Video: Dukes vs Doug Free: The Video Evidence

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Reality;3456446 said:
The reason we lost to the Vikings is we did not score on those early drives and their defense was both fast and well prepared for our offense. On many plays it looked like they knew exactly what we were doing before we even did.

Brett Favre played one of the best games of his career and the Vikings defense was inspired and impressive that day. We just ran into a perfect storm and got beat.

I look at it like this .. we got beat badly to end the 2008 season and we came back the next year and owned that team that beat us. I look forward to doing the same this year with the Vikings :D

-Reality

Momentum took over once we couldn't score on any of those early drives.

We were awesome out the gate but couldn't finish. Once they scored they cranked up their pass rush and there was nothing we could do.

Marktui

Reaction score
Hahahaa...yeah, you made some good points there. I played OL and there is nothing worse than a defensive end teeing off on the pass. Jared Allen is just an up the field DE. He will sacrifice the run, so he can get up field to rush the passer.

A lot of things was going against Free that day, playing LT after playing the last 8 weeks playing RT. Cowboys playing from behind and basically had to scrap the running game. Crowd noise and that Viking front 4 is really good.

You could see Free basically back pedaling as fast as he could so that he would not get beat, but when you do that all Allen has to do is use Free's momentum to bull rush or spin move off of that to get by him.

I will give Free the benefit of the doubt. Training camp and preseason games playing LT, reps against Dware in practice and hopefully he does fine.

As far as slow legged, hmmmm, he seems like he has good feet to me, he has better feet than Flo at this point in his career. I really want to know how much film Dukes watches before he makes these statements.

Marktui

Reaction score
One more note, I remember a rookie lineman getting abused by Reggie White on National TV and then becoming one of the best OL in history ;-)

Im not saying Free will be a HOF OL, but guys can have bad games and get better.....

nflandbooze

Reaction score
Eh, I don't think he hates Dallas. I think that a lot of these guys have a "shut up and show me" attitude when it comes to the Cowboys. I mean, the Boys have supposedly been Super Bowl bound since 2007, yet they only have a Wild Card win to show for it. Furthermore, in reality, nobody knows what the future holds for Free and the Cowboys. He might be great, he might be okay, or he might suck. There is no video of the upcoming season, so we don't really know what he'll be. With that being the case, I think it's fair to be skeptical, just like it's fair to be optimistic. Despite what some believe, we're dealing with an unknown here, which leaves room for interpretation.

Mansta54

Reaction score
nflandbooze;3456476 said:
Eh, I don't think he hates Dallas. I think that a lot of these guys have a "shut up and show me" attitude when it comes to the Cowboys. I mean, the Boys have supposedly been Super Bowl bound since 2007, yet they only have a Wild Card win to show for it. Furthermore, in reality, nobody knows what the future holds for Free and the Cowboys. He might be great, he might be okay, or he might suck. There is no video of the upcoming season, so we don't really know what he'll be. With that being the case, I think it's fair to be skeptical, just like it's fair to be optimistic. Despite what some believe, we're dealing with an unknown here, which leaves room for interpretation.

Sorry dude but this isn't what the debate is about. It's about Free getting dominated and abused in the Minn game by Allen. It didn't happen!! That's DC point and he did a helluva job of proving it...

groo

Reaction score
STAR GAZER;3456404 said:
I rarely buy anything Dukes is selling.

Sometimes I wonder which came first, his pedigree as a football player or as a mediot.

I realize that you often have to throw your football awareness out the window in order to play the media spin, but Dukes takes it to a new level.

I used to watch NFL Total Access all the time. Still like Rich Eisen but I don't watch that show anymore because of mediots like Dukes and Rod Woodson. They've stooped down to BSPN level.

Mansta54

Reaction score
DC, hats off to you man. Outstanding job of breaking that down, I've been preaching this to the cats who don't know any better. Great work and thx for posting... :clap2:

J-DOG

Reaction score
I think when Free was thrown into the left tackle spot in this game he was rusty in his technique and it showed early.
But I agree with DC...Free made adjustments and was fine for the rest of the game. He wasn't a liability at all.
Bottom line...I trust what Sparano and Hudson Hawk have said about Free more than what Dukes has said. Both have been on record that Free has the feet and technique to be a good left tackle.
We got smoked in Minnesota...Flozell got hurt...Free came in for Flozell.
Perception is not reality....Dukes needs to understand the difference.
Give Free a whole offseason,minicamp and training camp to hone his skills at this position and we may have not a good left tackle..... but maybe a great one.

nflandbooze

Reaction score
Mansta54;3456478 said:
Sorry dude but this isn't what the debate is about. It's about Free getting dominated and abused in the Minn game by Allen. It didn't happen!! That's DC point and he did a helluva job of proving it...

Lol. Don't take my word for it. Read the entire OP in this thread. Near th end, you'll find this:

Jamie Dukes hates the Cowboys

While the OP was referring to a specific performance in a specific game, he didn't exactly go out of his way to hide the undertone of it all.

I'm not saying Dukes was on the money with his critique, but when you introduce a suggestion that the guy hates Dallas, you better be open to having that suggestion debated as well.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3456313 said:
Dukes vs Doug Free: The Video Evidence

For some time now Jamie Dukes has been railing on Doug Free about his performance in the Vikings playoff game and I just couldn't take it anymore...

[youtube]ebETcAaly4Y[/youtube]

I am not saying Free looked like Johnathan Ogden in the game, but he surely didn't look like Rob Petitti.

If you hadn't seen this game or you weren't a fan of the Cowboys you would think Free just flat stinks and that Jared Allen was abusing him play after play. It's just simply not the case. Free had a few plays where Allen got the best of him, but he didn't give up any sacks to him and for the most part he got the better of him for the entire second half.

As for what Jared Allen did on those first couple of plays against Jason Witten. I would think Allen should do that to a TE and moving forward it's up to the Cowboys coaches to make sure Witten isn't given the job of blocking a Pro Bowl DE one on one in the future.

Jamie Dukes hates the Cowboys because he hates Jerry Jones. That's the bottom line here and his tired act of trying to make everyone think Free was dominated in this game should now be over with because there just isn't any evidence of it ever happening.

You should email him and his boss to show his incompetence.

Mansta54

Reaction score
nflandbooze;3456491 said:
Lol. Don't take my word for it. Read the entire OP in this thread. Near th end, you'll find this:

While the OP was referring to a specific performance in a specific game, he didn't exactly go out of his way to hide the undertone of it all.

I'm not saying Dukes was on the money with his critique, but when you introduce a suggestion that the guy hates Dallas, you better be open to having that suggestion debated as well.

You look at it as you will. I follow the Boyz closely and I also follow NFLN and ESPN just as close and I know and understand exactly what DC is referring to in regards of the hatred for the boyz. They are extremely bias when it comes to the Boyz and reporting on them. If you can't see that, well I don't know what to tell you cause its very clear.. Nevertheless, DC pointed out and proved just how WRONG Dukes is regarding Free's performance against the Vikes...

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
groo;3456483 said:
I used to watch NFL Total Access all the time. Still like Rich Eisen but I don't watch that show anymore because of mediots like Dukes and Rod Woodson. They've stooped down to BSPN level.

I was at NFL.com a few days ago, and they had a video of Rod Woodson "one of the best punt returners ever" working with the 49ers return guys. I was thinking, don't you guys employ Deion Sanders? Why not get the actual best returner? But anyways, during the video, Rod Woodson is bobbling catches, catching the ball at his feet, and way off to the sides. I think he even dropped one.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Mansta54;3456512 said:
You look at it as you will. I follow the Boyz closely and I also follow NFLN and ESPN just as close and I know and understand exactly what DC is referring to in regards of the hatred for the boyz. They are extremely bias when it comes to the Boyz and reporting on them. If you can't see that, well I don't know what to tell you cause its very clear.. Nevertheless, DC pointed out and proved just how WRONG Dukes is regarding Free's performance against the Vikes...

Dukes has said he doesn't necessarily have a problem with the Cowboys, but doesn't like Jerry Jones. I really think he's like a lot of other players, former players and fans that hate the fact that Dallas is still the most popular, most talked about team in the NFL, so he and many others take shots at them when they can to try to bring them down. What they say doesn't necessarily bother me, because I know it's bias borne of jealousy and bitterness. And I'm not trying to be all high and mighty by saying this. I just really believe this is how it is.

The problem I have, and DC made this point very well, is that people will hear this, believe it, and then all we hear or read from other sources is the same garbage. It's like these people who keep saying we can't win with Romo as QB, and bring up things like the bobbled snap, and Jessica Simpson, and ignore everything else. It just gets really frustrating to someone like me, who tries to be objective and open-minded, and then gets bombarded by this overly biased crap. Like many others, it's gotten to the point where I have to turn off NFL Network when talk comes around to the Cowboys, which is pretty much every episode.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Picksix;3456569 said:
The problem I have, and DC made this point very well, is that people will hear this, believe it, and then all we hear or read from other sources is the same garbage. It's like these people who keep saying we can't win with Romo as QB, and bring up things like the bobbled snap, and Jessica Simpson, and ignore everything else. It just gets really frustrating to someone like me, who tries to be objective and open-minded, and then gets bombarded by this overly biased crap. Like many others, it's gotten to the point where I have to turn off NFL Network when talk comes around to the Cowboys, which is pretty much every episode.

I couldn't agree more....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not being funny, but DC, did you tweet this to Jamie Dukes?

Just wondering if he responded to it, at all.

nflandbooze

Reaction score
Mansta54;3456512 said:

Nah, I get it man. Much of this fan base likes to play the victim. If any analyst states anything other than "the Cowboys are the best, every Cowboy is the best, that's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be," some portion of this fan base will be upset. I know Dallas gets a little extra hate, but many of us get a little extra sensitive too.

I watch at least 90% of the same stuff you do, trust me. I also listen to and read a lot of insane reactions to it all. Remember how Troy hates the Cowboys? I mean, how big of an imbecile must someone be to believe that? Yet God knows that was a popular opinion for years in Cowboys fan circles. A dude that won 3 rings with, suffered multiple concussions for, and retired never wearing another uniform, hated Dallas. I mean wow, just wow.

Anyways, I don't believe Dukes made a fair assessment in this instance, but I get why he made it, and I understand where his skepticism is coming from. I also don't chalk it up to Cowboys hate, because I've watched the NFLN for years now, and he gives the Cowboys praise too, and way more so than Rod or Marshall ever have. Honestly, at least he's basing his assessment off of something. ESPN, among others, seems to like to pull stuff out of thin air over the years with some of their critiques.

BubbleScreen

Reaction score
It's one thing to say the OL cratered in Minnesota. Who could argue that? But placing the blame solely on Free, when he had maybe a handful of bad plays, is grossly unfair. No one talks about Columbo coming back too early and getting killed by Edwards. If we had a healthy Flozell at LT and Free on the right side the whole game, it would have at least been competitive at the end.

Mansta54

Reaction score
nflandbooze;3456579 said:
Nah, I get it man. Much of this fan base likes to play the victim. If any analyst states anything other than "the Cowboys are the best, every Cowboy is the best, that's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be," some portion of this fan base will be upset. I know Dallas gets a little extra hate, but many of us get a little extra sensitive too.

I watch at least 90% of the same stuff you do, trust me. I also listen to and read a lot of insane reactions to it all. Remember how Troy hates the Cowboys? I mean, how big of an imbecile must someone be to believe that? Yet God knows that was a popular opinion for years in Cowboys fan circles. A dude that won 3 rings with, suffered multiple concussions for, and retired never wearing another uniform, hated Dallas. I mean wow, just wow.

Anyways, I don't believe Dukes made a fair assessment in this instance, but I get why he made it, and I understand where his skepticism is coming from. I also don't chalk it up to Cowboys hate, because I've watched the NFLN for years now, and he gives the Cowboys praise too, and way more so than Rod or Marshall ever have. Honestly, at least he's basing his assessment off of something. ESPN, among others, seems to like to pull stuff out of thin air over the years with some of their critiques.

Well I disagree with a lot of your post but its all good. You see it your way and I see it my way. It's cool!!!

nflandbooze

Reaction score
Mansta54;3456582 said:
Well I disagree with a lot of your post but its all good. You see it your way and I see it my way. It's cool!!!

Per internet message board rules, we are supposed to fight now, not be civil. :chop:

:beer2: