Video: Jackie Battle may have "it"

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dogunwo;1532289 said:
I believe it had alot to do with his upright running style, seems like it would be hard to coach him out of that, and him remain effective as he has been. Also, the teams that needed running backs picked them up in earlier rounds, so there was no need to draft Battle later, IMO

I don't know Steve Jackson runs upright and it has not hurt him. Battle will lower the shoulders at contact and once he breaks through he has good speed. Myself I think like many college players around the nation some guys get overlooked and I think Battle is just one of these guys. I do think playing in an unorthodox offense and sharing duties with some others may have resulted in scouts not looking at him and he really did not get noticed much until scouts started looking a Kolb. Right now none of that will matter to Battle if he can go out and play the game they way he knows how I think he has a good shot at making the team

superpunk

Reaction score
dogunwo;1532289 said:
I believe it had alot to do with his upright running style, seems like it would be hard to coach him out of that, and him remain effective as he has been. Also, the teams that needed running backs picked them up in earlier rounds, so there was no need to draft Battle later, IMO

His running style looks almost exacly like Larry Johnson. If you watch that, then clips of Johnson, they're both long-striders, and tend towards running upright. Battle just doesn't look like he's got the build of Johnson. But both look like your standard large, one-cut backs.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
superpunk;1532295 said:
His running style looks almost exacly like Larry Johnson. If you watch that, then clips of Johnson, they're both long-striders, and tend towards running upright. Battle just doesn't look like he's got the build of Johnson. But both look like your standard large, one-cut backs.
Larry Johnson gets punished alot too. At least he does have some slight wiggle which is going to prolong his career, Battle's only hope is going to be given limited carries.

But make no mistake, I am rooting for him to do well, so he could be the awesomeness on our roster, or maybe a team will trade for him or something. If he lit it up in pre-season, picking up a conditional late rounder like a 6th brings us out on top. I think.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1532280 said:
It is hard to say why Battle was overlooked but he has had no issues. As for his ability to play the game he has done a very good job at U of H but for whatever reason was under the radar. I guess the same could be said of Romo and why he went undrafted. At this stage where or if you got drafted or not really makes no difference it is what you do with the opportunity.

i agree. I think the higher drafted guys get a longer ride and more benefit of the doubt with injuries and performance but there are certainly people out there who aren't drafted and can play in the NFL. That's been true since the beginning.

I'm glad he doesn't have issues. I do have some concerns but they're minor and they're certainly of no import regarding his ability to land a spot. They never call me before making roster decisions. :) My guess is teams just didn't see enough predraft to make him draftable. I'm still a little bit amazed his pro day workout didn't get him drafted though.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Its been said that aside from two RB's at the top, this was the worst crop of RB's in recent memory. If you had any discernible talent, teams were just looking for reasons to draft you out of sheer demand.

Think of it this way: teams and Defensive coordinators are GOING TO KNOW that when Barber or Battle are in, chances are we are going to run it inside.

I don't know why they would think that considering Barber is our most versatile back, by a large margin.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jobberone;1532340 said:
i agree. I think the higher drafted guys get a longer ride and more benefit of the doubt with injuries and performance but there are certainly people out there who aren't drafted and can play in the NFL. That's been true since the beginning.

I'm glad he doesn't have issues. I do have some concerns but they're minor and they're certainly of no import regarding his ability to land a spot. They never call me before making roster decisions. :) My guess is teams just didn't see enough predraft to make him draftable. I'm still a little bit amazed his pro day workout didn't get him drafted though.

I think Battle may have been surprised that he was not drafted after his workouts and getting the rave reviews after that workout. I do agree that getting drafted allows the player more of the benefit of the doubt so for Battle he has to make the most of his opportunity when he is on the field be it special teams work or when he is lined up in the backfield because he may not get as long of a look if he can't impress the coaches each time he is out on the field.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1531260 said:
I don't know where you get this man up stuff from but since you feel compelled to know...

I'm from houston, but my family is from dallas. I hate being here in houston, and once i grafuate from college, im moving my butt back to Dallas to be with my cowboys.

Any other questions?
Huh? How could you be from H-Town but your family from Dallas? Anyways, enjoy doing time in this great city of ours..... :laugh2:

And for the record, I think Battle makes the practice squad this season.....

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
5mics;1532397 said:
Huh? How could you be from H-Town but your family from Dallas? Anyways, enjoy doing time in this great city of ours..... :laugh2:

And for the record, I think Battle makes the practice squad this season.....

if you can't figure it out, you don't need to know. Stay in school.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Guys, the only job Jackie Battle is going to be battling for is burger flipping.

Cook_Flipping_Burger.jpg

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
nyc;1532408 said:
Guys, the only job Jackie Battle is going to be battling for is burger flipping.

Cook_Flipping_Burger.jpg

Lmao!

the only question about him is which fast food place will it be at :D

Stautner

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1532038 said:
Points taken.

I say we keep him instead of Thompson if push came to shove and let him stay on the roster.

I don't want you to think that I am saying that Battle is as good as MBIII. I do say that I think Battle has the talent to be a good inside runner in the next few years, not now.

The only issue I have with this is that at this point we don't even have a good feel for whether he is better or more talented than Thompson, much less Barber.

I'm all for giving him a shot, and I hope he proves to be bvery talented, but it's way premature to say he should be kept over anyone just yet.

jobberone;1532173 said:
Boy did you miss the boat! And I'd rather you not label me as stupid. Especially when you jump to the wrong conclusions about someone's post.

Despite the buzz created by his pro day workout and some great measurables he wasn't drafted. I still haven't figured out why every single team would pass over him. Do you know? Obviously no one thought he was worth spending a draft pick on. Even a low one. So what is the reason a 245 lb and 4.4 RB isn't drafted? Does he have a work ethic problem? And/or a drug problem? Does he really not want to play football? Does he have problems learning and applying knowledge? Is he a problem child who doesn't listen to the coaches? Does he refuse to block or just simply not have the talent for it? Is he a poor teammate who causes morale problems? Maybe he can't catch the ball?

He sure wasn't just overlooked. Question is why.

I clearly said that it would be stupid to believe that he was just overlooked, so if you don't believe that then I wasn't calling you stupid - and if I got the wrong imprssion about your post or I came on too strong, I apologize.

And even so, there is a difference between calling an idea stupid and calling a person stupid. I called the idea that he was overlooked stupid - not you personally.

JUST FOR THE RECORD THOUGH: all of this you just typed about possible reasons he wasn't drafted was not part of your earlier post - earlier you just said you didn't understnd why a guy with his measurables wasn't drafted.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;1532430 said:
The only issue I have with this is that at this point we don't even have a good feel for whether he is better or more talented than Thompson, much less Barber.

I'm all for giving him a shot, and I hope he proves to be bvery talented, but it's way premature to say he should be kept over anyone just yet.

I clearly said that it would be stupid to believe that he was just overlooked, so if you don't believe that then I wasn't calling you stupid - and if I got the wrong imprssion about your post or I came on too strong, I apologize.

And even so, there is a difference between calling an idea stupid and calling a person stupid. I called the idea that he was overlooked stupid - not you personally.

JUST FOR THE RECORD THOUGH: all of this you just typed about possible reasons he wasn't drafted was not part of your earlier post - earlier you just said you didn't understnd why a guy with his measurables wasn't drafted.

I do think guys get overlooked and end up proving themselves as UDFA like Drew Pearson why did he go undrafted? He clearly had the talent to play at this level but within 12 rds he was not selected. To think any scouting department on any team can see all of the players at all of the different colleges and not miss out on players is not unreasonable and not impossible

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1532442 said:
I do think guys get overlooked and end up proving themselves as UDFA like Drew Pearson why did he go undrafted? He clearly had the talent to play at this level but within 12 rds he was not selected. To think any scouting department on any team can see all of the players at all of the different colleges and not miss out on players is not unreasonable and not impossible

I'm not sure overlooked is the word, but clearly people get misjudged and/or undervalued. It happens all the time - even with players that get drafted. The opposite is also true - people get overvalued as well.

The point is that drafting is not an exact science, but the scouts use all the information possible and evaluate every player as fully as they feel they can in an effort to minimize mistakes.

I'm sure at times part of being misjudged o undervalued is that scouts have to allocate time and sometimes give less time to players that have potential - but they have to make some choices and they have to draw the line and they have to consider all factors, even some off-field factors.

Keep in mind that with Drew Pearson it's easy to say now that he "clearly had the talent", but that' speaking with the benefit of hindsight.

I hope Battle has that kind of talent as well, but I'm conident that between ALL the teams there were some legitimate reasons that he dropped.

The key is that he has to go into camp, work his *** off and prove that he was misjudged and undervalued. I hope he does.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;1532459 said:
I'm not sure overlooked is the word, but clearly people get misjudged and/or undervalued. It happens all the time - even with players that get drafted. The opposite is also true - people get overvalued as well.

The point is that drafting is not an exact science, but the scouts use all the information possible and evaluate every player as fully as they feel they can in an effort to minimize mistakes.

I'm sure at times part of being misjudged o undervalued is that scouts have to allocate time and sometimes give less time to players that have potential - but they have to make some choices and they have to draw the line and they have to consider all factors, even some off-field factors.

Keep in mind that with Drew Pearson it's easy to say now that he "clearly had the talent", but that' speaking with the benefit of hindsight.

I hope Battle has that kind of talent as well, but I'm conident that between ALL the teams there were some legitimate reasons that he dropped.

The key is that he has to go into camp, work his *** off and prove that he was misjudged and undervalued. I hope he does.

I would somewhat agree with your assessment and while I have been a fan of Jackie Battle here in Houston I'm not under any illusions that he is a sure thing. He has to go out and prove himself.

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1532463 said:
I would somewhat agree with your assessment and while I have been a fan of Jackie Battle here in Houston I'm not under any illusions that he is a sure thing. He has to go out and prove himself.

This is all I'm saying.

I've just had too many folks on this board and another I'm a member of say we SHOULD do this or that with Battle - that we should keep him and let Thompson go or we should use Battle in short yardage situations instead of Barber or whatever.

My only point is that right now the ONLY thing we should do is bring him to camp and see what he is capable of, and only then should we decide whether to cut another player or use him in certain situations.

I just can't understand the notion that considerations should be given to a low rated undrafted FA over a known player before even taking a look at the FA in training camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;1532477 said:
This is all I'm saying.

I've just had too many folks on this board and another I'm a member of say we SHOULD do this or that with Battle - that we should keep him and let Thompson go or we should use Battle in short yardage situations instead of Barber or whatever.

My only point is that right now the ONLY thing we should do is bring him to camp and see what he is capable of, and only then should we decide whether to cut another player or use him in certain situations.

I just can't understand the notion that considerations should be given to a low rated undrafted FA over a known player before even taking a look at the FA in training camp.

I feel the draft is over and really don't care where any player was drafted or not it is what you do on the field from this point on. Granted top picks we get more leeway but in the end they face the same as any other player.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1532403 said:
if you can't figure it out, you don't need to know. Stay in school.
Hey, I may be dense BUT I'm not the one cryin' cuz I'm stuck in a city I hate all the while boohooing about going back "home." Like I said before, "man up." Figured it out now kiddo? :D