Vander Esch

Klingo3034

Reaction score
Doubt he plays at 270 regardless and he is a lean 256lbs primarily due to his height and structure.

His coverage skills, height, length and closing speed are the primary reasons they like the player along with his athleticism with instincts.

He will play the Mike most likely can handle the run but is excellent in coverage.
They will conditioned his body more to NFL standards with couple more pounds of muscle. Maybe up to 265 to 270.

Last edited:

Cap12

Reaction score
I have a question - how are we going to use the player.

I'll openly admit that I have not seen any footage of him other than the various highlights films of draft prospects.

It's correct to say he was drafted for his athletic traits rather than to play a specific role?

He's a 6-4 256lb linebacker. Likely will end up c.270lbs in the pros - bigger than some DL players. I can see potential as a run stopper and a great foil for Barkley of the Giants.

However, the trend in the NFL is towards LBs with hybrid LB/SS skills - Jaylon is one. Smaller more mobile players who can cover slot receivers and pass catching speedy running backs.

I just dont see any 270lb player - no matter how great an athlete - being able to cover small speedy turn on a dime slots such as Edelman or RBs such as Kamara.

Can this guy play in the increasing number of situations where 2 x quick mobile LBs are needed? If so, he must be the greatest athlete of all time!
The kid was the best Zone coverage LB among all of the prospects. Mayock called him the best drop zone coverage LB prospect since Luke Keuckiley. Great size and speed for size (4.65 40 yard dash), big motor. Not a hitter, but has decent pop in his pads (and can improve that with improved technique). So, basically despite his size, he's that hybrid you describe, lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
"physically more talented perhaps, but he doesn't have the size to be an every down LB in our system. You don't want to spend a 1st round draft pick on a part time player.

He's 232 pounds. He could absolutely be an every down LB.

Stop. If you want to pimp LVE, great. But don't make up bizarre arguments to knock down the other possible options we had.

Cap12

Reaction score
He's 232 pounds. He could absolutely be an every down LB.

Stop. If you want to pimp LVE, great. But don't make up bizarre arguments to knock down the other possible options we had.

He doesn't have the strength and size to be an every down MLB and is nowhere near as polished as LVE in coverage. Dane projects him as a better 3-4 LB, so not a great scheme fit. Everybody loves Evans because he's a thumper, but in truth he like LVE is only a 1 year starter and LVE has better production in pass coverage with 4 career INts to Evans' ZERO.

exciter

Reaction score
You are right. But Lawrence has added, what, 25 pounds?
Think its closer to 20, but he's almost been relegated to the left side. To slow down Philly there going to need a rde to bring pressure from both sides, run stuffing Crawford's and ealys ain't gonna cut it long term and I don' even think the staff has clue what they got with charlton!

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Think its closer to 20, but he's almost been relegated to the left side. To slow down Philly there going to need a rde to bring pressure from both sides, run stuffing Crawford's and ealys ain't gonna cut it long term and I don' even think the staff has clue what they got with charlton!
I'm on the record saying I was for Landry so I don't think we're really arguing about anything meaningful. I think they need another dynamic pass rusher. I don't think that's Taco, but he could prove me wrong. More likely Taco is an 8-sack/season guy when it's said and done though.

Cap12

Reaction score
I'm on the record saying I was for Landry so I don't think we're really arguing about anything meaningful. I think they need another dynamic pass rusher. I don't think that's Taco, but he could prove me wrong. More likely Taco is an 8-sack/season guy when it's said and done though.

I'm not sure they need one, but they would like one. They need an impact LB and hopefully they got one.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, we can argue the pros and cons all day and half the night but the pick is in so all the rest is just sauce for the goose.

Honestly, I'm just kinda waiting for the moment when the fan base realizes that LVE is actually Thad from Blue Mountain State!

0f33994d890ffab26f3fe6e70124930a.jpeg

exciter

Reaction score
Were we arguing? Guess last season was more frustrating than most. Hell id take averaging 8 a season! Honestly don't really care about the sacks, just want that constant pressure forcing the ball out early like the eagles and Seattle lines!

Cap12

Reaction score
RoMac was the boss in 2014, like a purple people eater, I hope we draft another LB'er and Safety. LVE by all accounts is a good start to this draft.
So you're saying that Ro-Mac went from "purple people eater" to "purple drank drinker"? :D