Video: Kiper and McShay talk WR's

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]ugOhEeTntvY[/youtube]
------------------------

I know the Cowboys aren't in desperate need of a WR this season, but if Roy Williams is a washout again in 2010 then he's probably not coming back in 2011 and I think we can assume Sam Hurd is never going to be a starting caliber WR in the NFL.

This kid Mike Williams was looked at as a top tier guy before he got into some trouble back in November and left the team. He's not a burner, but he's just a guy who shows up as a playmaker when he's on the field.

With Miles Austin and Kevin Ogletree both progressing they give the Cowboys enough speed at the WR spot. It's not that Williams is a slowpoke or anything, but it will be interesting to see what he runs at the combine.

Here's a scouting report on him from Sporting News, read here.

Just throwing out a name of a guy who may be around in rounds 3 or 4 who would be a steal at that spot because of his off the field stuff but looks to be a kid who produces on the field when he's given the chance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We won't draft a character concern at WR, and rightfully so. We've proven with Crayton, Austin, Ogletree and Hurd that you can find and develop quality guys later if you know what to look for.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Idgit;3282258 said:
We won't draft a character concern at WR, and rightfully so. We've proven with Crayton, Austin, Ogletree and Hurd that you can find and develop quality guys later if you know what to look for.

Getting a little ahead of yourself with KO being mentioned.

The team just spent an entire draft on part timers and ended up cutting a good number of them last offseason.

I really don't see what the difference is in drafting a bunch of mid-to-late rounders knowing that they all cannot be on the final roster or drafting a higher risk player who seems to have a TON of talent compared to his draft slot. Your either gonna get a lot of bang for your buck or get rid of him and be in the same spot you would be by drafting a flock of ducks.

I don't know anything about the guy and won't pretend like I do but I wouldn't rule out getting a potential steal.

Randy White

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3282261 said:
The team just spent an entire draft on part timers and ended up cutting a good number of them last offseason..

Why does this statement keeps getting repeated over and over again when it's simply NOT true ? Is the belief, by those who keep posting it, that if it's repeated often enough, it becomes reality ?

Cowboys drafted 12 players last year. 9 of them made the team, 3 of them didn't. 3 players drafted, out of 12, not making the team is NOT anything out of the ordinary or unusual.

As a matter of fact, 9 drafted players making the Dallas Cowboys 2009 roster IS out of the ordinary and extremely unusual.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We have to get another explosive player for this offense at some point.

We are to dependent on Austin and Felix Jones right now and both those guys haven't always been able to stay healthy.

It just makes sense to bring in more explosive players.

Reaction score
Mike Williams would be an abseloute steal in the 3rd/4th. His attitude is the only problem, but hopefully we can fix that up. Minus he attitude he's a 1st round lock IMO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3282588 said:
Mike Williams would be an abseloute steal in the 3rd/4th. His attitude is the only problem, but hopefully we can fix that up. Minus he attitude he's a 1st round lock IMO.

I just dont like guys like him because there is just way to much distraction in this town as it is so if your not a football junkie than you will most likely never reach your full potential here.

Id rather go after the player who I know will give all of his effort over the more talented guy.

Also what does he add to special teams? Our top 3 receivers are just about set in stone so we need a guy who can play special teams and make plays on limited opportunities.

I think the spark plug guys like Shipley or Jacoby Ford is who this team should target.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Randy White;3282564 said:
Why does this statement keeps getting repeated over and over again when it's simply NOT true ? Is the belief, by those who keep posting it, that if it's repeated often enough, it becomes reality ?

Cowboys drafted 12 players last year. 9 of them made the team, 3 of them didn't. 3 players drafted, out of 12, not making the team is NOT anything out of the ordinary or unusual.

As a matter of fact, 9 drafted players making the Dallas Cowboys 2009 roster IS out of the ordinary and extremely unusual.

My bad on the number of players kept.

My point was you can draft way more than you can keep or you can draft a higher risk player. Worst case scenario, you cut the risky player just the same as the excess players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Mike WIlliams is gonna be a Bengal.

But boy, he sure looks good in that highlight video.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
______ is a great talent. He has a little attitude problem, but we (I) can fix that up.

-- Jerry Jones talking about Kareem Larrimore.

Or Willie Blade. or Derek Ross. Or Tank Johnson. Or Pacman Jones. Or...

Reaction score
I think a WR like Brandon Lafell, as mentioned in another post, would be a great value pick for Dallas. Poor QB play really put a damper on his 2009 season.

Randy White

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3282598 said:
My bad on the number of players kept.

My point was you can draft way more than you can keep or you can draft a higher risk player. Worst case scenario, you cut the risky player just the same as the excess players.

Depending where you draft that high risk player, I agree with you. 3rd round is my " neutral zone " territory. If I have to cut a player ( after training camp ) who was drafted in the 3rd round, that's going to sting. Not kill me, but absolutely get my attention.

4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds ? Anything can happen.

This team found it's franchise QB, and current best receiver, as undrafted free agents, so cutting anybody along those rounds don't bother me too much.

RS12

Reaction score
Have heard others say Williams was not cut out for college, but he does seem to lack maturity.

Randy White

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3282681 said:
I think a WR like Brandon Lafell, as mentioned in another post, would be a great value pick for Dallas. .

Sure, if he fell all the way to the 3rd round, at the earliest. Anything before that, you might as well draft a QB because he'd make just as much contribution as LaFell would.

QB, WR, TE, RB = Don't care who falls there in the first 2 rounds. If Dez Bryant fell to #27, trade the pick to somebody who's interested in him and willing to give up a #1 for next year and a 2nd this year ( in Bryant and Bradford case ) or two 2nd round picks for this year. Same thing goes for Bradford, C.J, Spiller, or Jermaine Gresham.

Reaction score
CATCH17;3282594 said:
I just dont like guys like him because there is just way to much distraction in this town as it is so if your not a football junkie than you will most likely never reach your full potential here.

Id rather go after the player who I know will give all of his effort over the more talented guy.

Also what does he add to special teams? Our top 3 receivers are just about set in stone so we need a guy who can play special teams and make plays on limited opportunities.

I think the spark plug guys like Shipley or Jacoby Ford is who this team should target.

I doubt he adds anything to special teams, but what if Roy doesn't work out in 2010 ? Were going to eventually need a replacement and the Wr class looks pretty soft next year. I don't know but he looks really good in that highlight video.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;3282261 said:
Getting a little ahead of yourself with KO being mentioned.

The team just spent an entire draft on part timers and ended up cutting a good number of them last offseason.

I really don't see what the difference is in drafting a bunch of mid-to-late rounders knowing that they all cannot be on the final roster or drafting a higher risk player who seems to have a TON of talent compared to his draft slot. Your either gonna get a lot of bang for your buck or get rid of him and be in the same spot you would be by drafting a flock of ducks.

I don't know anything about the guy and won't pretend like I do but I wouldn't rule out getting a potential steal.

Randy White already addressed the issue of last year's draft. Re: Ogletree, I don't think I'm ahead of myself at all. Granted, he may not continue to develop, but I think it'd be hard for you to make a convincing case that he didn't show in his first year as a FA as much as a high-round pick might be expected to show. The point is, you can find talented receivers later in the draft, and we've got a great recent track record of doing so. Why waste an earlier pick when you've got other positions of need to fill?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Randy White;3282784 said:
Sure, if he fell all the way to the 3rd round, at the earliest. Anything before that, you might as well draft a QB because he'd make just as much contribution as LaFell would.

QB, WR, TE, RB = Don't care who falls there in the first 2 rounds. If Dez Bryant fell to #27, trade the pick to somebody who's interested in him and willing to give up a #1 for next year and a 2nd this year ( in Bryant and Bradford case ) or two 2nd round picks for this year. Same thing goes for Bradford, C.J, Spiller, or Jermaine Gresham.

Not really.

If WR Mardy Gilyard from Cincy is available for us in round two he will make a huge impact as he's one of the best punt/kick returners in the draft.

Wood

Reaction score
draft lab? I remember when we would just comment on Kiper hair...now it looks like he is in the middle of csi episode.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3282801 said:
I doubt he adds anything to special teams, but what if Roy doesn't work out in 2010 ? Were going to eventually need a replacement and the Wr class looks pretty soft next year. I don't know but he looks really good in that highlight video.

Roy will at worst be a good #2 for this team. The only way he gets the boot is because of his contract.

I just don't think this team will ditch Sam Hurd unless we can bring in a guy who is a threat on Special Teams.