News: USAToday: John Fassel ready to reinvent Cowboys forgotten phase, special teams

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LOL what? Coaching matters at all levels. Special teams isn’t immune to that.

I guess we’ll find out if a special teams coach changes any of those weaknesses. Let’s see if we’re still one of the worst ST units in the league in 2020.

We waited a long time to cut Brett Maher. Maybe a better ST coordinator urges the team to pull the plug earlier? Maybe better coaching could’ve helped Maher get his confidence back?
Te ST coach does not matter for how good your kicker or punter are. Coaching only influences that with when you decide to kick...but that's on the HC.

"One of the worst units in the league" is a matter of like 2 yards lol. Field position is reflective of what your offense and defense do.

The ST coach can provide input, but he's not the final say. So...he doesn't really matter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Special teams coverage and return units have looked poor for a while and I think especially this past season. Hope to see Fassel turn this group around.

Nav22

Reaction score
Te ST coach does not matter for how good your kicker or punter are. Coaching only influences that with when you decide to kick...but that's on the HC.

"One of the worst units in the league" is a matter of like 2 yards lol. Field position is reflective of what your offense and defense do.

The ST coach can provide input, but he's not the final say. So...he doesn't really matter.
So kicker and punter are the only positions on the field whose performances aren’t influenced one bit by coaching? Got it. If that makes sense to you.

No, “one of the worst units in the league” is based on the entire special teams. Kicking success, punting success, return success, etc.

Fassel is known for his trickery as well. A well-timed and well-executed fake can turn a game or a season. A surprise pooch punt rather than a 55-yard FG attempt can flip field position. Those are designed by the ST coordinator and they can certainly influence the HC on game day.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So kicker and punter are the only positions on the field whose performances aren’t influenced one bit by coaching? Got it. If that makes sense to you.

No, “one of the worst units in the league” is based on the entire special teams. Kicking success, punting success, return success, etc.

Fassel is known for his trickery as well. A well-timed and well-executed fake can turn a game or a season. A surprise pooch punt rather than a 55-yard FG attempt can flip field position. Those are designed by the ST coordinator and they can certainly influence the HC on game day.
I didn't say they aren't influenced by coachign. I said the ST coordinator doesn't. Those aren't the only ones.

Kicking success and punting success is independent of the ST corodinator. The only thing the ST coord can change is coverage and return units (barely). The difference between horrible and average is so negligible it doesn't matter.

If trick plays are part of your scheme it means you're not a good team. What's the saying "if they had to run a trick play, it means they know you're better." Like honestly who cares if youc an run a surprise pooch lol. Being tricky to save 5 yards is pointless.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
John Fassel ready to reinvent Cowboys forgotten phase, special teams

john-fassel.jpg

Mike McCarthy did not hesitate to surround himself with experienced and respected assistant coaches after arriving in Dallas. This mindset was on full display when McCarthy and the Cowboys front of...

Read Full Story

Well, I certainly would like to see us improve there and am curious to what he's going to do. Are we going to finally be able to return a bloody kick without a bloody flag?

Kwyn

Reaction score
John Fassel ready to reinvent Cowboys forgotten phase, special teams

john-fassel.jpg

Mike McCarthy did not hesitate to surround himself with experienced and respected assistant coaches after arriving in Dallas. This mindset was on full display when McCarthy and the Cowboys front of...

Read Full Story
Thank God. I’m sure I’m not alone in that I was as excited about this change as I was any other.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It feels good to have new blood with the coaching staff. Can't wait to see the changes in all 3 phases of the team

And proper bloody coaches, especially in this critical phase! How many times have we complained about the poor showings at ST? The Austin fair catch against the Vikings was a good bloody example!

Kwyn

Reaction score
The difference between average on punt returns and where Dallas was last year is less than 2 yards. Kick return was worse but, in both cases, the sample sizes are so small that 1 return skews the numbers a lot.

The idea of the Cowboys special teams being a huge problem is wildly overblown.
It wasn’t the receiving yards, it’s the hundreds of yards of lost field position through 16 games. The repeated boneheaded penalties and mistakes.

The Special Teams Coach also has amore influence in the teams players than anyone but the HC. He is in many of the unit meetings because he has to coach linemen, DB’s, receivers, etc because all of them play special teams. He also gets all of the less established players, the ones who are young in their careers and are still on every special teams play. That means the influence of the ST Coach is critical to the development of those guys who might not get as much focus and attention in other situations.

If you get a good ST Coach, and we now have one of the best, you can get a *lot* more out of it than return yards and trick plays.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Will be glad to see Chris Jones gone. He’s been in decline for at least 2 years

Yes, and I think we should strongly go get an Aussie punter again. Remember when we had Mat McBriar? He was an absolute monster at punting! I love watching the Aussies punt. I think that'd be a good place to start.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Not one of those things changes because of a special teams coach. Not one.
Huh. So, if ST coaching can’t impact punting, kicking or field position, then why have one?

Hell, Mike? I’ll do it for a quarter of what you’re paying Fassel

Nav22

Reaction score
I didn't say they aren't influenced by coachign. I said the ST coordinator doesn't. Those aren't the only ones.

Kicking success and punting success is independent of the ST corodinator. The only thing the ST coord can change is coverage and return units (barely). The difference between horrible and average is so negligible it doesn't matter.

If trick plays are part of your scheme it means you're not a good team. What's the saying "if they had to run a trick play, it means they know you're better." Like honestly who cares if youc an run a surprise pooch lol. Being tricky to save 5 yards is pointless.
LOL a surprise onside kick in the Super Bowl helped the Saints win the game. Keep acting like it “doesn’t matter”.

Muffed punts in the NFC Championship game helped the Giants beat the 49ers in 2011. The 49ers return unit failed miserably. Besides the head coach, who does that fall on?? Oh... the special teams coordinator??

You have zero basis for saying kickers/punters aren’t affected by the ST coordinator. Coaching matters across the board. By that same logic, could I say that Zeke isn’t affected one bit by his RB coach? Why or why not?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here are a few punters I've got in mind:

Ben Scruton Hawaii: https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4064454/ben-scruton (wish there was a video, but his link here looks quite good).
Arryn Siposs Auburn: Him playing Aussie rules before attending Auburn. He's entered the draft and looks like a rather good prospect.
Joel Whitford Washington: I like what I see in the video, and he looks like he's done well for Washington.

I think these are 3 very good options for us.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It wasn’t the receiving yards, it’s the hundreds of yards of lost field position through 16 games. The repeated boneheaded penalties and mistakes.

The Special Teams Coach also has amore influence in the teams players than anyone but the HC. He is in many of the unit meetings because he has to coach linemen, DB’s, receivers, etc because all of them play special teams. He also gets all of the less established players, the ones who are young in their careers and are still on every special teams play. That means the influence of the ST Coach is critical to the development of those guys who might not get as much focus and attention in other situations.

If you get a good ST Coach, and we now have one of the best, you can get a *lot* more out of it than return yards and trick plays.
Nah.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Garrett coached this team poorly in all phases of the game .

Terrible results for 10 years . New coaches need to re-invent the forgotten dallas cowboys team .

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Huh. So, if ST coaching can’t impact punting, kicking or field position, then why have one?

Hell, Mike? I’ll do it for a quarter of what you’re paying Fassel

I agree. Rams special team prior to Fassel was not very good. I saw Jerry Glanville become take units in Houston and Atlanta and make them great in special team, he brought a hit the beach mentality and these guys were out to make plays in special teams. It is not about the FG kicker and punter as much as it is about getting guys excited and hungry to make plays in the return game and the coverage units.

conner01

Reaction score

He can’t make a kicker or punter dramatically better, maybe some tweak helps
He can influence the positions though as to who we get there
He can help return and coverage units by instilling some discipline in those units
And maybe better blocking and coverage schemes