Value of 2023 2nd round OT?

Fmart322

Reaction score
Q1: Does a 2023 2nd round pick have more value than Laremy Tunsil?

Q2: Would you swap a 2nd for Tunsil and a 3rd if you only get Tunsil for 1 year at 1 million.

Details
Tunsil 2 years at an average of 9.5M per year for a the team that acquires him.

2nd round pick probably redshirts as a rookie.
- Realistically they get 3 cheap starting seasons from the draft pick.

If they end up wanting to move Tyler to LT in 2023, they could get back a 3rd round pick for Tunsil.
- They would only end up paying him 1M for 2022 and the team that trades for him would inherit 18M for 2023.
At this point in the season, yeah. We have a solid team that should make the playoffs and all of a sudden we lose out all pro LT. If we want to have a real chance this year we need to sacrifice a little bit of the future unfortunately. And I hate trading away the future too.
We need to make a move soon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tunsil + Houston's 2nd for Dallas 1st.

Then Houston's GM looks like he won the trade because most fans just see that he got a 1st...
Not trading our first we KD d no idea how this season will play out. If that’s a top 15 pick we got screwed.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I like building through the draft young players you have under rookie contract control . I keep my second and in 2023 Jaelyn Duncan 6’6” 315 out of Maryland plays in a versatile offense should be plug and play right next to Tyler Smith to form a nice young left side wall. Assuming he’s available of course .

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

Q2: Would you swap a 2nd for Tunsil and a 3rd if you only get Tunsil for 1 year at 1 million.

Details

If they end up wanting to move Tyler to LT in 2023, they could get back a 3rd round pick for Tunsil.
- They would only end up paying him 1M for 2022 and the team that trades for him would inherit 18M for 2023.

is it possible....heck. yeah....Are the Jones creative enough or willing to do it.....heck NO...The GM and.Stephens Jones arn't about spending money the see draft picks as a cheaper alternative than trades or FA....

Verdict

Reaction score
Tunsil + Houston's 2nd for Dallas 1st.

Then Houston's GM looks like he won the trade because most fans just see that he got a 1st...
That would probably be an outstanding trade for Dallas. We should be picking in the 20s and Houston’s pick should be very high in round 2. 15 pick drop maybe +/- 3.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Why would Houston do it? And John McClain the longtime Houston Chronicle writer says that he would earn them a 1st round pick and more. They would also take a big cap hit.

they only are going to have him under contract for next year and then he's going to want 25 million a year

That's why I think Houston would legitimately offload him if the offer is good enough . By the time you have to pay him again (2024) he's going to have 105+ games played in the NFL and want 25 million a year

Tunsil isnt on their radar for a long-term option, too much money and too much wear n tear.

If the haul is good enough they would definitely get rid of him now (more picks now during the rebuild, 19 million saved next 2 years, and you don't have to pay him 25 million a year when he's past his prime)

If anything it would be a move someone like Bill Belichick would and has done in the past

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Teams think Dallas is desperate, so they'll end up trying to rake us across the coals. I think, we should just go in to week one with what we have, then bring in a vet if needed. That way the vets salary isn't guaranteed for the whole year.

My gut tells me,,,week one the LT will be Tyler Smith then Jerry will go get Whitworth out of retirement.....the ground work is laid.....now its time for Jerry to seal the deal

Verdict

Reaction score
Never trade prime draft picks for a short time rental….foolish. You only trade for a guy of Tunsil’s ability IF you know you can resign/extend him.
Actually trading a second for him isn’t a full net loss as you are probably going to net some sort of comp pick when he departs in free agency if he is not resigned.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Reportedly yes.

Texans are rebuilding and they have a backup that has started 30 NFL games.

Tunsil was acquired by the previous GM.

Id give up a second for Tunsil in a heartbeat. If Smith truly is the LT of the future, Tunsil would make a fantastic RT. Cement the bookends for the foreseeable future.

But then the Cowboys can’t roll the dice on an injured trouble maker in the second round so it won’t happen.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Actually trading a second for him isn’t a full net loss as you are probably going to net some sort of comp pick when he departs in free agency if he is not resigned.

A 2nd would be nice if you can convince the Texans to do it.....but I still don't think the Jones family is interested or could pull off the trade...its more than they are willing to pay for.....

NotForLong

Reaction score

Details

This is very logically . . . And if Cowboys allow Him to walk in free agency . . . they will recoup a draft pick

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Details

Yes their rebuilding but is there another issue

Creeper

Reaction score

Details

He is probably worth a 2nd round pick, but I doubt we could get him for a 2nd round pick.

Clearly they are trying to save CAP space which is why they seem willing to roll the dice on a rookie or Josh Ball.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
My gut tells me,,,week one the LT will be Tyler Smith then Jerry will go get Whitworth out of retirement.....the ground work is laid.....now its time for Jerry to seal the deal
The rams still have Whitworth's rights.

John813

Reaction score
Just don't get why Houston would dump unless they got a real good offer. A day 2 pick isn't a good offer

JustChip

Reaction score
what if our first is a high first?
Well, you do the deal because you believe the team is a playoff team that’s been jeopardized by Tyron’s injury. It won’t be a high 1st if that’s the case.

But I wouldn’t do it if you’re Biff and can tell me right now they will underperform and be a top 10 pick. But I don’t think that’ll be the case.