Use the Tush Push to Counter the Tush Push?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
What if your defense also pushes a talented and fast defender into the pile in order to stop the QB from being pushed and/or diving forward. Say, you have your bigger guys up front. Mazi, Tank, Hankins, Maybe throw Tyler Smith out there or OK give me Sam Williams or Armstrong.

Then, line up Parsons to go whichever way Hurts goes, and the team pushes him in to stop Hurts. If Hurts takes off, Parsons catches him.

Am I off my rocker here? Like, if we can stop the clock between plays to switch personnel how do you stop this play?

How would you draw up a play to stop the tush push?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Honestly I don’t think you stop it other than get lucky on occasion. Philly is just too good at the play. It takes a special center to snap the ball properly and fire off the ball like that and Hurts just has a natural feel for how to move within the pile and the physical ability as well. I honestly don’t think the pushers from behind do very much at all, it’s just a C/G/QB who have perfected the qb sneak. It doesn’t get talked about because it didn’t have anything special about the play but Brady was another guy who had an insanely good success rate with a qb sneak.

Kwyn

Reaction score
What if your defense also pushes a talented and fast defender into the pile in order to stop the QB from being pushed and/or diving forward. Say, you have your bigger guys up front. Mazi, Tank, Hankins, Maybe throw Tyler Smith out there or OK give me Sam Williams or Armstrong.

Then, line up Parsons to go whichever way Hurts goes, and the team pushes him in to stop Hurts. If Hurts takes off, Parsons catches him.

Am I off my rocker here? Like, if we can stop the clock between plays to switch personnel how do you stop this play?

Doesn’t work like that cause the defense doesn’t know the snap count and always gets off second.

It’s not just one guy flying through. It’s 11 vs 11

It’s a bad look for football. Not saying it’s unfair but I don’t think it’s good for the game

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

If you lined up in a wedge like the offense does....they'd just run one of their other plays they have built in off that formation...and lob a pass to a guy who'd waltz into the endzone.

Looks like they always have their receivers flanking their QB. Think you have to keep guys out of a wedge to prevent them from doing more damage than just a yard.

Easy answer: don't let them get into 3rd or 4th and 1 (or 2)

Cydios

Reaction score
They've tried. Our Defensive line is not big and designed for power, it's designed to be elusive and speedy.

Hardline

Reaction score
If the Eagles were on our 1 yard line in that formation, I would just purposely fire off pre snap every time destroying their offensive line until they stopped. Getting a penalty in that situation means nothing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Be careful, they have shown an outside run out of that formation. You line up that way and expect that to be the audible.

CCBoy

Reaction score

The fast center is not needed. Overload size between the tackles with the biggest and strongest pair on both sides of the center and conduct a very low scrum in unison...pushed higher up from behind.

conner01

Reaction score
..best defense, is not to let it manifest.

3rd n long.
That is the one proven method of stopping it. Every DC in the nfl has tried to counter it with no success. Yet all they had to do is use some simple logic lol

quickccc

Reaction score

Is it a reason why other NFL teams , particularly defenses, have not already tried " counter- tush-push " ..?

:huh:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I see no way of any team really stopping it. Hurtz is too strong, and Kelce is too good. And certainly the Cowboys DTs and LBs have NO shot. So instead...

....I would make them pay for doing it. Just bring in your heaviest DTs and MLBs, and then pile on Kelce and Hurtz's backs until they blow the whistle. Make them FEEL every Tush Push, and eventually, all that weight will cause something to go awry at the bottom of the pile. So I think the DTs, LBs, and safeties should just erect a massive pile of bodies with all Eagles at the bottom. Eventually, one of these Eagles will be "sacrificed" for that Tush Push.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think the best defense for that play is to have a couple of guys dive at the feet of the first blockers so all the others can do is trip over them, then go over the top.
This is pretty much it, DL has to dive down to take the OL legs out so they can not drive their blocks. LBs and S come over the top.