Van life

lukin2006

Reaction score
#vanlife

Has anyone tried living in a van? By choice? Know anyone who has? Apparently, it is a thing and getting more popular. Interesting. There are even people who stay in their unheated vans through the Canadian winter. I will admit, I admire people who do odd things like this.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not doing research to eventually live in a van. LOL

lukin2006

Reaction score
For first hand accounts, go to your local Walmart late at night and ask those who are living in their vans. Nothing against Walmart, just that they are friendly to those living in their vehicles.

Make sure the van is not a rockin' before you go knockin.

Our Wal Mart mostly just has truckers. Not much reason to live in your van around here...

lukin2006

Reaction score
I lot of them are single. I guess it hards to meet people when you live in a van, what do say "let's take this party back to my Caravan"?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Just realized that with drive-thrus and food trucks, grocery delivery, etc one living in a van basically would only have to go outside to shower and relieve oneself. A hole in the floor would eliminate the latter. A hole in the roof might eliminate the former.

Need some people capable of travelling to Mars, find some who have been living in their vans. No problem for them.

lukin2006

Reaction score
It seems like they are modern hippies? At the present time, they do not want to conform to what is presumed normal.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Detroit Tigers had a starting pitcher a few years ago that lived the van life in the off-season.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been following the RV/Van life channels on Youtube for a couple of years now because I plan to start traveling next year.

When I first heard about people doing that, I had the same preconceptions most people do. Either it was people who could not afford rent (meme-mode: RENT IS TOO **** HIGH!) or it was hippies who wanted to live in a van, dude.

While you will find that segment of people of course, there are a lot more professional people doing this every year including people making really good salaries and/or running their own companies.

I was expecting to see a lot of vans that had crude shades over their windows and a blow-up mattress in the back that just screamed "Free candy inside!" but there are some amazing van conversion builds out there that in some cases are nicer than the house/apartment you live in.

The thing that appeals to me the most though is being able to travel around and see places and if you hate your neighbors, you just start the vehicle and move. :D

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Drive the PCH in Cali, the beaches are lined with vans. Most are surfer, hippies looking for the next wave :laugh:

I could never do a van but give me a boat anyday :flagwave:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was young my pops got a job working on a power plant in Florida. Was going to be a full summer job. We about a week after school let out and came back a few days after school started back up.

That whole summer Pops, mom and I lived in a midsized, at best, winnebago. The RV park was right on a river that drained into the gulf which was about a mile away if that.

Was OK as a young kid for the most part. Being in a hurricane that dropped to tropical storm level just before hitti g the gulf and thinking the wind was going to sweep us away was scary.

nobody

Reaction score
I guess that lifestyle is okay, but it's certainly not the vanswer for me.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Don't need no stinkin van :D
big_1444154251_image.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
#vanlife

Has anyone tried living in a van? By choice? Know anyone who has? Apparently, it is a thing and getting more popular. Interesting. There are even people who stay in their unheated vans through the Canadian winter. I will admit, I admire people who do odd things like this.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not doing research to eventually live in a van. LOL
Of course not, I see absolutely no connection between your divorce thread and the van thread.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Of course not, I see absolutely no connection between your divorce thread and the van thread.

I have always wanted to rent an RV out in BC and drive along the BC and US west coast right to San Diego...that would be fun.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have always wanted to rent an RV out in BC and drive along the BC and US west coast right to San Diego...that would be fun.
RV? Yep, but I will pass on a van. We had a StarCraft van in the 80's and it was cool, for tailgating and trips but I wouldn't have wanted to live in it.