VIDEO COMPARISON: The Phillips 3-4 vs The Parcells 3-4

TEK2000

Reaction score
I put up a page on my site showing what I have posted elsewhere.

You can go to the page directly by clicking HERE
You can also find it under the "2007 Clips" at www.cowboysvids.com

Basically, its 2 videos.
1 video shows 4 plays from the Chargers 2006 defense
Another video shows 4 plays from the Cowboys 2006 defense.
(they are flash videos and will play directly in the webpage... no downloading necessary)

I go through a brief description of how different things are done in each defense on the different plays. Specifically, its focusing on the different blitzing and attacking styles of the Front 7 defenders.

If you haven't seen any of Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense and are curious to see what kind of stuff the 2007 Cowboys defense will be doing... YOU MUST SEE THIS!!!

I hope everyone enjoys it and I welcome any discussion about any of it.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
Excellent analysis!! Very much appreciated..thanks!! I can not wait for this season to start!!

JFlgn

Reaction score
There are so many great things in these 8 plays. Just a few quickies that I'd like to point out.

Chargers - Play #3
Imagine a center trying to block DeMarcus Ware. HAHAHA. That center is toast, as is the QB.

Cowboys - Play #1
Yes, it's easy to concentrate on the bad: Absolutely no pass rush against the 6 blockers. However, McNabb had nobody to throw to until Westbrook stopped blocking and ran the route. The secondary had LJ Smith and the Eagles nameless receivers covered so much so that McNabb had to take the dumpoff. He obviously had time to let routes develop, but the Boys secondary had it on lockdown that he had to take the Westbrook dumpoff.

Cowboys - Play #3
Jay Ratliff beat Saturday, a pro bowl center on a championship team. He's a guy who was lauded for making one of the bigger blocks of the AFC Championship so Addai could get into the end zone. All that said, Jay Ratliff, our SECOND STRING d end just embarrassed the guy in our nickel rush. If that's the type of pass rushing ability we have from our second string guys, just imagine what our first string will do when allowed to go forward instead of hold the line.

BRING ON THE SEASON!!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
JFlgn;1502348 said:
Cowboys - Play #1
Yes, it's easy to concentrate on the bad: Absolutely no pass rush against the 6 blockers. However, McNabb had nobody to throw to until Westbrook stopped blocking and ran the route. The secondary had LJ Smith and the Eagles nameless receivers covered so much so that McNabb had to take the dumpoff. He obviously had time to let routes develop, but the Boys secondary had it on lockdown that he had to take the Westbrook dumpoff.
Another way to look at this play is, if you continually let the QB have the time to comfortably look thru his reads, eventually you will take a dagger right through the gut.
You just can't let the QB be that comfortable, even if your secondary is locking things down, because eventually you can figure out a way to get the ball one on one with a weak defender and give up a big play.

BTW, love your work TEK.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
Most excellent Tek..............you have my appreciation

Hoofbite

Reaction score
good work TEK. Very good illustation of what can be expected coming up.

ENGCowboy

Reaction score
I thought the DL vs the run showed the most difference you can tell that all 3 down linemen are playing 2 gaps because the hit the line and stop so they can watch where the play develops to, this allowed Tiki to bump the play outside, something that seemed to happen a lot last season esp down the stretch. The Chargers didnt have to do this they just make the play come to them by breaking the line and getting after the runner, this means the OLB can still play a 2 gap and be responsible for the outside run but not have to be the main tackler on the play.

With pass rush it just seems Wades scheme is more team based, this guy will slant this way to create a bigger hole for tis other guy to get to the QB doesnt matter who it s but he designs holes in the OL more than blitzes and then sticks a rusher in the hole. BP's scheme said heres where I want you to rush beat the man infront of you and get to the QB so even if the player does beat his opposite man it has taken longer and the QB has already thrown the ball. We had pass rush last year it was just too slow because it relied solely on individual skill(why Ware excelled) to get to the QB not a team approach.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Great work TEK, you have confirmed what I've been saying all along.

Man, I can't wait for this season to start!

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Nice job!! That was a little painful to watch the difference in how the 3-4 was used with San Diego against our own woeful 3-4.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
But... But... This doesn't jibe with the idea that our guys didn't produce more only because they were weak-minded whiney babies...

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think we all know how painfully obvious it was where our blitz was coming from. I know everytime I saw Newman crowd the line, we were gonna get toasted.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
That is some good stuff TEK! Amazing analysis! Thanks very much...

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The defense's inability to time and/or disguise their blitzes is what frustrated me the most. And we also almost always blitzed right up the gut. Because the timing and disguise was poor, teams could just make another line call and pinch the O-Line together and not have to worry about the pass rush.

YAKUZA

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1502657 said:
The defense's inability to time and/or disguise their blitzes is what frustrated me the most. And we also almost always blitzed right up the gut. Because the timing and disguise was poor, teams could just make another line call and pinch the O-Line together and not have to worry about the pass rush.

YAKUZA
Not only did we always come right up the gut, but we also timed it almost exactly the same each time. It was the most generic thing I have ever seen.

Oh yeah, and if I never see us run up the middle on 3rd and long after an incomplete pass on 2nd down ever again, it will be too soon.