VIDEO COMPARISON: The Phillips 3-4 vs The Parcells 3-4

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
dogberry;1503544 said:
Adbutcher, I'm curious which is the only team to run a "counter trey offense." Thanks in advance, Kent

I could be wrong but I think the skinz are the only team that consistently uses it in their play book. Also what I was alluding to when I said counter trey, is the use of misdirection to exploit when a defense relies on their DL getting up field on the snap of the ball.

TEK2000

Reaction score
superpunk;1503538 said:
that's not what I'm trying to do at all, man. You're either good at making that transition or you're not. I can see where you guys are going with the opportunities and scheme things, but that's not the original line of thinking.

If Ware notches 18 sacks next year, is it because he became an infinitely better pass-rusher, or is it because he got more opportunities in a defense that blitzed twice as much as we did last year?

The scheme might make a player look better, because it puts him in a better position to make a highlight play, or gives him more opportunities to make a straightforward play rather than a read and react play, but it's not going to make the players any better at doing a thing. Our defensive linemen made that transition poorly. It is not an impossible situation for them, even though it may not have been ideal. But no amount of blustering changes the fact that they did what was asked of them poorly. The scheme can be criticized to no end - and so can their performance in it.

This all goes back to fitting the scheme to the players' skills. If a players' skills don't suit what is being asked of them, then they are going to have a much lower success level. Some players can still do well in Parcells' scheme... but obviously Marcus Spears was not one of them. I'm just hoping that Wade's scheme will suit Spears much better so he can be a quality player for us.

Putting Roy Williams in coverage 95+% of the time is not a scheme that fits his skill set. (though the coaches were forced to do that because of the lack of skills by teammates)

Its like asking Dirk Nowitzki to play basketball exactly like Tim Duncan does... its just not going to work for him.

TEK2000

Reaction score
superpunk;1503551 said:
You still don't get it. You're either good at a thing, or you're not.

They aren't.

The run/pass transition is VERY VERY different from the 1 gap system and the 2 gap system.

1 gap, you're already shaded to 1 side of the olineman normally and you're only concern is 1 gap. In 2 gap, you've got to account for BOTH sides of the offensivelineman that is blocking you... so you have to engage the offensive lineman HEAD ON and THEN try to get around him.

You've got to be an absolutely physically dominant player in the 2 gap system. You can get by with good moves, agility, and technique in the 1 gap system.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
ENGCowboy;1502391 said:
I thought the DL vs the run showed the most difference you can tell that all 3 down linemen are playing 2 gaps because the hit the line and stop so they can watch where the play develops to, this allowed Tiki to bump the play outside, something that seemed to happen a lot last season esp down the stretch. The Chargers didnt have to do this they just make the play come to them by breaking the line and getting after the runner, this means the OLB can still play a 2 gap and be responsible for the outside run but not have to be the main tackler on the play.

With pass rush it just seems Wades scheme is more team based, this guy will slant this way to create a bigger hole for tis other guy to get to the QB doesnt matter who it s but he designs holes in the OL more than blitzes and then sticks a rusher in the hole. BP's scheme said heres where I want you to rush beat the man infront of you and get to the QB so even if the player does beat his opposite man it has taken longer and the QB has already thrown the ball. We had pass rush last year it was just too slow because it relied solely on individual skill(why Ware excelled) to get to the QB not a team approach.

Thats a really good way to look at the difference between the two. Excellent point.