Use the Tush Push to Counter the Tush Push?

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Someone is gonna get hurt (npi) with one of these plays and guess what? THEN, the NFL will step in and say stop it...

:cool:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
What if your defense also pushes a talented and fast defender into the pile in order to stop the QB from being pushed and/or diving forward. Say, you have your bigger guys up front. Mazi, Tank, Hankins, Maybe throw Tyler Smith out there or OK give me Sam Williams or Armstrong.

Then, line up Parsons to go whichever way Hurts goes, and the team pushes him in to stop Hurts. If Hurts takes off, Parsons catches him.

Am I off my rocker here? Like, if we can stop the clock between plays to switch personnel how do you stop this play?

How would you draw up a play to stop the tush push?
Personally, I believe this type of play should be outlawed, it's not football, it's a Rugby type of play that the Eagles have adopted from the NRL and it goes against every thing AMERICAN FOOTBALL. The NFL has always been a copy-cat league and if it thought it was a good idea to install rugby type plays into it's league it would have done so 60 or 70 years ago. No, it's time to outlaw this play just like they don't allow offensive movement towards the line of scrimmage as the ball is being snapped like they do in the CFL. No, if teams want to go for it on 4th and 1 or 2 then have your QB quarterback sneak behind his linemen WITHOUT someone pushing him from behind or hand it off to the RB, now that's AMERICAN FOOTBALL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What if your defense also pushes a talented and fast defender into the pile in order to stop the QB from being pushed and/or diving forward. Say, you have your bigger guys up front. Mazi, Tank, Hankins, Maybe throw Tyler Smith out there or OK give me Sam Williams or Armstrong.

Then, line up Parsons to go whichever way Hurts goes, and the team pushes him in to stop Hurts. If Hurts takes off, Parsons catches him.

Am I off my rocker here? Like, if we can stop the clock between plays to switch personnel how do you stop this play?

How would you draw up a play to stop the tush push?
JJ Watt said it’s pretty much undefensible unless you crash on the outside

Adreme

Reaction score
Pardon my skepticism that this is actually a significant factor. Sounds more like something you make up to make yourself seem extra-analytical and, especially, to fill air time. :)
I mean it’s Kelce’s entire reason for doing it and he knows he is doing it. I didn’t play C so I don’t know but I trust the HoF C on what works for him.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I mean it’s Kelce’s entire reason for doing it and he knows he is doing it. I didn’t play C so I don’t know but I trust the HoF C on what works for him.
It's not an opinion-based assertion, though... it's something that can be measured, and all I'm saying is... admittedly, having not studied it and going off just pure conjecture of my own... it's hard for me to believe there is that drastic a difference between how fast any given C can snap the ball versus any other given C. And to the point here, hard to persuade me that other teams cannot similarly master the play if they made the effort.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
IT should be an illegal play , the defense can't push each other .It's BS.But philly started it so ,there you go.I will say while it is still legal in the league, maybe we should use it against who started it.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We could sign Troy Polamalu and have him only play during tush push downs against Philadelphia

_sturt_

Reaction score
Personally, I believe this type of play should be outlawed, it's not football, it's a Rugby type of play that the Eagles have adopted from the NRL and it goes against every thing AMERICAN FOOTBALL. The NFL has always been a copy-cat league and if it thought it was a good idea to install rugby type plays into it's league it would have done so 60 or 70 years ago. No, it's time to outlaw this play just like they don't allow offensive movement towards the line of scrimmage as the ball is being snapped like they do in the CFL. No, if teams want to go for it on 4th and 1 or 2 then have your QB quarterback sneak behind his linemen WITHOUT someone pushing him from behind or hand it off to the RB, now that's AMERICAN FOOTBALL.
Imo, there won't be a change unless/until other teams master it. If you outlaw it as-is, it is taken as making a rule specifically as punishment to a single team and that has a bad smell to it... "None of the rest of us are able to do it well, so we're just going to litigate your advantage out of the game." But if a handful of teams get good at it so that it's not so selective, then it becomes more plausible.

And pardon my broken record here... but we spend too much time talking about defending against it or removing it... and not enough time talking about neutralizing the advantage by getting so good at it ourselves that it's a zero sum conversation.