Video: Dukes vs Doug Free: The Video Evidence

Mansta54

Reaction score
nflandbooze;3456589 said:
Per internet message board rules, we are supposed to fight now, not be civil. :chop:

:beer2:

Alright then put up your DUKES.. Oops, did I say DUKES?? :D

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Everyone is asking if I Tweeted to Dukes.

I figured I would let it breath as much as possible and hopefully let the fans see it before he actually knows it's out there.

Why?

I got a feeling he's going to have the folks at NFLN send in a complaint to Youtube and then the vid will be removed.

firehawk350

Reaction score
dcfanatic;3456632 said:
Everyone is asking if I Tweeted to Dukes.

I figured I would let it breath as much as possible and hopefully let the fans see it before he actually knows it's out there.

Why?

I got a feeling he's going to have the folks at NFLN send in a complaint to Youtube and then the vid will be removed.

Regardless of the reason Jamie Dukes has it removed (which I'm sure won't be out of fairness), the game video is copyrighted. I personally would LOVE to find all the Skins games on DVD (maybe not this season though) but I'm willing to bet it would be a NIGHTMARE to coordinate to ESPN, NFL Network, NBC, Fox and CBS all release their game footage. Not to mention whatever copyright license the NFL has on it. That's just from a copyright standpoint though, like I said, I think (if he does at all) Jamie Dukes would do it out of spite. However, you are one of a hundred million fans and Jamie Dukes is the host of a well watched show, so I'm not sure he may necessarily feel the desire to respond to you or even watch the video.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Anyone who watched the game knows it was Ray Edwards on Marc Columbo that gave us fits.

firehawk350

Reaction score
I watched the video and I see your point. It wasn't like he was abused the entire game. He did have a lot of help in the form of double teams and chips from Witten. A lot of the pass routes were three step drops as well, so I think (and this isn't a knock on Free so much as the entire OL) the Cowboys had to use quick passes the entire game because Romo was so harrassed. I also didn't like the idea of using a win or lose type of grading system because it's so subjective. Overall, I think Free did okay and like somebody said, it wasn't like he was a turnstile and Allen is a good player.

nflandbooze

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;3456647 said:
Anyone who watched the game knows it was Ray Edwards on Marc Columbo that gave us fits.

Well I think that was ultimately the more problematic area after the initial storm on the other side. I've been trying to forget the game for obvious reasons, but I wanna say that the Vikes were having some success with twists out there as Marc's legs looked like they were in quicksand, and Davis didn't appear to be ready for it, more than once.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
To Dukes' credit Free had trouble early on with the speed rush but after the initial butterflies Doug FREAK settled in well at LT.

You'd expect some adjustment from anyone who was playing RT the previous week.

In the end you still have to worry about the premier speed rushers in the league vs most LTs and Free is not the exception to that rule.

thx for the vid....:bow:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Free looked ok when run blocking in that video but he was getting whooped in pass protection when facing Allen. Allen was breathing down Romo's neck within 2 seconds of every snap that was a pass when Free was blocking him. Free couldn't block Allen until the 4th quarter but by then the damage was already done.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Rampage;3456688 said:
Free looked ok when run blocking in that video but he was getting whooped in pass protection when facing Allen. Allen was breathing down Romo's neck within 2 seconds of every snap that was a pass when Free was blocking him. Free couldn't block Allen until the 4th quarter but by then the damage was already done.

You just watched said video?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Rampage;3456688 said:
Well you are obviously not a scout.

brucekr

Reaction score
First I'd watched of that game since we got beat down, and that was a good job of breaking Free's peformance down. Nice work. Changed my perspective considerably.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
On that first run, it looked like Dallas had that play blocked good, but Witten appeared to miss his block. That delayed draw to Felix could have been a big one.

I saw the counter left to Felix Jones in there. Gurode and Davis didn't get it done, and the play was stopped before Felix could get past the line of scrimmage. Gurode totally let his guy get away and crash down the line. Davis didn't block the defender coming free. That could have been a big one, too.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
This is the best work I've ever seen out of DCFanatic. I wish there was some way Dukes could see this.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;3456688 said:

Dude. Jared Allen is one of the best in the game.

He's not going to be pancaked by Free on every play. There are going to be times when he wins the battle because he's a great player.

The job done by Free in here is good. Not great and not piss poor. The point is that someone who speaks to a gazillion viewers was constantly saying every chance he got that Free's play was piss poor.

And there are plenty of plays in there where Allen gets near the pocket, but if there aren't other guys coming right up the middle Romo would just take a step up and make a play. The problem was all around Romo there were bullets flying.

But in the overall scheme of things Free was far from the guy who should be blasted on a consistent basis for what he did in this game. Especially by some blow hard ex NFL OL who couldn't block Jared Allen on his best day.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;3456734 said:
On that first run, it looked like Dallas had that play blocked good, but Witten appeared to miss his block. That delayed draw to Felix could have been a big one.

I saw the counter left to Felix Jones in there. Gurode and Davis didn't get it done, and the play was stopped before Felix could get past the line of scrimmage. Gurode totally let his guy get away and crash down the line. Davis didn't block the defender coming free. That could have been a big one, too.

It almost seemed like the OL as a whole was on their heels as soon as they heard Flozell was on the sidelines. None of the interior lineman seemed to get a feel for when the Vikings would overload the middle with pressure.

I would say by the beginning of the third quarter Romo was in 'one eye on the rush and one on his options'. But I don't blame him because had he not been he might have taken a ton more hits and fumbled while doing so. It was rare to see any plays in there where Romo looks to set up comfortably in the pocket and oversee the field.

I think Reality made the point earlier that when we failed on those first few drives the offense as a whole lost confidence. Even the WR's didn't look good in going after passes. The only one who didn't look defeated from play to play was Felix.

30yrheel

Reaction score
and some people still blame romo for losing. our offensive line sucked, it was a jailbreak every play.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Common sense could tell you that Doug Free isn't all that bad. Why? Because the Cowboys would've kept Flozell if they didn't like Doug Free, who played a lot last year when Colombo went down. If they thought Free was a joke or never was going to make it, they would've just kept Flozell. No salary cap to worry about this year, remember?

But, I want opposing teams to think that Doug Free sucks. I personally have a ton of confidence in him and I'd be shocked if Barron becomes the starter, barring injury. I think Barron was noticeably set to be the backup...the entire world could read into that if they just looked at what the Cowboys have been doing and saying about Doug Free.

Expecting these media guys to really watch film is passe these days. It's all about soundbytes, guessing you are right and reporting it as fact just so you can say you were right before everybody else and whatever nonsense the sports media calls journalism these days.

I don't know, but I think if producers and editors held these guys a bit more accountable they would have better papers, magazines and TV shows and more people would read, buy and watch their stuff.

YR

jnday

Reaction score
Rampage;3456688 said:

I agree..... Seems like Free was taking too sharp an angle when dropping back in pass protection. Jared Allen was taking a route that put him close to Romo on most of the pass plays. Free was giving too much ground before engaging Allen. With that being said, Free improved as the game went on . Romo could not step up in the pocket because of the pressure coming from the middle. Free done a better job than Dukes gave him credit for, but not quite as good as DC gave him. Free will be much better after playing the position in training camp and preseason. Free should prove Dukes wrong as the season goes on and Free settles in on the left side . Just my 2 cents........

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3456751 said:
Common sense could tell you that Doug Free isn't all that bad. Why? Because the Cowboys would've kept Flozell if they didn't like Doug Free, who played a lot last year when Colombo went down. If they thought Free was a joke or never was going to make it, they would've just kept Flozell. No salary cap to worry about this year, remember?

But, I want opposing teams to think that Doug Free sucks. I personally have a ton of confidence in him and I'd be shocked if Barron becomes the starter, barring injury. I think Barron was noticeably set to be the backup...the entire world could read into that if they just looked at what the Cowboys have been doing and saying about Doug Free.

Expecting these media guys to really watch film is passe these days. It's all about soundbytes, guessing you are right and reporting it as fact just so you can say you were right before everybody else and whatever nonsense the sports media calls journalism these days.

jnday;3456753 said:
I agree..... Seems like Free was taking too sharp an angle when dropping back in pass protection. Jared Allen was taking a route that put him close to Romo on most of the pass plays. Free was giving too much ground before engaging Allen. With that being said, Free improved as the game went on . Romo could not step up in the pocket because of the pressure coming from the middle. Free done a better job than Dukes gave him credit for, but not quite as good as DC gave him. Free will be much better after playing the position in training camp and preseason. Free should prove Dukes wrong as the season goes on and Free settles in on the left side . Just my 2 cents........

:hammer::hammer:
These are two very accurate posts.

I don't know, but I think if producers and editors held these guys a bit more accountable they would have better papers, magazines and TV shows and more people would read, buy and watch their stuff.
YR

Guess it's that same "bad News sells" type theory that you see from every News site, if you make people believe that someone else has it worse than they do, then it gets the ratings.

:eeeek:

Eskimo

Reaction score
Free was okay considering the circumstances.

You have to factor in the noise, Jared Allen, the inside pressure and the fact we were playing from behind when you analyze his play.

I do think he'll be better this year with the opportunity to work on his LT footwork fulltime and get used to working with Kosier instead of Bigg.

One thing which I think Romo/Gurode/OC need to work on is snap cadence and getting to the line quicker as I feel we are too rushed and let the DL anticipate/guess the snap too much. It is a small thing but I think we are giving the defense an advantage there.