Vander Esch vs. Brian Urlacher - Stats Comparison

T-RO

Reaction score
Did Urlacher start his rookie season for the whole season? I know LVE hasn't but I don't know how many he started off the top of my head.

Urlacher started 14 of 16. So he will have played a bit more than LVE

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I recall at least two draft analysts who compared Vander Esch to Brian Urlacher, and that was before the season. That seemed a bit of a reach consider Urlacher is in the Hall of Fame.

I decided to take a few minutes and take LVE's current stats and project them out to seasonal totals assuming he plays the remaining 4 games. Then compare that with Urlacher's rookie season.

Solo Tackles:
LVE: 98
Urlacher: 101

Assist Tackles
LVE: 31
Urlacher: 24

Tackles for Loss
LVE: 3
Urlacher: 16

Interceptions
Urlacher: 2

Passes Defended
LVE: 9
Urlacher: 5

Fumbles Recovered
LVE: 0
Urlacher: 0

Forced Fumbles

Sacks
Urlacher: 8

QB Hits
LVE: 2

In terms of tackles Leighton certainly measures up, though he hasn't yet shown Brian's penchant for behind the line of scrimmage tackles. They both came out of the gate their rookie years tackling like soldiers.

Clearly Urlacher did a lot of successful quarterback hunting, which is something that the Cowboys don't really even look to try with Vander Esch. If Dallas blitzes a linebacker it's usually Jaylon taking those duties.
Well fer' 1 obvious fact concerning the #55's sacking of the quarter back numbers?,,, that's not of his currently commanded configured forte' in his GAMEPLAY,,, & while a known carrier of the Paris Hilton fire ctrotch syndrome CHICAGO'S beast L.B. enjoyed a shortend career accordingly to his devil may care/ cuz' I don't Style,,, just sayin' BRO!o_O

jaybird

Reaction score
A few other notes by way of comparison.

Urlacher played four years of college ball, while LVE just three years. Leighton likely is behind where Urlacher was in physical maturity and experience during his debut.

Pre-draft measurables comparison:
Height
LVE: 6'4 1/4
Urlacher 6'3 7/8

Weight
LVE: 256
Urlacher: 258

Arm length:
LVE: 33 7⁄8
Urlacher: 33 in

Hand size:
LVE: 9 3⁄4 in
Urlacher: 9 7⁄8 in

40-yard dash:
LVE: 4.65 s
Urlacher: 4.57 s

10-yard split:
LVE: 1.56 s
Urlacher: 1.63 s

20 yard short shuttle:
LVE: 4.15 s
Urlacher: 4.18 s

3-cone
LVE: 6.88 s
Urlacher: 6.94 s

Vert Jump
LVE: 39 1⁄2 in. (!!!)
Urlacher: 34 in

Broad Jump
LVE: 10 ft 4 in
Urlacher: 10 ft 2 in

Bench Press
LVE: 20 reps
Urlacher: 27 reps

As rookies they are quite comparable, but...
-Leighton is longer, quicker with greater leg explosion
-Brian is stronger and faster at distance
Interesting comparison; LVE is just getting started. For as little college experience he has, his stats are amazing. The fact that he’s even in the conversation with Urlacher is awesome. He’s not even a cut athelete yet. Another year of NFL PT, this Cats going to be lights out. Him and Jaylon together going to be feaken unbelievable

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Here is Leighton's rookie year versus Lee's best season - by tackle count. That was 2016. Reminder: I'm using projected/estimated season totals for LVE.

Solo Tackles:
Lee: 93

Assist Tackles
Lee: 52

Tackles for Loss
Lee: 12

Interceptions
Lee: 0

Passes Defended
Lee: 1

Fumbles Recovered
Lee: 1

Forced Fumbles

Sacks

QB Hits
Lee: 2
I added a stat you missed
Hamstring Pulls
Lee: 3,794

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
I still think Mr Vander Esch is a virtual clone of one Mr Brad Van Pelt circa 1970's playing for the NY football Giants...

...more so then Mr Urlacher...but hey...I'll take either one.

Go Cowboys!

That's not a bad comparison at all. Van Pelt was the Giants star LB, along with Harry Carson, until LT came along and dominated. Growing up in NY with a Giants fan father, I watched those guys play on TV, or live, all the time. Van Pelt was all over the field. Before becoming a Cowboys fan when I was 6, my favorite player was Van Pelt's fellow LB Brian Kelley - #55 for the Giants. I loved the #55 and Kelley was a solid player. It's funny that my Cowboys, 40 years later, finally have a really good #55 and Van Pelt (who I connect with Kelley) was brought up. Just brings back memories of my dad teaching me the game of football back in the mid-late 70s. Time flies. Oh, and I LOVE LVE! He is a smart, great athlete who is playing at an incredibly high level despite not having fully physically matured and being relatively inexperienced football-wise. The sky is the limit for our #55!

tunahelper

Reaction score
I recall at least two draft analysts who compared Vander Esch to Brian Urlacher, and that was before the season. That seemed a bit of a reach consider Urlacher is in the Hall of Fame.

I decided to take a few minutes and take LVE's current stats and project them out to seasonal totals assuming he plays the remaining 4 games. Then compare that with Urlacher's rookie season.

In terms of tackles Leighton certainly measures up, though he hasn't yet shown Brian's penchant for behind the line of scrimmage tackles. They both came out of the gate their rookie years tackling like soldiers.

Clearly Urlacher did a lot of successful quarterback hunting, which is something that the Cowboys don't really even look to try with Vander Esch. If Dallas blitzes a linebacker it's usually Jaylon taking those duties.

Urlacher played safety in college. I believe that helped him with his spatial awareness skills. It is another comparison to the 8-man football LVE played. Both have backgrounds that developed their movement in space.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel certain that LVE will get stronger, given time to work out in the offseason and that should help him somewhat. I'm encouraged that his pass coverage has progressed so impressively, though. That factor should work in his favor, considering the emphasis being placed on the passing game in today's NFL. Obviously, both have been exceptional at the early stages of their careers. I'm well satisfied with LVE, whether he manages to compare favorably with Erlacher or not. Other teams envy us for having him, so there's that, too. In short, we're blessed to have him as our star MLB.

Last edited:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
LBs are used so different from scheme to scheme and it really makes statistical comparisons difficult.

With that being said, Urlacher was great from day 1

Batman1980

Reaction score
Urlacher played safety in college. I believe that helped him with his spatial awareness skills. It is another comparison to the 8-man football LVE played. Both have backgrounds that developed their movement in space.

He always played wide receiver at New Mexico, I believe.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I’d love for them to try and get LVE involved in the blitz game... Jaylon is really good but he would become better if the opposing Oline wasn’t sure which LB could be coming. Fake a blitz from this guy, send the other.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score

Solo Tackles:
Urlacher: 101

Assist Tackles
Urlacher: 24

Tackles for Loss
Urlacher: 16

Interceptions
Urlacher: 2

Passes Defended
Urlacher: 5

Fumbles Recovered

Forced Fumbles

Sacks

QB Hits

Nice work, thanks for sharing. I agree with your analysis, both look like tackling machines but Urlacher had that extra special something with the sacks and tackles in the backfield. (scheme likely had as big a part to do with that as anything)

I had no idea who LVE was leading up to the draft, but I am absolutely thrilled with that pick right now and looking forward to his continued dominance.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I’d love for them to try and get LVE involved in the blitz game... Jaylon is really good but he would become better if the opposing Oline wasn’t sure which LB could be coming. Fake a blitz from this guy, send the other.

Yeah I'd like to see Marinelli get more creative with which stud LB is coming.

Donut

Reaction score
Did Urlacker have a spy on the oppositions bench?

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Let LVE get into the weight room and get a professional football team's regimen and system going and the sky is the limit for this kid. This is the kind of player this D has been lacking for awhile and is where we take the next step.

Add Jaylen in with him and the middle of our front 7 is going to be making plays for a long long time.

Jaylen is a beast too. The kid has worked his hind end off amongst all the doubters and is ready to eat.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Could the lack of sacks from the linebacker position be because we try to get to QB by rushing 4?

I would like to see our Blitz percentage,it has to be bottom in the league.I am just happy we are atleast blitzing a Db now and then.