Vander Esch

zerofill

Reaction score
I am just happy we went defense. I would have been angry if we picked a WR at 19. He seems to be a good LB. Watched a lot of video on him, and what they say, I feel is kind of true. He isn't as physical of a beast as you expect him to be for his size. But that may change... As long as we can keep descent players for depth on defense, our defense should actually be pretty good. I think we should snag a DT and an OT... after that... I am happy lol. They can get the rest of the WRs for all I care.

DanA

Reaction score
Lets hope he learns to use his hands to get off blocks. I’m fine with the rest of his game but that was a a major problem.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I disagree. Dak is going to have no where to go with the ball at this rate. Look for teams to load the box , stuff the short throws, and give Zeke fits again b/c we have nobody on the outside they need to worry about.
We’ll see. I think your wrong. Main issue is our Coaches on offense. Stop being so darn predictable with our passing scheme, and I think our receivers will be fine.

Cap12

Reaction score
We’ll see. I think your wrong. Main issue is our Coaches on offense. Stop being so darn predictable with our passing scheme, and I think our receivers will be fine.
Actually have Zeke on the field and block for him and we'll be fine.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
No way. Again, our LB Corps was an accident waiting to happen. We lost at least 3 or 4 games last season primarily because we couldn't stop the run.
When Lee was out our LBers were a train wreck and not in a good way. We needed LBers more than receivers and even with this pick, I still think we need LBers more than receivers.

zerofill

Reaction score
I disagree. Dak is going to have no where to go with the ball at this rate. Look for teams to load the box , stuff the short throws, and give Zeke fits again b/c we have nobody on the outside they need to worry about.

To be honest, my opinion is... he is going to have nowhere to go no matter who we have at WR, unless he has changed his game a lot. His superstar 2016 was based off short throws, Zeke, and being somewhat an unknown anomaly. Teams didn't know what to expect. The tape is in on Dak, and they did exactly what you said, They loaded the box, and took the short passes away last year. There were people open, but Dak didn't see them many times, and Dak can't throw a receiver open, and his accuracy takes a huge dive on the long balls because of his mechanics.

I like Dak the person, but I am very hard on Dak the player...

But honestly, if the coaches would quit forcing him to be a pocket passer he would be better off. The kid needs to move out of the pocket. He is best when he is not forcing himself to stay in the pocket. He is never going to be a pure pocket passer like they are hoping he will be. I just don't see it happening... However, when he is on the run, and doesn't have time to think about what might happen when he lets go of the ball... I think he is better. Forcing him to sit in that pocket, I have said before on DC forum, it looks like pure torture for him. He is not comfortable feeling like he has to become that pocket passer. Granted... history kind of tells us pocket passers last a very long time. Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Payton, etc... But if we are keeping Dak, let's play to his strengths, and standing in the pocket scanning the field, sensing pressure, evading pressure, is not his game. When he plays by the seat of his pants, has no time to think... he is better. I think we should also switch to a no huddle offense, make the game as fast as possible for him.

zerofill

Reaction score
Hope he is right.

Well let us hope he doesn't have a cough syrup mixed with alcohol addiction like Rolando. Because that guy is the one player that really irritates me on how great he could have been, and should have been.

But, that is what I have seen... looks like he has good instincts and can move well... just isn't as physical when he gets caught up in blocks.

vig454

Reaction score
I was all excited that the Cowboys had the option of getting Calvin Ridley and then SMACK! The entire family looks at me like *** happened? We turn off the tv and go drink some beer. :(

zerofill

Reaction score
I was all excited that the Cowboys had the option of getting Calvin Ridley and then SMACK! The entire family looks at me like *** happened? We turn off the tv and go drink some beer. :(
While I agree with picking defense over a WR... that was pretty funny lol.

Verdammung

Reaction score
Because Rod Marinelli coached him in Chicago, I looked up Brian Urlacher's measurables. The comparison is uncanny.

Leighton Vander Esch | Brian Urlacher
Height 6'4.25" 6'3.875"
Weight 256 lbs. 258 lbs.
Arms 33.875" 33"
Hands 9.75" 9.875"
40 Time 4.65s 4.57s
Bench 20 Reps 27 Reps
Vertical 39.5" 34"
Broad 124" 122"
3 Cone 6.88s 6.94s
20 Shuttle 4.15s 4.18s

Last edited: