calls went their way but it did not happen. Oh well it happens.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I wonder if this is true? if yes, then that makes the offense predictable and limits what you can do.

no, this is not a Dak bash thread, but I am sure DakLovers will take it that way

Not a Dak bashing thread but you labeled anyone who supports Dak a 'DakLover'. Pathetic.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
There might be a small bit to be learned from this, but mostly it seems to be overa. First, much of the time they run a play with Dak under center it is a short yardage situation anyway, so of course they will run or throw a quick short yardage pass most of the time. Second, it's illogical to take it as certainty that because the team chooses to use the shotgun as its primary passing formation it means Dak cannot execute a 5 or 7 step drop.
But we already know Dak can’t really do that, he never did it in college and probably just isn’t comfortable with it. I remember Wade saying that Dak worked really hard to be able to be functional at it in his first training camp. Not exactly a big secret.
The bigger question is, does it matter? Outside of variety for variety’s sake is there any downside to not having the straight dropback in the game plan? I can’t really think of one that affects the defense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The issues was the Saints defense out performed the offense on ALL 3 LEVELS. The OL got their butt handed to them. Zeke could not run through clog lanes. The WRs and TEs struggled all night to get separation. The Saints did a great job disguising the coverage schemes and constantly bailed out to Cover 2 specifically designed to take away the deep ball. Dak did not have anywhere to throw. Add in Zeke not having holes or unable to produce much makes for a low scoring game.

Saints loss in a nutshell.......take a bow

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we already know Dak can’t really do that, he never did it in college and probably just isn’t comfortable with it. I remember Wade saying that Dak worked really hard to be able to be functional at it in his first training camp. Not exactly a big secret.
The bigger question is, does it matter? Outside of variety for variety’s sake is there any downside to not having the straight dropback in the game plan? I can’t really think of one that affects the defense.
Lots of QBs didn't do it in college - it's very common al over NCAA football to use something other than a pro style system. Plus, again, because a team chooses to run a particular style of offense, or because a team maximizes the talents of a particular player doesn't automatically mean he can't do anything else.

That said, it is probably true that Dak is less comfortable with it, but that's not the same as saying he can't do it. Hell, the article says he sometimes does it 3-4 times a game - how does it follow they would do it even that much if he wasn't capable of it?

pansophy

Reaction score
I wonder if this is true? if yes, then that makes the offense predictable and limits what you can do.

no, this is not a Dak bash thread, but I am sure DakLovers will take it that way...but it may explain some of the predictability of our offense....

"....
allas quarterback Dak Prescott took 18 snaps from under center and 39 in the shotgun. Prescott has been in the shotgun more snaps than under center in every game so far this season, but there has been much more balance in previous games (32-34 against the Giants, 32-36 in Washington, and 32-39 versus the Dolphins.)

The real issue with how the formations are utilized is not so much whether they are in the shotgun more than under center, or vice-versa, but whether it becomes obvious that the offense is going to run from under center and pass from the shotgun.

Former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was justly criticized for being too predictable. He almost always called passing plays from the shotgun and called mostly running plays when the quarterback was under center...…

The most glaring trend detected is that Prescott is rarely asked to drop back and pass after taking the snap from under center.

In 44 games, he has never dropped back and passed after taking the snap from under center more than three or four times in game. When he was a rookie, it was sometimes never and often only once a game...…"

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...zjKCFzoy4CYONCLRjCBjpkBp_lLNxT_Qb4iBnOudx_Lpk
This is called an adjustment. OL wasn't giving Prescott time to throw so you put him in the shotgun so that he can throw more easily.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When Linehan,Moore, Garrett do not include str8 drop pass plays for Dak simply confirms how little confidence they have in his passing abilities.
Might have worked in College but this is the NFL and from what I've heard its a passing league.....:omg:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, seeing that all teams measure statistical trends of their opponents, we know that every team is already aware of this.

Btw, just because Dak doesn't do 3-5 steps drops from center does not mean he can't do it. That's an unfair assumption by the author.
He could be right, but he has not proof.
Nevertheless, on the road in a loud building, it does help to be able to play under center more.

I'd be curious to see Mahomes' stats on this.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
see, I knew a dak supporter would be offended. no where in the article does it say Dak can't do anything or he is not good...but hey...:facepalm:

it just presented the cowboys offensive tendencies....
Dak Supporter is a forum created word that only means something on this site. My statement was based on common sense.
tenor.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Both Linehan and Moore have been forced to devise game plans that only call for pass attempts off play-action or from the shotgun.

This obvious limitation (not being able to execute a traditional three or five-step drop from under center) in Prescott’s arsenal is a significant impediment to any coordinator’s quest for unpredictability."

Thats interesting..... and not super encouraging

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All these articles put the majority of the blame on Dak and or Moore and or Garrett. Very few if any give full credit to the Saints for just whooping Dallas, which IMO is what happened. Having said that the Cowboys could have won this game if a just a couple of situations or calls went their way but it did not happen. Oh well it happens.
when you lose, people search for answers...the why's, when you win no body cares...

but the article did look over a 3 year span.....I think it just begs more breakdown including down and distance situations when these plays were called. as one poster said, did we call most under the center plays with 3,4 yards or less?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lots of QBs didn't do it in college - it's very common al over NCAA football to use something other than a pro style system. Plus, again, because a team chooses to run a particular style of offense, or because a team maximizes the talents of a particular player doesn't automatically mean he can't do anything else.

That said, it is probably true that Dak is less comfortable with it, but that's not the same as saying he can't do it. Hell, the article says he sometimes does it 3-4 times a game - how does it follow they would do it even that much if he wasn't capable of it?
I am not sure if Dak is uncomfortable with it...of the plays under center, most were runs...those are plays that get called from the sideline, unless Dak audibled..... to me it just referenced the predictably of offense....under center, then you are going to run 90% of the time...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no, I didn't...I said DakLovers, not all who support Dak...and I just had to get a dig in, knowing I was going to get blasted as a Dak Hater one way or other.
But why do so many posts have to be addressed to "Dak Lover's" or "Dak Haters", as if the extremists represent the bulk of the fan base?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, seeing that all teams measure statistical trends of their opponents, we know that every team is already aware of this.

Btw, just because Dak doesn't do 3-5 steps drops from center does not mean he can't do it. That's an unfair assumption by the author.
He could be right, but he has not proof.
Nevertheless, on the road in a loud building, it does help to be able to play under center more.

I'd be curious to see Mahomes' stats on this.
I didn't necessarily read it that way...it just provided the stats and tendencies, that most often we run from under center. I think people just deduce from that, Dak can't do it...which is a false deduction....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak Supporter is a forum created word that only means something on this site. My statement was based on common sense.
tenor.gif
so is DakLover, created on this forum.... and I am posting on this forum.....and I have been called a Dak hater...on this forum....:huh:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But why do so many posts have to be addressed to "Dak Lover's" or "Dak Haters", as if the extremists represent the bulk of the fan base?
OMG, the sensitivity...I was being sarcastic....and now its turning into a political Dak debate of lovers vs. haters.... relax....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't necessarily read it that way...it just provided the stats and tendencies, that most often we run from under center. I think people just deduce from that, Dak can't do it...which is a false deduction....
The title of the article was How Dak Prescott's limitations hindered Moore's play-calling. And the following was included in the article …

This obvious limitation (not being able to execute a traditional three or five-step drop from under center) in Prescott’s arsenal is a significant impediment to any coordinator’s quest for unpredictability.