Vander Esch vs. Brian Urlacher - Stats Comparison

blueblood70

Reaction score
well it shows just how Great Urlacher was and LVE while doing very well isn't BU just yet, you cant brush off the Tackles for loss and sacks..those are game changing plays, they effect the offense A LOT putting them behind the chains..

how about compare him to Sean Lees rookie numbers..someone go find those..give they are teammate's and thats who he is replacing , much better Comp..

erod

Reaction score
Go watch Rolando McClain in the '94 Seattle game. Very Vander Eschish.

T-RO

Reaction score
I’d love for them to try and get LVE involved in the blitz game... Jaylon is really good but he would become better if the opposing Oline wasn’t sure which LB could be coming. Fake a blitz from this guy, send the other.

I was thinking this myself as well. I suspect we might see some of this occasionally.

Flipside of why Dallas might not use him that way:
Having LVE roam the middle of the field as such a sure tackler really limits opposing teams from getting many big gains. If you blitz him you lose that. He's almost like an intermediate space safety the way they use him now.

Reactions: BAT

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I gotta give the front office credit for drafting this defensive talent. It's amazing that they drafted this well.
Which will make it a shame if we can't capitalize on the talent we have assembled. Hint, hint (new coach), hint, hint.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I recall at least two draft analysts who compared Vander Esch to Brian Urlacher, and that was before the season. That seemed a bit of a reach consider Urlacher is in the Hall of Fame.

I decided to take a few minutes and take LVE's current stats and project them out to seasonal totals assuming he plays the remaining 4 games. Then compare that with Urlacher's rookie season.

Solo Tackles:
LVE: 98
Urlacher: 101

Assist Tackles
LVE: 31
Urlacher: 24

Tackles for Loss
LVE: 3
Urlacher: 16

Interceptions
LVE: 3
Urlacher: 2

Passes Defended
LVE: 9
Urlacher: 5

Fumbles Recovered
LVE: 0
Urlacher: 0

Forced Fumbles
Urlacher: 0

Sacks
Urlacher: 8

QB Hits
LVE: 2
Urlacher: 8

In terms of tackles Leighton certainly measures up, though he hasn't yet shown Brian's penchant for behind the line of scrimmage tackles. They both came out of the gate their rookie years tackling like soldiers.

Clearly Urlacher did a lot of successful quarterback hunting, which is something that the Cowboys don't really even look to try with Vander Esch. If Dallas blitzes a linebacker it's usually Jaylon taking those duties.

Funny, I don't remember Urlacher dropping into coverage and running with TE's down field. I have zero doubt that if LVE was used to rush the passer, he'd have sacks. Thats just not how we use him.

T-RO

Reaction score
Which will make it a shame if we can't capitalize on the talent we have assembled. Hint, hint (new coach), hint, hint.

You don't think our current coaches deserve some credit for prepping LVE and putting him in a position to succeed?

goshan

Reaction score
Funny, I don't remember Urlacher dropping into coverage and running with TE's down field. I have zero doubt that if LVE was used to rush the passer, he'd have sacks. Thats just not how we use him.

Urlacher was more physical, blitzed and attacked plays behind the line. LVE plays more sideline to sideline and drops in coverage. A lot is scheme difference but LVE isn’t the imposing physical force that Urlacher was (at least yet).

T-RO

Reaction score
Funny, I don't remember Urlacher dropping into coverage and running with TE's down field.

Urlacher had 22 career interceptions. 22! I don't know how much man-to-man coverage he did, but he was devastating dropping into his zone and reading the QB's eyes.

His 8 sacks during his rookie year were in fact his career high. He averaged about 3.5 over his career.

As his career progressed Urlacher did more damage in coverage in coverage than as a pass rusher.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I didn't know who he was either when we drafted him. I knew we needed a LB, which is the reason I wasn't upset the Cowboys didn't pick Moore or Ridley. LB was the greater need.
I thought they would go with Evans. But I'm glad they pick this kid.
He is a dynamic playmaker. He reminds me of Roy Williams in terms of tackling. Roy Williams was a terror his first year with the Cowboys. When he hit guys, they moved backwards violently. And LVE is a catalyst for turnovers. I don't know if anyone else noticed but when he started getting and causing turnovers, other members of the defense start making/getting turnovers.
LVE should DEFINITELY win defensive rookie of the year. Heck, I think he should get rookie of the year, but you know that's going to Baker Mayfield or S. Barkley. The league is partial to offense.
Neverthless, I believe a transcendent player is one you look for on every play and one you look forward to watching. I look forward to watching LVE every time the Cowboys play. Not Zeke, not DLawrence, definitively not Dak. But LVE is who I look for.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You don't think our current coaches deserve some credit for prepping LVE and putting him in a position to succeed?
I speaking collectively, not just LVE. And it remains to be seen. Win a playoff game, get the NFC Championship and I may change my tune. :)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Urlacher had 22 career interceptions. 22! I don't know how much man-to-man coverage he did, but he was devastating dropping into his zone and reading the QB's eyes.

His 8 sacks during his rookie year were in fact his career high. He averaged about 3.5 over his career.

As his career progressed Urlacher did more damage in coverage in coverage than as a pass rusher.

Maybe Marinelli used him differently than Dick Jauron.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I was thinking this myself as well. I suspect we might see some of this occasionally.

Flipside of why Dallas might not use him that way:
Having LVE roam the middle of the field as such a sure tackler really limits opposing teams from getting many big gains. If you blitz him you lose that. He's almost like an intermediate space safety the way they use him now.
But if it turns out he good at it, doing it occasionally would be fantastic

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Urlacher was more physical, blitzed and attacked plays behind the line. LVE plays more sideline to sideline and drops in coverage. A lot is scheme difference but LVE isn’t the imposing physical force that Urlacher was (at least yet).

Urlacher was simply used differently by different coaches. Urlacher didn't blitz and rush the passer much under marinelli. His role was pretty much what LVE is doing right now.

triplets_93

Reaction score
4ec151c0794684378313d42c4176bdbb.jpg

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Urlacher played MIKE while LVE plays WILL in same Marinelli scheme.

The MIKE will rush the passer more than the WILL. And the WILL drops into coverage more plus accumulates more tackles due to being uncovered in this scheme.

windjc

Reaction score
A little too early to compare talent. Physically, they are very very similar. Urlacher had more experience in his rookie year. LVE was much greener. However, let's compare in 10 years, shall we?