Video: Poor Bobby Carpenter, lol.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]f9gWmmuyrwE[/youtube]
----------------------------------------

The kid just doesn't fit in a 3-4 defense.

I can't see him coming back next season if Zach and Burnett are back.

I doubt he's back even if they aren't.

If I was him I would be asking for a trade to a 4-3 defense where can play the WLB spot and use his athleticism like a Briggs in Chicago.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2503669 said:
[youtube]f9gWmmuyrwE[/youtube]
----------------------------------------

If I was him I would be asking for a trade to a 4-3 defense where can play the WLB spot and use his athleticism like a Briggs in Chicago.
Sorta makes me wonder....could Carp be Werder's source? lol

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2503705 said:
Let's hope he does.

I would take a Beck for Carp deal straight up right now.
I'm a Carpenter fan, but that deal wouldn't shock me.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I dunno why people think Carp is misplaced in this defense. He's very protected at the MO Lb of this defense.

He just stinks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2503728 said:
I dunno why people think Carp is misplaced in this defense. He's very protected at the MO Lb of this defense.

He just stinks.
People thought Bradie James was a waste and misplaced for years.

Not this year though. Maybe, just maybe it's that the guys ahead are pretty good.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I hope Carpenter saved up some of the money he got from his rookie contract because I doubt he'll get much from any team after his rookie contract is up. I put Carpenter right up there with Rod Hill, another former 1st rounder, as far as his "contributions" to the team. I can't wait for his current contract to be up. Let him try to find a job with another team...if he can, that is.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2503728 said:

He just stinks.

He's not physical enough. You will never see Carp make hits like Zach does. It's just not in him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;2503735 said:
People thought Bradie James was a waste and misplaced for years.

Not this year though. Maybe, just maybe it's that the guys ahead are pretty good.

Bradie was never this bad, though. He could at least get on the field.

Like DC says, Carp is just way too soft. You have to beat blocks and hit someone in any defense.

I dunno what happened to him from college, but something surely did.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2503740 said:
He's not physical enough. You will never see Carp make hits like Zach does. It's just not in him.

:starspin How true...how true. He always seems to be grabbing and trying to hang on to make a tackle instead of making a hit like Zach does.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2503740 said:

Wow. That video is the most telling thing I've seen regarding Carpenter to date.

I had this guy's back for a long time, but watching him earlier this year made me realize that he'll never have the aggression or physicality to play football at this level. He's just a wuss.

Too bad, too. He's a terrific athlete.

Two things that bother me though....

1. ...he was an outstanding player at OSU. What changed in the jump to the pros? Is it mental?

2. ...he has played very well in a few games. What's with the lack of effort in the rest?

I doubt we'll ever know.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hahahaha, was that Choice and Bennett? Holy cow, when the rookies are making fun of you, that isn't a good sign. No one on that team has any respect for him.

Remember during Hard Knocks when they were doing those drills and Columbo called him out, saying if you come through here like that one more time, I'll knock you out? I was thinking in my head, oh crap, it's on! No way is another man going to let someone call him a punk! Instead he didn't say crap, he just chuckled like the punk he is and said, hey, sometimes things get heated in practice.

I mean good lord, no one is saying fight the dude but at least say something back. He's a team mate, what's he going to do to you? Bobby is a bum. I actually always held out the hope he'd get a shot, I argued he wasn't getting enough of a chance, but after not seeing him even be able to rib a team mate, how is he going to ever get any respect against opponents?

I mean you let your own team mates call you a woman, call you "Barbie" without saying a word? If there's a snitch in that locker room, Bobby has all the prototypical signs of a snitcher.

Givincer

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2503669 said:

In what way doesn't he fit a 3-4 defense, though? If it's size - he's bigger than Thomas. The kid is 250 pounds.

I wouldn't mind Carpenter staying around. He's a good special teams player, and potentially a good player in the future. I don't think how he played in the Seattle playoff game was a complete fluke. I think that was a flash of what he can do, perhaps in the future.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A Beck for Carpenter deal sounds really good right about now.

And it would allow both teams to 'save face' which they often put a premium on when making these kind of deals.

Beck is #3 in Miami with no change in sight given Henne's spot as QB of the future and Pennington's solid play.

If Parcells feels he could get anything out of Carpenter, I can see this deal happening.

Regardless, I don't see the team having Carpenter stick around after this year.

He's a 4-3 WLB who's miscast in a 3-4.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Givincer;2503794 said:
In what way doesn't he fit a 3-4 defense, though? If it's size - he's bigger than Thomas. The kid is 250 pounds.

I wouldn't mind Carpenter staying around. He's a good special teams player, and potentially a good player in the future. I don't think how he played in the Seattle playoff game was a complete fluke. I think that was a flash of what he can do, perhaps in the future.

It's not about weight or size. It's about want and will.

He can't fight thru the garbage playing inside in a 3-4 and he doesn't have enough strenght to be an OLB in a 3-4.

He runs good, that's his best skill.

In a 4-3 the WLB usually is freed up(NO TE) so he gets a shot at just getting to the ball as fast as he can.

With that said there is a way he may fit into a 3-4. As a Nickel LB, but even in that situation he has to play inside most of the time and if a Guard/Center gets on him it's all over.

Reaction score
tomson75;2503770 said:
Wow. That video is the most telling thing I've seen regarding Carpenter to date.

I had this guy's back for a long time, but watching him earlier this year made me realize that he'll never have the aggression or physicality to play football at this level. He's just a wuss.

Too bad, too. He's a terrific athlete.

Two things that bother me though....

1. ...he was an outstanding player at OSU. What changed in the jump to the pros? Is it mental?

2. ...he has played very well in a few games. What's with the lack of effort in the rest?

I doubt we'll ever know.

He was the man at OSU.. here he is just another guy. He isn't as hungry as he was at OSU. Maybe the cash got to him or the fact that he isn't a starter affected him.

Jerry was right, he is a finesse player. He has the size. He could be a Kevin Greene but instead he is Kevin Blackestone. He is soft and timid.

He might be an above average players as a SOLB in a 4-3. He just doesn't fit the system.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCordsville Cowboy;2503825 said:
He was the man at OSU.. here he is just another guy. He isn't as hungry as he was at OSU. Maybe the cash got to him or the fact that he isn't a starter affected him.

Jerry was right, he is a finesse player. He has the size. He could be a Kevin Greene but instead he is Kevin Blackestone. He is soft and timid.

He might be an above average players as a SOLB in a 4-3. He just doesn't fit the system.

He was one of three men at OSU...they did have a pretty decent LB corp.

Personally I think it is mental with him.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2503839 said:
He was one of three men at OSU...they did have a pretty decent LB corp.

Personally I think it is mental with him.

I agree, and I blame Wade for part of it.

The dude earned a shot at competing for a starting job based on what he did at the end of his rookie year. But what happened? They drafted ANOTHER OLB, and then continued to move Carp from ILB to OLB then back to ILB.

No one can say he's had a fair shot with this team. He even had the best training camp of all our LBs and it somehow hasn't earned him any playing time on defense.

That said, even if the coaches aren't giving you a fair shot, you still have to stay aggressive and hit people.

That said part II, he isn't nearly as "Timid" as most people here would have you believe. IF he were that bad, he wouldn't even be on special teams.