News: USAToday: John Fassel ready to reinvent Cowboys forgotten phase, special teams

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought Special Teams did pretty good in the loss to the Eagles. At least they put all our points on the board
Our special teams was a disaster. Too many 80 yard plus drives. I think the most in the league

Mr_437

Reaction score
First impression...I really like Bones, seems like a good coach just by his mindset n approach.

Key part of the interview, Bones talked about how he has scouting reports from when LAR played vs DAL. I think that is a bonus for him moving forward, and when he's done busting down tape...he should know who he wants to keep.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Special Teams will need a good coach.
Seems the punting went south this past season.
Maher gone, don't know if we keep his replacement. Let's not forget he has not been great on many teams and frankly his performance with the boys was probably a positive outlier compared to his normal production.

Will be curious if the give a rookie a legit shot at the position and possibly two for K,/FG and punting. Probably find a FA or undrafted rookie fa.

Our starting position has got to improve. I don't have the numbers but I gotta believe we are towards the bottom of thd league. Which makes our number one offense ranking even more impressive.

I don't know where we rank at opponents starting field position but would imagine their average starting position is much better than ours.

Combine those two and is a lot of lost yardage.

This also will be interesting to see how many undrafted fans we acquire and even low pay players in regular fa. We should have a lot of positions to fill and many of them will need to be able to help in st.
As others have stated.. Better ST play last year may... MAY... have us winning another game or more.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Very excited for this hire. Even average ST would have got us to the playoffs.

Instead. 8-8.
I agree, but we're talking 8-8 to a one-and-done in the playoffs and an even lower draft slot.

willia451

Reaction score
I agree, but we're talking 8-8 to a one-and-done in the playoffs and an even lower draft slot.
Yeah. I just can't stand NOT making the playoffs. It irritates the heck out of me.

But........is what it is now. Clapman is gone. And so are his bovine minions. Here's to the future.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
John Fassel ready to reinvent Cowboys forgotten phase, special teams
giphy.gif

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah. I just can't stand NOT making the playoffs. It irritates the heck out of me.

But........is what it is now. Clapman is gone. And so are his bovine minions. Here's to the future.
Right on homie.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The difference between average on punt returns and where Dallas was last year is less than 2 yards. Kick return was worse but, in both cases, the sample sizes are so small that 1 return skews the numbers a lot.

The idea of the Cowboys special teams being a huge problem is wildly overblown.
Special teams is more than just kick and punt returns.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
John Fassel ready to reinvent Cowboys forgotten phase, special teams

john-fassel.jpg

Mike McCarthy did not hesitate to surround himself with experienced and respected assistant coaches after arriving in Dallas. This mindset was on full display when McCarthy and the Cowboys front of...

Read Full Story
I'm looking forward to watching this improve.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hes had Tavon Austin before. He knows how to use him on special teams

hopefully he can forget this version of Tavon, ..and the team can help him seek out another, different (far much better) version

Nav22

Reaction score
The difference between average on punt returns and where Dallas was last year is less than 2 yards. Kick return was worse but, in both cases, the sample sizes are so small that 1 return skews the numbers a lot.

The idea of the Cowboys special teams being a huge problem is wildly overblown.
We had the worst kicker in the league (until we finally cut him) and the worst punter in the league.

Worst starting field position in the league too.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
We had the worst kicker in the league (until we finally cut him) and the worst punter in the league.

Worst starting field position in the league too.
Not one of those things changes because of a special teams coach. Not one.

Nav22

Reaction score
Not one of those things changes because of a special teams coach. Not one.
LOL what? Coaching matters at all levels. Special teams isn’t immune to that.

I guess we’ll find out if a special teams coach changes any of those weaknesses. Let’s see if we’re still one of the worst ST units in the league in 2020.

We waited a long time to cut Brett Maher. Maybe a better ST coordinator urges the team to pull the plug earlier? Maybe better coaching could’ve helped Maher get his confidence back?