Video Game Systems for Old Guys

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, looking for advice here from the experts.

I feel the need for a game system as I haven't had one in quite some time but had all of them back in the day and really liked them.

What would you suggest for a mature gentleman that doesn't have the flexibility in his hands he did when he wore a younger man's clothes and some of the controls can really cramp the paws. I held the controls from my grandsons' Switch and they felt really tiny and I think too long with that could prove uncomfortable but I do love me some Mario.

So, based on the controls, any proprietary games, ease of use and ancillary benefits for a specific game system, what is your recommendation? And when I say mature gentleman, I played the first Pong game installed in Louisiana at Pascal's Manale restaurant in 1973. Played them all since then but not PS4, X Box or Switch.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
That could be a tough one. Both the PS4 and Xbox controls feel good in my hand, however, games these days require quite the complex button configurations. I suppose there are some more simplistic games out there but they're probably few and far between. Both systems are also great as an entertainment hub.

Do you get motion sickness easy? The PSVR is neat. Most the games are simple and the controls are easy to use, but like I said, it is in VR. Some people get motion sickness from the movements. I can handle about 90% of the games I have tried but some get to me.

If you have a Best Buy near you they usually have those systems out to play with and test. Could be a way to dip your toe in the pool on one. What kind of games are you interested in?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, looking for advice here from the experts.

I feel the need for a game system as I haven't had one in quite some time but had all of them back in the day and really liked them.

What would you suggest for a mature gentleman that doesn't have the flexibility in his hands he did when he wore a younger man's clothes and some of the controls can really cramp the paws. I held the controls from my grandsons' Switch and they felt really tiny and I think too long with that could prove uncomfortable but I do love me some Mario.

So, based on the controls, any proprietary games, ease of use and ancillary benefits for a specific game system, what is your recommendation? And when I say mature gentleman, I played the first Pong game installed in Louisiana at Pascal's Manale restaurant in 1973. Played them all since then but not PS4, X Box or Switch.

Are you tech savvy?

If so a Raspberry Pi retro gaming setup might be the way to go?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That could be a tough one. Both the PS4 and Xbox controls feel good in my hand, however, games these days require quite the complex button configurations. I suppose there are some more simplistic games out there but they're probably few and far between. Both systems are also great as an entertainment hub.

Do you get motion sickness easy? The PSVR is neat. Most the games are simple and the controls are easy to use, but like I said, it is in VR. Some people get motion sickness from the movements. I can handle about 90% of the games I have tried but some get to me.

If you have a Best Buy near you they usually have those systems out to play with and test. Could be a way to dip your toe in the pool on one. What kind of games are you interested in?
Don't have motion sickness but then I haven't played any VR games. I like mostly action and first shooter's are fun but I haven't played in so long I am not sure what I'd like in the new ones.

I get that complicated controls thing too. Too many buttons and too much manual dexterity involved as I have the tendency to just yell at the screen "fall down dead, damnit", "no, turn the other way" and end up with "alright, that wasn't my fault, it's this damned controller". I want entertainment not frustration, I can get frustration for free.

Good idea on the Best Buy, thanks.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Agree with Slammed, that is a bit tougher but you can always buy custom fit controllers too if ya got the big paws so don't worry too much in that regard. VR is probably a little much, was for me too tbh. If you like the newer Mario/Xelda games, you would need a Nintendo System (switch) and have it hook up to your TV. The custome fit size might not be in play here though unf w/it being a small system.

You might actually be into this niche system that has old school games from NES/Super NES days. New system, go with PS4 Pro if you have a 4K TV.
($60) for system and games/2 controllers. (Walmur)
Retro-Family-HDMI-Mini-TV-Game-Console-HD-Video-Classic-Handheld-Game-Players-Built-in-600-1.jpg

3fdd9370-6755-4966-a4e3-c58b68190692_1.a41d4befff890ece0535443347401128.jpeg

$90.00

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you tech savvy?

If so a Raspberry Pi retro gaming setup might be the way to go?
Did I mention that original Pong game still mystifies me? I am not a techy, I like things to work but don't care how they do, just that they do. I think SZ was onto something there in the "simple to operate" mode.

I like the "retro" part of your suggestion, don't know about the rest, never heard of that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with Slammed, that is a bit tougher but you can always buy custom fit controllers too if ya got the big paws so don't worry too much in that regard. VR is probably a little much, was for me too tbh. If you like Mario/Xelda, you would need a Nintendo System but not sure of how that hooks up to your TV and if you could. You might actually be into this niche system that has old school games from NES/Super NES days.
($60) for system and games/2 controllers. (Walmur)
Retro-Family-HDMI-Mini-TV-Game-Console-HD-Video-Classic-Handheld-Game-Players-Built-in-600-1.jpg

3fdd9370-6755-4966-a4e3-c58b68190692_1.a41d4befff890ece0535443347401128.jpeg

$90.00
Wow, that looks familiar. No, my hands are normal sized, at least that's what the women tell me. They make custom controllers now?

I should have stayed up on this, I used to license music to all of the game makers back in the day. Interesting bunch of guys, like they were all brothers of the same mother and inhabited their own world. They can afford to buy their own world.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My 53-year old hands prefer the PS4 controller. My pet peeve concerns the placement of the power button. One false slip of a thumb off a stick button takes me out of the game into menu land. Meanwhile, opponents will suddenly find my avatar is easy pickings. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Before anyone suggests it, I have already tried the stick extenders, etc. Controller aids do not work for me. And I am not mutilating my controllers simply to avoid my slips of the thumb. :laugh:

Plus I play all the time (too much if you ask my wife) so I am auto-banning anyone who suggests I should practice more to control my thumb miscues. :mad: Nah. I am totally lying about the auto-ban :p but I will certainly think it! :mad:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did I mention that original Pong game still mystifies me? I am not a techy, I like things to work but don't care how they do, just that they do. I think SZ was onto something there in the "simple to operate" mode.

I like the "retro" part of your suggestion, don't know about the rest, never heard of that.

If you wanted to, I think you can simply buy a Raspberry Pi retro gaming system already made for you on eBay.

You can have thousands and thousands of retro games on there, from virtually any gaming consoles you can think of.

Do some google research on it and see I find it might be something that would work for you. They make USB controllers that emulate virtually any of the old school systems too.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Wow, that looks familiar. No, my hands are normal sized, at least that's what the women tell me. They make custom controllers now?

I should have stayed up on this, I used to license music to all of the game makers back in the day. Interesting bunch of guys, like they were all brothers of the same mother and inhabited their own world. They can afford to buy their own world.
I always wondered who made that background/boss music. Pretty cool :D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bored of Jax?
I remember my mother telling me her favorite game as a kid was using a stick to make a hula hoop type thing roll, as she ran along beside it.......and she wonders why I think she's dorky.

Reactions: G2
Reaction score
if you have the budget and space, these are fun. Pretty much all the old school arcade games (usually 60 games), coin operated option and nostalgic. Can be had new for around $1000.

IMG_3593PS.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
if you have the budget and space, these are fun. Pretty much all the old school arcade games (usually 60 games), coin operated option and nostalgic. Can be had new for around $1000.

IMG_3593PS.jpg
But you can't play it in a recliner...or on the toilet. Well, I suppose you could play it on the toilet.