Van life

SlammedZero

Reaction score
What happened to the old 70s/80s van designs? My grandparents had a mid-80s van that had (in the back) 2 captain chairs, a table, a little refrigerator, and a couch in the very back that folded down to a bed. My grandparents used to always take me on Oregon Coast trips and we would just take the van and save by skipping out on hotels. I would just crash on the floor (when you're young you can get away with that lol). My uncle went on a few trips with us and he would just throw up a tent outside at night. Plus there are some great camping spots along Highway 101. Good times :)

Anyways, I guess my point was it was very livable.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What happened to the old 70s/80s van designs? My grandparents had a mid-80s van that had (in the back) 2 captain chairs, a table, a little refrigerator, and a couch in the very back that folded down to a bed. My grandparents used to always take me on Oregon Coast trips and we would just take the van and save by skipping out on hotels. I would just crash on the floor (when you're young you can get away with that lol). My uncle went on a few trips with us and he would just throw up a tent outside at night. Plus there are some great camping spots along Highway 101. Good times :)

Anyways, I guess my point was it was very livable.
They still make them. Those are called "conversion vans" and there are companies that create those from standard passenger vans.

The only problem is the costs as a new conversion van now will run you $80,000 and up.

rags747

Reaction score
#vanlife

Has anyone tried living in a van? By choice? Know anyone who has? Apparently, it is a thing and getting more popular. Interesting. There are even people who stay in their unheated vans through the Canadian winter. I will admit, I admire people who do odd things like this.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not doing research to eventually live in a van. LOL
I Live In My Van, But My Other Car Is A Ferrari 348 With A Bike Rack
https://petrolicious.com/articles/i...jV0YN0dpfeLzdytDlGeW60y_o3OLggnL2o5cGD3yRIiI4

Hardline

Reaction score
Me and my Great Dane live in this van.
We travel the country investigating paranormal activity cases.
mystery-machine-01.jpg

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's pretty awesome. That would be super legit to have as a kid!
I always wanted a racing car bed when I was a kid but never got one.

My dad and I talked about that when I was older and he said the reason he never considered it was because he knew I would be racing it constantly with loud sound effects :D

He was right ... *laughs*

lukin2006

Reaction score
I am now wf school bus conversions. Some people do amazing work.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am now wf school bus conversions. Some people do amazing work.
What is "wf?"

While there are some impressive school bus conversions (schoolies as they are called), I would never want to have one of those because of the very low gas mileage and horrible reliability. The conversions are still impressive though :)

lukin2006

Reaction score
What is "wf?"

While there are some impressive school bus conversions (schoolies as they are called), I would never want to have one of those because of the very low gas mileage and horrible reliability. The conversions are still impressive though :)

It was supposed to be watching. I'm a poor proofreader. lol.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I wouldn't use an RV unless someone else was paying for all of the maintenance. RVs are very poorly built and many require maintenance right out of the showroom including RVs well into the six figures.

With a van conversion, you mostly have to only worry about car-like maintenance and repairs and with a van, most repair places will work on them.

With an RV, you usually have to take them to an RV repair place which there are fewer of so they charge a lot more and they have long waiting lists. I have had friends for example whose generators went out and the earliest they could get them repaired at any RV place was 4-8 weeks.
That’s not entirely true. Check out NuCamp T@B teardrop RV’s. They are very, very well made.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not entirely true. Check out NuCamp T@B teardrop RV’s. They are very, very well made.
I was talking about RVs (recreational vehicles) with engines such as Class A, B or Cs, not trailers like fifth wheels, teardrops, etc.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I was talking about RVs (recreational vehicles) with engines such as Class A, B or Cs, not trailers like fifth wheels, teardrops, etc.
OK thanks for clarifying because Teardrops are RV's as well. They have kitchens, bathrooms, AC, TV'S etc.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK thanks for clarifying because Teardrops are RV's as well. They have kitchens, bathrooms, AC, TV'S etc.
Teardrops, fifth wheels, etc. may loosely be referred to as RVs, but they really aren't a vehicle as much as a mobile home like traditional mobile homes (trailers). While I am very familiar with them, I really do not consider them a real RV because they are basically just metal tents you pull around with another actual vehicle.