Video: Poor Bobby Carpenter, lol.

Givincer

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2503812 said:
It's not about weight or size. It's about want and will.

He can't fight thru the garbage playing inside in a 3-4 and he doesn't have enough strenght to be an OLB in a 3-4.

He runs good, that's his best skill.

In a 4-3 the WLB usually is freed up(NO TE) so he gets a shot at just getting to the ball as fast as he can.

With that said there is a way he may fit into a 3-4. As a Nickel LB, but even in that situation he has to play inside most of the time and if a Guard/Center gets on him it's all over.

Want and will is attainable, I suppose, while size really is not.

So hopefully that comes along. It's not like he's exactly a detriment to the team, though, seeing as he's good on special teams. I think giving him another year or two to come along wouldn't hurt.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Rack;2503855 said:
I agree, and I blame Wade for part of it.

The dude earned a shot at competing for a starting job based on what he did at the end of his rookie year. But what happened? They drafted ANOTHER OLB, and then continued to move Carp from ILB to OLB then back to ILB.

No one can say he's had a fair shot with this team. He even had the best training camp of all our LBs and it somehow hasn't earned him any playing time on defense.

That said, even if the coaches aren't giving you a fair shot, you still have to stay aggressive and hit people.

That said part II, he isn't nearly as "Timid" as most people here would have you believe. IF he were that bad, he wouldn't even be on special teams.

He's on special teams because he's a backup LB and he's fast.

In all the time he's been playing special teams when did he ever make a big hit?

I can't recall one.

silver

Reaction score
I hated the pick then. Now that we're stuck with him I can see him developing into a serviceable if not outstanding ILB. In the little time he's had to play this year he's come trough. He came in for James in one game and laid a pretty nice lick on a ball carrier. Just as it took James quite some time to develop it too is taking this guy time to develop. Carps problem is that he came in as a 1st rounder. Some guys are late bloomers. We have a bunch on this team starting with the QB, RB, NT, ILB and SS. Had any of those come in as a 1st rounder we woulda run em off the team a long time ago

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2503747 said:
Bradie was never this bad, though. He could at least get on the field.

Like DC says, Carp is just way too soft. You have to beat blocks and hit someone in any defense.

I dunno what happened to him from college, but something surely did.

He played alongside AJ Hawk. He was injured part of his senior year when the Bucks went up against elite talent. He was always the guy who had to win his one on one battle since Hawk was the guy everyone had to account for in the middle

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2503728 said:
I dunno why people think Carp is misplaced in this defense. He's very protected at the MO Lb of this defense.

He just stinks.

It's relatively rare to see a 1st round defensive pick get so little playing time before coaches decide he can't play. It's also strange that the team reportedly declined to trade him in the offseason. Not sure what to make of it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Carpenter is an enigma. I don't think he's gotten a shot as Wade said so FWTW. I do think he has given up and his play on STs has at times been timid. I think he thinks he has no future here and has been riding out his time here waiting for a chance to play elsewhere.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2503875 said:
He's on special teams because he's a backup LB and he's fast.

In all the time he's been playing special teams when did he ever make a big hit?

I can't recall one.

Last time I saw Bobby Carpenter on the field was against Seattle in the playoffs.

Had no idea he was still seeing any action. Thats what happens when you never make any plays and never get your named called.

Then they showed our o-line laughing about him, and calling him Barbie. He has no credibility in that club house, can't believe people are still adamantly defending him here.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Givincer;2503869 said:
Want and will is attainable, I suppose, while size really is not.

So hopefully that comes along. It's not like he's exactly a detriment to the team, though, seeing as he's good on special teams. I think giving him another year or two to come along wouldn't hurt.

I would think it's more that Bobby wants out of Dallas.

Reaction score
Rack;2503855 said:
I agree, and I blame Wade for part of it.

The dude earned a shot at competing for a starting job based on what he did at the end of his rookie year. But what happened? They drafted ANOTHER OLB, and then continued to move Carp from ILB to OLB then back to ILB.

No one can say he's had a fair shot with this team. He even had the best training camp of all our LBs and it somehow hasn't earned him any playing time on defense.

That said, even if the coaches aren't giving you a fair shot, you still have to stay aggressive and hit people.

That said part II, he isn't nearly as "Timid" as most people here would have you believe. IF he were that bad, he wouldn't even be on special teams.

He is on special teams because he has to play somewhere.

Jerry isn't paying his first round pick to be inactive and putting his hair in a 'bun' on the sideline.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
What's disappointing is that Battle and Courtney Brown both have more defensive tackles than Carpenter.

I used to think he would come around but now I'm not so sure.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2504083 said:
can't believe people are still adamantly defending him here.

NOT bashing him is not the same thing as "Defending" him.