Twitter: Video: Parcells coaching young Romo

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
That man was the reason that Romo became the player he was. We can all thank BP for a lot but Romo was the best thing he did while he was here.

canters

Reaction score
I wish nothing but bad things for you in the future. Have a good one...
I like Romo and think he never got credit where it was due, but he was prone to fumble and get hurt.

I forgive you for bad wishes, btw.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
I like Romo and think he never got credit where it was due, but he was prone to fumble and get hurt.

I forgive you for bad wishes, btw.

Prone to fumble? Really? Never heard anyone complain about his fumbling.

canters

Reaction score
Prone to fumble? Really? Never heard anyone complain about his fumbling.
Maybe I watched all the wrong games, but it seems to me that he was prone to fumble when sacked. He played behind some bad Olines no doubt, which did not help in regards to him staying healthy either.

He was a very very good QB who could have won a SB if he had more support.

rags747

Reaction score
I never understood the praise Sean Payton (who I like) gets for Romo.

He didn't know who Romo was until Romo got here. Romo has stated that the guy that really worked with him here was David Lee. And Payton was the guy that wanted him to start in Day 1 of 2003 and Romo has stated that he wasn't nearly ready at that time.

Nobody has a better record of coaching up more QB's in this league than Parcells. He made Ray Lucas and Quincy Carter look like competent starters and Vinny Testaverde into a Pro Bowler.

I would have liked to have Payton as the HC here in 2007 when Romo had his first full season as starter, but he had little to do with Romo and could have destroyed his career he was the HC here in 2003.

YR
I would add that Romo starting in 2003 would not have been such a bad thing, he certainly would have been as good as QC. Agreed on the Ray Lucas, Testaverde and QC thoughts though. In reality though Romo should have been starting in 04/05...yes he would have had some turnovers but we would have been so much more explosive too.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I would add that Romo starting in 2003 would not have been such a bad thing, he certainly would have been as good as QC. Agreed on the Ray Lucas, Testaverde and QC thoughts though. In reality though Romo should have been starting in 04/05...yes he would have had some turnovers but we would have been so much more explosive too.

QB's are a lot like pitchers in MLB. You bring them up too early before they are ready and you can destroy everything. Romo wasn't even close to being ready. He wasn't close to being ready in '04 and for the most part in '05 from watching him in preseason. Like pitchers in baseball, you have to correct mechanics, develop them into what a starting QB has to do and learn the game.

If Romo had started in '03, my belief is we would have been out of the league in 5 years. Parcells knew how to develop QB's and if he didn't want to start Romo in favor of Quincy Carter and then later on a near 40-year old Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe who was well past his prime...it was for good reason.

YR

ShiningStar

Reaction score

He didn't know who Romo was until Romo got here. Romo has stated that the guy that really worked with him here was David Lee. And Payton was the guy that wanted him to start in Day 1 of 2003 and Romo has stated that he wasn't nearly ready at that time.

Nobody has a better record of coaching up more QB's in this league than Parcells. He made Ray Lucas and Quincy Carter look like competent starters and Vinny Testaverde into a Pro Bowler.

I would have liked to have Payton as the HC here in 2007 when Romo had his first full season as starter, but he had little to do with Romo and could have destroyed his career he was the HC here in 2003.

YR

I believe we got Romo because of Payton, and Romo had a great career because Dallas did him right on that end.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ely-cowboys-career-comes-end-realize-got-easy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny watching this video, Parcells first thing he said is "you gotta get the call out of your hands, you're gonna get killed".

I love Romo but I wish he learned that one. He took way too many shots and all of the injuries towards the end of his career cost him a couple opportunities.

It no doubt shortened his career.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

YR

This information about Payton and Romo is inaccurate.

cej757

Reaction score
Great stuff right there in that video, a mighty Big sin that we were never able to surround Tony with a truly dominating team. Finally gets that shot vs GB, beautiful ballsy clutch pass to Dez and the refs ***** us. That pass was clutch in a huge situation, perfect throw and Tony still got dog'd. It turns out that Garrett ***** him too in the end.

I still think the Cowboys would've went to Seattle that next week and beat them easy. 34-13. That's why that Greenbay game still haunts me. I don't know if the Cowboys would've beat New England but I know they would've got there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hard to say Romo never gave up his gun slinger ways and under Parcells he would have. I like BP but frankly his success was based around defense who could dominate and a offense that made few mistakes.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If only Parcells had decided to kick that FG on 3rd down instead of 4th......things may be very different today :(

rynochop

Reaction score
Risen not in on a Parcells thread? Guess it's to happy Cowboys stuff, or I he's an idiot when it comes to that, I forget

goshan

Reaction score
If only Parcells had decided to kick that FG on 3rd down instead of 4th......things may be very different today :(
no way you make that call. you try to win the game there, especially given the time left on the clock. also, i don't get why people talk about that game, mediocre team that had no shot to do anything.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
no way you make that call. you try to win the game there, especially given the time left on the clock. also, i don't get why people talk about that game, mediocre team that had no shot to do anything.

I know but what ifs. Wasn't there less than a minute left and zero TO's for Seattle though? Can't remember......

I was talking about the stigma that surrounds Romo being different, not the team as a SB contender.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This was VERY early in the process.
You can tell Parcells liked him.
All the instruction was good too.
Romo always said he didnt know much those 1st couple of years.:laugh:

DFWJC

Reaction score
if parcells would of stayed for the 2007 season their is a good chance we win the superbowl
The undefeated Pats were awfully good.
They beat Dallas by THREE TOUCHDOWNS that year.
For some reason, the Giants had Brady's number though.

At least we know Parcells wouldn't have made poor Tony be the only starting QB playing special teams...like he had him do in 2006.:muttley:

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
Not only that but Seattle had two throw away corner backs that game and Parcells came out all conservative like he still had the NYG defense to back up his ways. Romo would have ripped that Seattle team through the air but Parcells was having none of it...We could have made some noise that year too. So many lost opportunities during Romo's time.