Vela: Cowboys Nation Old School Saturday - CowboysCamp Day 3

RS12

Reaction score
— TE battles. It’s very early, but right now Gavin Escobar is running as the second tight end. When the first offensive unit was in the 12 package, with two tight ends, Escobar was the on-the-line Y, while Jason Witten was the move tight end F-back. When the second unit took the field, James Hanna manned the Y role while Escobar shifted into Witten’s role as the F. Escobar also did a lot of flexing into the slot when he worked as the one tight end in the 11, three receiver package.

— Another strong day at the office for Morris Claiborne. The tight press lessons have taken. He made one of the standout defensive plays in the final split 6-on-6 drill when he undercut a Terence WIlliams in-route, and dove across Williams’ body to make a lunging interception inches above the turf. He appears a lot more confortable with his hand usage. Unlike 2014 where he looked tentative, he’s much more confident riding receivers up the field with his hands in cover-3. His overall awareness appears much better. He’s the most aware corner on the team, meaning he can find a ball in the air better than any of his peers and is better able to make a play on a ball in the air than any other Cowboys corner.

— Randy Gregory needed Charles Haley’s tutorial and will need more because at this point, he’s a one-move rusher, that move being a hard charge around the edge. He had problems getting an effective get off early in the session, but recovered with some strong bursts later, beating a 3rd team OT for a sack.

— Conversely, 2nd year left end Demarcus Lawrence is miles ahead of his rookie pace. Those eye-popping and ear-popping drill performances carried over to real pad play. He beat Doug Free with an inside-outside rip move for a sack. This is a move he would not have made last summer.

— Another youngster making a jump is 3rd year flanker Terence Williams. He’s become much better at beating jams on the line, beating press coverage coming out of his breaks and runs much tighter routes than we’ve seen in the past. He’s always had deep speed, but he was creating separation regularly with technique today. He beat Brandon Carr regularly and gave Orlando Scandrick fits.

http://cowboyszone.com/2015/08/old-...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

yimyammer

Reaction score
Ugh.....

Starting weakside LB Sean Lee spent a day working on the bands with the trainers. Lee has been favoring an muscle issue that may be a groin strain. Whatever the problem, he’s looking like a player “with a dog that’s barking” that he’s been forced to acknowledge. That said, he should be back in action soon.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Im not a fan of Mo Claiborne. But I can't but help cheer for him. If he turns out to be a solid contributor this year this defense is gonna rock.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Good to read that about Claiborne. I hope he fights through and becomes a very good player.

If he gets all the way through training camp for the first time and has a good season then I think we'll have figured out his problem.

We need this guy to step up.. It would be huge for this team.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If he gets all the way through training camp for the first time and has a good season then I think we'll have figured out his problem.

We need this guy to step up.. It would be huge for this team.

Can you imagine if he locks down the outside corner so well that Byron is put at safety to compete with Wilcox. Whoo I would love it!!!

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Lee already hurt..... LB is going to kill us I have a feeling. How this team is going to be able to stop Chips motion out of backfield I have no idea.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Lee already hurt..... LB is going to kill us I have a feeling. How this team is going to be able to stop Chips motion out of backfield I have no idea.

Sounds like a strain, probably to much lateral movement trying to get back to 100% and still has physical or mental hitch in his motion.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Even though it sounds relatively minor, Lee nursing an injury is not good at all

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TE battles. It’s very early, but right now Gavin Escobar is running as the second tight end. When the first offensive unit was in the 12 package, with two tight ends, Escobar was the on-the-line Y, while Jason Witten was the move tight end F-back. When the second unit took the field, James Hanna manned the Y role while Escobar shifted into Witten’s role as the F. Escobar also did a lot of flexing into the slot when he worked as the one tight end in the 11, three receiver package.

Interesting and good news frankly.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you imagine if he locks down the outside corner so well that Byron is put at safety to compete with Wilcox. Whoo I would love it!!!

Would be great. But I can see Jones being the FS and Wilcox competes or rotates with Church as SS. I think Stephen Jones even said this early in the year, on his conference call with season ticket holders.

He said Wilcox and Church are same type of players, physical and love to hit. Can play up in the box more with Jones eventually as a true FS. All that depends on Mo and how he performs too.

Next Friday, the 7th, Jason Garrett has his conference call with STH's. That may be a good question for him. If Mo keeps looking good, I will try to get that question in.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Even though it sounds relatively minor, Lee nursing an injury is not good at all

It's early yet and he's probably somewhat out of shape. Let's hope he overcomes that groin pull, if that's it.
They can often be pretty nagging issues, though. In his absence, it just gives more reps to the youngsters.

sbark

Reaction score
It might be mo, patmon and maybe white that shake up the secondary, with Wilcox moved toward the ss and Jones at fs. Just a lot of serviceable corners all of a sudden....unless that forces a issue with Carr.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Interesting how these guys can work to rehab, do really tough looking drills, and the get hurt this early in camp.

Must be too much adrenaline flowing that cause them to tense up and pull/strain/tear something....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Marinelli said Lee's being held out was purely precautionary and not him nursing an injury.

Primetime42

Reaction score
— Another strong day at the office for Morris Claiborne. The tight press lessons have taken. He made one of the standout defensive plays in the final split 6-on-6 drill when he undercut a Terence WIlliams in-route, and dove across Williams’ body to make a lunging interception inches above the turf. He appears a lot more confortable with his hand usage. Unlike 2014 where he looked tentative, he’s much more confident riding receivers up the field with his hands in cover-3. His overall awareness appears much better. He’s the most aware corner on the team, meaning he can find a ball in the air better than any of his peers and is better able to make a play on a ball in the air than any other Cowboys corner.
Man, if he could just put it all together...

dallasdave

Reaction score
Interesting how these guys can work to rehab, do really tough looking drills, and the get hurt this early in camp.

Must be too much adrenaline flowing that cause them to tense up and pull/strain/tear something....

Yeah, just hope no star players get hurt this year. Last year Lee was a big loss !!!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Good to read that about Claiborne. I hope he fights through and becomes a very good player.

I hope he plays well also, but I think the ship has sailed on him being here long term. If he plays well, some team will pay him starter money, and we are unlikely to do so.