Video: Emmitt gets emotional on Oprah**Merged**

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith on with Oprah today and on NBC reality show Friday
10:25 AM Tue, Mar 09, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Davis/Editor Bio | E-mail | News tips

Emmitt Smith will appear on The Oprah Winfrey Show today (4 p.m. on WFAA-TV in Dallas) to discuss his family history and his participation in the NBC reality series Who Do You Think You Are? A story about the appearance and what his family history reveals can be found here. Smith will be the featured celebrity on Who Do You Think You Are? this Friday on NBC affiliates (KXAS-TV Ch. 5 locally) at 7 p.m....

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Emmitt-Smith-Traces-His-Family-History

Some know Emmitt Smith as the National Football League's all-time leading rusher. Others recognize him as a three-time Super Bowl champion or a Dancing with the Stars winner. But do you really know who Emmitt is?

Until he traced his genealogy for the NBC reality series Who Do You Think You Are?, Emmitt says he didn't even know the answer to that question.

To find out more about himself and the family members who paved the way for his success, this hall-of-fame inductee followed his roots to Burnt Corn, Alabama, the town where his great-grandmother was born. "I feel like a detective on a hunt trying to find clues," he says.

In Burnt Corn, Emmitt wandered into a convenience store and asked a clerk if he knew two of his relatives, Bill and Victoria Watson. Coincidentally, Joe, the clerk, turned out to be Emmitt's second cousin.

Emmitt soon learned that his great-great-grandmother, Victoria, had an unusual maiden name—Puryear. Genealogist Marjorie Sholes told Emmitt that "Puryear" was probably the name of a slave owner. "African-Americans, at the end of the Civil War, sometimes picked the names of their last slave owner," she says.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
Talked to mom earlier who lives in pensacola, around where emmit came up and she said in an article in the paper today that in the show, (which airs friday at 8 on NBC) that when they were looking for records of his ancestors they found them in Lot #22.

yimyammer

Reaction score
sm0kie13;3302589 said:
Talked to mom earlier who lives in pensacola, around where emmit came up and she said in an article in the paper today that in the show, (which airs friday at 8 on NBC) that when they were looking for records of his ancestors they found them in Lot #22.

It was lot D-22

Emmits speaking seems to have improved immensely

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yimyammer;3302604 said:
It was lot D-22

Emmits speaking seems to have improved immensely

He's been so heavily criticized for his grammar I'm sure he's been working on it. It cost him two TV jobs.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]QLAPxkYZGvA[/youtube]

[youtube]6vEVpPrRHBE[/youtube]
------------------------

The issues in here are tough. I would ask that everyone be respectful in discussing these clips.

mldardy

Reaction score
That's some powerful deep stuff. Makes me want to go back and trace my roots one day. I've always wanted to.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
LatinMind;3302918 said:
emmitt is in my mind the greatest cowboy to ever put the jersey on. :star:

He is right up there with the best, that's for sure. He is my favorite, only because I got to see him play via three years of season tickets in the early 90's.

peck-sicilyisland

Reaction score
I have worked alot of football camps with Emmitt,He is a class guy.Love working with kids,during the camp he works with the kids the whole time camp is going on.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Emmitt always has worn his heart on his sleeve.

I'm glad that he got the answers and closure he wanted regarding his kin.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
mldardy;3302916 said:
That's some powerful deep stuff. Makes me want to go back and trace my roots one day. I've always wanted to.

mine are traced back to england so far;

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hits me harder than most of you can know. In June of 2008 I accidentally found my half sister while doing some genealogy work. We occasionally converse through e-mail, but there is still a feeling that I am a skeleton in a closet that she doesn't want out. I have traced some of our genealogy to slaves in Florida.

jman

Reaction score
KJJ;3302661 said:
He's been so heavily criticized for his grammar I'm sure he's been working on it. It cost him two TV jobs.

Probably has to do with trying to sound football "intelligent" and trying to be an expert vs. just speaking from the heart.