Video: Jackie Battle may have "it"

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1532463 said:
I would somewhat agree with your assessment and while I have been a fan of Jackie Battle here in Houston I'm not under any illusions that he is a sure thing. He has to go out and prove himself.
Battle definitely has a shorter leash than the draft picks, but I'm betting he does well enough to earn a spot on the PS this year (at least, that's what I hope). I sure would like to see another UDFA Cougar make the squad like Lockhart did way back when.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
5mics;1533329 said:
Battle definitely has a shorter leash than the draft picks, but I'm betting he does well enough to earn a spot on the PS this year (at least, that's what I hope). I sure would like to see another UDFA Cougar make the squad like Lockhart did way back when.....

I think Battle has a chance to make the 53 man squad but to do so he will have to show an impact on special teams. As the 3rd back I think that is what it comes down to. I agree there is a chance he could go to the PS if he can't make the 53.

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1532560 said:
I feel the draft is over and really don't care where any player was drafted or not it is what you do on the field from this point on. Granted top picks we get more leeway but in the end they face the same as any other player.

This is my viewpoint as well. Determinations cannot be made now about Battle or how he stacks up with Thompson or Barber - that can only be determined once they are in training camp and in game situations.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;1533337 said:
This is my viewpoint as well. Determinations cannot be made now about Battle or how he stacks up with Thompson or Barber - that can only be determined once they are in training camp and in game situations.

True and as I stated above I think for him to make the team as the 3rd back it will come down to special teams. The 3rd back in the lineup has to be able to do more than just sitting on the bench waiting his chance to be on offense, he has to show ability on special teams

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1533343 said:
True and as I stated above I think for him to make the team as the 3rd back it will come down to special teams. The 3rd back in the lineup has to be able to do more than just sitting on the bench waiting his chance to be on offense, he has to show ability on special teams

That's exactly why I think it will be tough for him. Thompson has shown to be an above average kickoff return man, and the fact that he has shown it in the regular season over 2 years is an advantage even if Battle shows similar ability in the preseason.

I suspect Battle may be better suited as a coverage guy on special teams than Thompson though, and that might be where he has to shine in order to make the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;1533348 said:
That's exactly why I think it will be tough for him. Thompson has shown to be an above average kickoff return man, and the fact that he has shown it in the regular season over 2 years is an advantage even if Battle shows similar ability in the preseason.

I suspect Battle may be better suited as a coverage guy on special teams than Thompson though, and that might be where he has to shine in order to make the team.

True and then there is Alonzo Coleman who will also be in the mix. So for these 3 guys it will come down in my opinion to who can do the most on special teams

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1533356 said:
True and then there is Alonzo Coleman who will also be in the mix. So for these 3 guys it will come down in my opinion to who can do the most on special teams

I'm not very familiar with Colemen. Seems like I've read he is a little smaller and quicker ...... maybe a good combination of return ability and big play ability in the running game for us?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Stautner;1533348 said:

With Miles Austin essentially doing just as good as Thompson as a return man, we might opt not to go with Thompson...

Not saying Battle or Coleman are necessarily better options. But with Austin doing the job well, it might make Thompson more expendable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;1533359 said:
I'm not very familiar with Colemen. Seems like I've read he is a little smaller and quicker ...... maybe a good combination of return ability and big play ability in the running game for us?

Well it should be an interesting battle for the 3rd spot. I wish all these guys the best.

Stautner

Reaction score
Vintage;1533362 said:
With Miles Austin essentially doing just as good as Thompson as a return man, we might opt not to go with Thompson...

Not saying Battle or Coleman are necessarily better options. But with Austin doing the job well, it might make Thompson more expendable.

This is absolutely true.

I still think Thompson has an advantage going in because we know he can return kicks, but that carries much less weight knowing he isn't the only, or in some minds, the best option.

I also think Thompson has an advantage in that I think he has at least proven he can be adequate and do a reasonable job in the running game if necessary, but certainly if Battle or Coleman can convince the coaches they can go beyond that and possibly even has the potential to eventually become a more active participant in the running game, then Thompson, again, would be expendable.

Bottom line is that I think it's Thompson's job to lose, but his hold on it is not unbreakable.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
5mics;1533324 said:
Hey, I may be dense BUT I'm not the one cryin' cuz I'm stuck in a city I hate all the while boohooing about going back "home." Like I said before, "man up." Figured it out now kiddo? :D

your age is really starting to show.

I never once did anything of the sort cryin, or boohooing. But continue blasting your stupidty, I'll go do something productive.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I wondered why a guy with his measurables went undrafted. That's all I said.

Stautner;1531464 said:
................snip....

With all scouts and coaches running around do you really think it was just an oversight?

Come on, there was a reason.

Whatever the reason was, it doesn't condemn him to failure, but it would be stupid to believe NFL coaches and scouts didn't look at him closely and make their decison accordingly.

Stautner;1532430 said:
...............snip........

I clearly said that it would be stupid to believe that he was just overlooked, so if you don't believe that then I wasn't calling you stupid - and if I got the wrong imprssion about your post or I came on too strong, I apologize.

And even so, there is a difference between calling an idea stupid and calling a person stupid. I called the idea that he was overlooked stupid - not you personally.

JUST FOR THE RECORD THOUGH: all of this you just typed about possible reasons he wasn't drafted was not part of your earlier post - earlier you just said you didn't understnd why a guy with his measurables wasn't drafted.

I've had enough training and lived long enough to understand if someone thinks your ideas are stupid then they're saying you're stupid. Even if only being stupid for the moment.

I'll accept your apology and disregard the rest of your last comment since its pretty stupid. ;)

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1533387 said:
your age is really starting to show.

I never once did anything of the sort cryin, or boohooing. But continue blasting your stupidty, I'll go do something productive.
Geez man, calm down. No need to get all bent out of shape. Don't dish out what you can't take..... :lmao2:

Stautner

Reaction score
jobberone;1534216 said:
I wondered why a guy with his measurables went undrafted. That's all I said.

I've had enough training and lived long enough to understand if someone thinks your ideas are stupid then they're saying you're stupid. Even if only being stupid for the moment.

I'll accept your apology and disregard the rest of your last comment since its pretty stupid. ;)

Hey - feel free to speak for me anytime you want.