USAToday: How Dak Prescott's limitations hindered Moore's play-calling

superonyx

Reaction score
maybe you should have read the article better, because it clearly stated:

Thus, the writers contention is that even when Dak drops back, they aren’t traditional five step drops, they are quick screens, or like I said five yard slants.

Dak is not a progression QB, irrespective of shot-gun or traditional drop backs.

Further, percentage is ultimately limited when talking about Dak, as far as the whole body of work, because his volume was traditionally less than everybody else, meaning Dallas was run-heavy.
I get what you are saying. The problem is that every team now runs shot gun the majority of pass plays. We are no different. Dak has little control over the offense play and formation calls. What isn’t being talked about is how often other QBs are doing what you are using to make the claim that Dak isn’t a progression QB. The trend of the league has changed. The entire point of this article is to claim that Dak can’t do things so that limits the offensive play calling. This was the and Lie the media used to smear Dez.

This reporter, you or I can’t possibly know these things. Unless Moore or JG come out and say it then it’s just speculation without meaningful context.

khiladi

Reaction score
I get what you are saying. The problem is that every team now runs shot gun the majority of pass plays. We are no different. Dak has little control over the offense play and formation calls. What isn’t being talked about is how often other QBs are doing what you are using to make the claim that Dak isn’t a progression QB. The trend of the league has changed. The entire point of this article is to claim that Dak can’t do things so that limits the offensive play calling. This was the and Lie the media used to smear Dez.

This reporter, you or I can’t possibly know these things. Unless Moore or JG come out and say it then it’s just speculation without meaningful context.

It’s his analysis and it’s a good one. It’s not idiocy like people who love Dak are trying to portray.

The reality is we run a Coryell, traditional drop back system. We adjusted it for Dak, not the other way around. Like I said, Linehan had this team at third in play action usage in Dak’s first year and we used it often with Linehan and do it with Moore, when with Romo we didn’t. We go more spread and so on.

This offense has constantly been adjusting for Dak.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s his analysis and it’s a good one. It’s not idiocy like people who love Dak are trying to portray.

The reality is we run a Coryell, traditional drop back system. We adjusted it for Dak, not the other way around.

It’s also a league trend though. It’s hardly something that just the Cowboys are doing for Dak alone.

khiladi

Reaction score
It’s also a league trend though. It’s hardly something that just the Cowboys are doing for Dak alone.

I agree. the ultimate issue is whether or not it’s good enough to win the SB, but the reason behind it is because it’s a win now league and with the league assisting the passing game, teams are simply adjusting to the college-style game. Guys like Lamar and Dak wouldn’t last a single game under the old passing era of pocket QBs.

we can probably win with Dak, but that’s like saying the Ravens can win with Lamar or Titans with Mariotta, especially since guys like Brady and Rodgers are teaching late in their careers.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I agree. the ultimate issue is whether or not it’s good enough to win the SB, but the reason behind it is because it’s a win now league and with the league assisting the passing game, teams are simply adjusting to the college-style game. Guys like Lamar and Dak wouldn’t last a single game under the old passing era of pocket QBs.

That’s true. I won’t argue that. I think you’re right that QB’s now are “thrown to the wolves” more often than in the past. I feel like it was more commonplace for highly drafted QB’s to sit for a year or two before starting decades ago.

It also has to do with the college game for sure. Less and less college teams run “pro style offenses”.

A lot of college teams never snap the ball under center so their QB’s literally never do it until they get to the NFL.

khiladi

Reaction score
That’s true. I won’t argue that. I think you’re right that QB’s now are “thrown to the wolves” more often than in the past. I feel like it was more commonplace for highly drafted QB’s to sit for a year or two before starting decades ago.

It also has to do with the college game for sure. Less and less college teams run “pro style offenses”.

A lot of college teams never snap the ball under center so their QB’s literally never do it until they get to the NFL.

plus with parity and free agency, everybody is in a win now mode. So they don’t have time to develop teams systematically and over the long haul to build dynasties. The Patriots are a unique exception.

HungryLion

Reaction score
plus with parity and free agency, everybody is in a win now mode. So they don’t have time to develop teams systematically and over the long haul to build dynasties. The Patriots are a unique exception.

That’s true. I feel like years ago a new head coach was given at least a couple years to build a program and people don’t get on them for losing while they did it.

Now they’re expected to win immediately.

The patriots are blessed with having probably the greatest QB of all time, who has also been extremely durable and played an incredibly long time. Most QB’s don’t last as long and stay as healthy as Brady has. Then add in his incredible ability...... it’s almost unfair for the rest of the league.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Thus, the writers contention is that even when Dak drops back, they aren’t traditional five step drops, they are quick screens, or like I said five yard slants.

Dak is not a progression QB, irrespective of shot-gun or traditional drop backs.

Further, percentage is ultimately limited when talking about Dak, as far as the whole body of work, because his volume was traditionally less than everybody else, meaning Dallas was run-heavy.
You've been liking that word "irrespective" quite a bit lately.
Read it somewhere? How did this part of your Lexicon come to bloom recently?
I like it.

jnday

Reaction score
I felt like i mentioned this one too many times under Linehan, he was pushed out. And I also asked how soon before Moore gets the blame.
Linehan was limited by Dak’s skills and Dak will ruin Moore’s career next.

Last edited:

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Yes Dak should've scheduled better. Its what he gets for tearing it up against sawft teams.
That argument is non-linear. The point of the article is the better defenses in the NFL can shut Dak down based on predictability. When you respond to a comment about the quality of teams he played with “he can’t control who he plays,” that avoids the entire point. Stick to the point. What you said was it was quiet when Dak was winning and I gave you the reason why based on the original post.

CWR

Reaction score
That argument is non-linear. The point of the article is the better defenses in the NFL can shut Dak down based on predictability. When you respond to a comment about the quality of teams he played with “he can’t control who he plays,” that avoids the entire point. Stick to the point. What you said was it was quiet when Dak was winning and I gave you the reason why based on the original post.

You took ONE game and threw out the other THREE. You completely ignored our offensive line play and Zekes absolute lack of production. You also ignore Daks repeated success when throwing on first down vs our inexplicable tendency to run into a pile repeatedly putting Dak behind the chains. Im sorry there were other variables not fitting into your narrative but its not that simple.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

That still requires making the leap that because the playcalling doesn't have Dak doing something , that he can't do it.

superonyx

Reaction score

The reality is we run a Coryell, traditional drop back system. We adjusted it for Dak, not the other way around. Like I said, Linehan had this team at third in play action usage in Dak’s first year and we used it often with Linehan and do it with Moore, when with Romo we didn’t. We go more spread and so on.

It sounds like speculation and guesses.
Who is this guy and how could he possibly know this?

when someone (you in this case) reads something you agree with then it gets labeled as good analysis. I’m not even saying you are wrong. All I am saying is you are operating with a ton of assumptions and using facts that you could not possibly know are facts to support your position.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
You took ONE game and threw out the other THREE. You completely ignored our offensive line play and Zekes absolute lack of production. You also ignore Daks repeated success when throwing on first down vs our inexplicable tendency to run into a pile repeatedly putting Dak behind the chains. Im sorry there were other variables not fitting into your narrative but its not that simple.
That is fair enough on the surface 4 games into the season. If you have the time check out the last three seasons and the offensive production against top 15 defenses.

Reactions: CWR

Number1

Reaction score
In 44 games, he has never dropped back and passed after taking the snap from under center more than three or four times in game.

it's called play action deep

moreover, it has to be set up by making the D think run, to do that you have be able to impose your will on the ground

the assumption that deception is the key is false - the key is execution run / pass / or option

when the Boys O fails 4 of 5 times it's because they got beat from OG to OG, just like every other team

this game is won in the pit - Williams, Frederick, and Martin got handled last week, sloppy hands didn't help

in the Boys last 2 games vs serious comp, LA and NO, our $60M OL couldn't get one of the best RBs in the game 50y

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Negating 8 games last season is good analysis?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
it's called play action deep

moreover, it has to be set up by making the D think run, to do that you have be able to impose your will on the ground

the assumption that deception is the key is false - the key is execution run / pass / or option

when the Boys O fails 4 of 5 times it's because they got beat from OG to OG, just like every other team

this game is won in the pit - Williams, Frederick, and Martin got handled last week, sloppy hands didn't help

in the Boys last 2 games vs serious comp, LA and NO, our $60M OL couldn't get one of the best RBs in the game 50y
I don't disagree, at the end of the day the best laid plans and schemes go to heck if you can't execute!!

and I am totally with you on the game being won/lost in the Pit....

and I agree 100% that if the run isn't working, then play action will have limited impact...I have to fear the run for the play action to be effective..

my only point was, if lets say 25 snaps per game are from under center. and only 5 of those are passes, then 20 are runs. that's a huge tendency for defense to key on..... specially if the run isn't working.

Number1

Reaction score
I don't disagree, at the end of the day the best laid plans and schemes go to heck if you can't execute!!

and I am totally with you on the game being won/lost in the Pit....

and I agree 100% that if the run isn't working, then play action will have limited impact...I have to fear the run for the play action to be effective..

my only point was, if lets say 25 snaps per game are from under center. and only 5 of those are passes, then 20 are runs. that's a huge tendency for defense to key on..... specially if the run isn't working.

I hear you

it's the core assumption in the article - Dak can't 3 step or 5 step well or they'd do more of it

that's like saying we can't blitz because we don't do it often

personally, I'd do everything different - but they don't listen to me