Vandy Should Be Blamed, But What About Romo & His 2 Red Zone INTs?!?

itoldyouSOE

Reaction score
Alright, I post this with some trepidation because I am excited that the regular season is now upon us and think we are going to have a very good year. But if there is one thing I can't stand, its a double-standard.

Everyone is (rightfully) PO'ed at Vander-drunk. He missed 2 FGs that he should have made. Cost us the game. BUT WAIT!

Romo tossed 2 INTs! In the red zone, nonetheless. I don't care how good he did all game (snap over his head and all), if Romo doesn't make these mistakes, we win the game. Yet everyone is blaming this on Vanderjerk?

Last year, Bledsoe has us in the position to win numerous games (DEN, SEA, WAS) but missed FGs cost us the game. Yet I hear some people on this board blame him for the SEA loss because he tossed an INT which led to a SEA game-winning FG, when we never would have been in that position if Cortez does his job. So shouldn't these same people blame Romo for taking points away from us last night? Nevermind that he couldn't get it into the end zone on those 2 tries, tossing 2 INTs like that takes away points. If he is able to close the deal, no OT and no missed FGs. And wasn't Romo playing against second teamers for most of the night? But I can hear the Romo-man-lovers excuses now: When Romo throws a pick, its the receivers' fault 'cause they didn't run their proper route. When Bledsoe does it, its all his fault. Right.

Romo looked good on many occassions. But a 1 TD to 2 INT ratio equates to a lot of fancy plays resulting in a lot of empty yards. Bledsoe is and will be our starter this year. I'm glad Romo is here as he appears to be a comptent back up. But that's what he is, a back up. Case closed.

Regardless of last night's game, Sept. 10th can't get here fast enough. Go Cowboys!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thankyou Mrs. Bledsoe...but I assure you, we've not forgotton your son;)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Although it is plain to see that you posted this with a clear motive in mind, you do have a slight point.

Romo made enough poor decisions tonight to show why he not quite ready to lead this football team. Gunslinger or not, he turned the ball over in the redzone. You cannot do that and win in the NFL.

ravidubey

Reaction score
There's no "blame" yet, it's preseason. What no one likes to see is our defense struggle to contain Brad Johnson or our offensive line alternate between acting like a sieve and tissue paper. Against the tougher 4-3 defenses our team will have to pass to set up the run.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Agreed. Romo does some good stuff, but throwing into double coverage wasn't real smart and is one reason he'll be a back up a while longer. Throwing a jump ball to Owens is one thing....to Copper is quite another.

I was pretty disappointed in Vandy...I thought he corrected the "push right" thing. He went through that in camp and said he figured it out. Guess not. Not worried, but I would have liked to see that famous consistency.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
It is worth remembering that one of those interceptions was on Crayton.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Although it is plain to see that you posted this with a clear motive in mind, you do have a slight point.

Romo made enough poor decisions tonight to show why he not quite ready to lead this football team. Gunslinger or not, he turned the ball over in the redzone. You cannot do that and win in the NFL.

agreed ya can't turn it over like that..he has to get that tightened up

wileedog

Reaction score
You do know that Bledsoe had a red zone INT too, right?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
And what about Everybody's All American, Sam Hurd, dropping an easy TD catch that hit him right in the hands. And what about Crayton showing a bad case of Pinkston-itis pulling up on his route.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I do hold Romo accountable. I also hold Bledsoe accountable. That was a horrible int in the red zone by Drew. I don't blame Vandy for not winning the game. It takes a whole team to win. I hold it against him that he missed twice. Unacceptable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
itoldyouSOE said:
Alright, I post this with some trepidation because I am excited that the regular season is now upon us and think we are going to have a very good year. But if there is one thing I can't stand, its a double-standard.

Everyone is (rightfully) PO'ed at Vander-drunk. He missed 2 FGs that he should have made. Cost us the game. BUT WAIT!

Romo tossed 2 INTs! In the red zone, nonetheless. I don't care how good he did all game (snap over his head and all), if Romo doesn't make these mistakes, we win the game. Yet everyone is blaming this on Vanderjerk?

Last year, Bledsoe has us in the position to win numerous games (DEN, SEA, WAS) but missed FGs cost us the game. Yet I hear some people on this board blame him for the SEA loss because he tossed an INT which led to a SEA game-winning FG, when we never would have been in that position if Cortez does his job. So shouldn't these same people blame Romo for taking points away from us last night? Nevermind that he couldn't get it into the end zone on those 2 tries, tossing 2 INTs like that takes away points. If he is able to close the deal, no OT and no missed FGs. And wasn't Romo playing against second teamers for most of the night? But I can hear the Romo-man-lovers excuses now: When Romo throws a pick, its the receivers' fault 'cause they didn't run their proper route. When Bledsoe does it, its all his fault. Right.

Romo looked good on many occassions. But a 1 TD to 2 INT ratio equates to a lot of fancy plays resulting in a lot of empty yards. Bledsoe is and will be our starter this year. I'm glad Romo is here as he appears to be a comptent back up. But that's what he is, a back up. Case closed.

Regardless of last night's game, Sept. 10th can't get here fast enough. Go Cowboys!

No doubt Romo made some mistakes lastnight, hate to tell you no one is perfect not even Romo. As for Vandy he has been kicking poor in practice and has shown no signs of being the so called most accurate kicker in history. All in all the team looked sluggish all night long with missed blocks, missed tackles and other mental mistakes. The team gave Bill a reason to jump them this week leading up to Jacksonville

itoldyouSOE

Reaction score
Alexander said:

I admit I favor Bledsoe over Romo so in that regard I am biased, just as some of the Romo supporters on here have their own bias. But I'll admit when Drew makes bad plays, a sack is his fault, etc. It seems every time Romo makes a mistake, there is always some excuse for him. And it almost seems like a few people here are cheering against Bledsoe (at the cost of the entire team) so they can see if Romo could really be a starter, like they told us he could be weeks ago.

I am a Bledsoe fan but I honestly believe Drew gives us the best chance to win. He may get sacked more than Romo, but when was the last time a scrambling QB like Vick or McNabb won a Super Bowl?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
On Romo's first INT the receiver was supposed to be in the spot where he threw the ball. Crayton did not run the route properly and it was very plain to see. But the second one was squarely on Romo; he needed to get set and get some zip on the ball to make that throw and he tried to throw it on the run.

Romo has a strong arm and can throw on the move about as well as anyone I can remember. But last night he tried to make two throws that he should not have tried; the one over the middle into traffic that he was lucky that it did not get picked and the second one that did get picked in the end zone. After both throws I started looking to see if they had let Crankcase back on the field.

It was not just Romo who was out of sync last night it was the whole team; they just did not look sharp. Of course part of that was that Minn was a better team than we have faced before but there was just a lot of confusion on the field. Things just didn't look right. But I'm glad they got that out of their systems before the Jax game. They will have 10 days to fix it and this game gave BP plenty of ammunition to lay into the team with this week.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
No doubt Romo made some mistakes lastnight, hate to tell you no one is perfect not even Romo. As for Vandy he has been kicking poor in practice and has shown no signs of being the so called most accurate kicker in history. All in all the team looked sluggish all night long with missed blocks, missed tackles and other mental mistakes. The team gave Bill a reason to jump them this week leading up to Jacksonville

When Romo has 24 regular season games under his belt, I will form an opinion. Much like the one I have already formed of Bledsoe, which is, he's toast behind the current OL.

Vanderjerk just needs to go...now.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I'm not sure Bledsoe knew what Texas was at that point.

Yup, and not only that but they showed a replay and his arm was hit when he threw it, which is why it came out the way it did.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Romo should be starting. He is a leader and has the backing of the team. He will only get better as he plays. drew is a nice QB, but a statue with an unimpressive OL is not a good way to go.

joseephuss

Reaction score
itoldyouSOE said:
I admit I favor Bledsoe over Romo so in that regard I am biased, just as some of the Romo supporters on here have their own bias. But I'll admit when Drew makes bad plays, a sack is his fault, etc. It seems every time Romo makes a mistake, there is always some excuse for him. And it almost seems like a few people here are cheering against Bledsoe (at the cost of the entire team) so they can see if Romo could really be a starter, like they told us he could be weeks ago.

I am a Bledsoe fan but I honestly believe Drew gives us the best chance to win. He may get sacked more than Romo, but when was the last time a scrambling QB like Vick or McNabb won a Super Bowl?

What does Vick or McNabb have to do with Bledsoe or Romo? I haven't seen a QB as slow and immobile as Bledsoe ever win a SB either. I do think Bledsoe is currently the Cowboy's best option at QB. That doesn't mean I think he is a great option. He is what he is and right now the O-line is what it is. It is going to be a tough battle to win and win in the post season.

superpunk

Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
Yup, and not only that but they showed a replay and his arm was hit when he threw it, which is why it came out the way it did.

That was just a bizarre, awful play, in which Bledsoe obviously had no idea what was going on. From the screwy "hand-off" to the weird pirouette, to the throw to noone in particular - it was obvious Bledsoe was not all there.