Video: Voch - Aldon Smith Film Session

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Since when do we ever look back 6 years ago to figure out what a guy can do now? Yea his 2015 film looks good...but it's 2020. Won't be able to tell how much he can do till he hits the field and that might be really limited till they start playing games.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Where do you suggest they get footage of him from? 2018?

No, no... I think he's arguing that no film should be looked at all. I mean it's from 2015, so it's safe to assume that film can only be found on VCR's.

Reaction score
What is most hope-inspiring about this film is that a lot of his sacks come from transitioning speed to power. Not just pure speed around the edge. So even if he’s lost a little burst (and he may not have if it’s true that he is 6 percent body fat, best of his career), his power can compensate.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Like him or not, Voch gives his opinion.

Thanks for this. Great length. Leverage. Balance. Closing speed. Hands. Guy was a beast. Is he a 4-3 end? Situational pass rusher? He is a free option at this point. Nothing but upside.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Where do you suggest they get footage of him from? 2018?

You can't. You can't predict what he will do this year based off tape from 6 years ago either. It can be hard enough looking at what a player does the previous year on a different team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, no... I think he's arguing that no film should be looked at all. I mean it's from 2015, so it's safe to assume that film can only be found on VCR's.
Yeah but it snows you what he was. I think it’s important to know what he was so you can know what expect when he’s out there. Though you have to factor in age and the lack of wear and tear too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can't. You can't predict what he will do this year based off tape from 6 years ago either. It can be hard enough looking at what a player does the previous year on a different team.
You can’t but this is the best you have to know what he once was. Some things should translate to 2020 for him. It’s safe to say he’s probably lost some speed and athleticism.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is most hope-inspiring about this film is that a lot of his sacks come from transitioning speed to power. Not just pure speed around the edge. So even if he’s lost a little burst (and he may not have if it’s true that he is 6 percent body fat, best of his career), his power can compensate.

And the hands, watch the hands. They were the best part of his game, and I can't see how they still wouldn't be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t but this is the best you have to know what he once was. Some things should translate to 2020 for him. It’s safe to say he’s probably lost some speed and athleticism.

It's the best source of information available right now. You don't just throw that away and then shrug your shoulders. But as repeatedly mentioned in the video, you also don't count on 'that San Francisco guy' from 2011. The truth lies somewhere in between.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Since when do we ever look back 6 years ago to figure out what a guy can do now? Yea his 2015 film looks good...but it's 2020. Won't be able to tell how much he can do till he hits the field and that might be really limited till they start playing games.

Since today. You know, its April 2nd so yeah, that's kinda significant, I guess.......

In a week, the winds might change and then all the believers will be on to the next pot of gold player.

If only I sold Vacuum Cleaners. I feel like I could make a million or two on this board.

:laugh:

quickccc

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Great length. Leverage. Balance. Closing speed. Hands. Guy was a beast. Is he a 4-3 end? Situational pass rusher? He is a free option at this point. Nothing but upside.

i can see us changing from 4-3 to 3-4 hybrid with both Randy and Alden (assuming makes roster/getting plus reps) rushing from both sides
and that's a definite change up as Dlaw doesn't seem to rush as well from right ends as he does at left end, and in the nickel- middle.
it would be a new work for Gregory as i've never seen him rushing from left side either.

But Alden definitely has this versatile right/left ability and experience.
i think it's gonna take awhile for Alden to get back into decent playing form, cuz of such a long layoff from the game, but i'd much rather gamble and trust going
with his natural ability than going with scrubs like guys such as Kerry Hyder,Joe Jackson, Dorace Armstrong.

he doesn't seem as lightning quick off snap of the ball as Quinn and Gregory, but his octopus like arms and hands are so strong, active
and disruptive to OTs as he gets into their bodies quickly while not allowing them to get into his own body.
In these films sessions seems like he is more overpowering these blockers than speed-racing right by them.

He's slippery in his moves and change of direction and how quickly he is sheds and gets off of those blocks -en route to the QB.
I'm not as on top of Alden's run defense, as i heard his first year or so, he was playing only in nickel rush downs than regular downs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
i can see us changing from 4-3 to 3-4 hybrid with both Randy and Alden (assuming makes roster/getting plus reps) rushing from both sides
and that's a definite change up as Dlaw doesn't seem to rush as well from right ends as he does at left end, and in the nickel- middle.
it would be a new work for Gregory as i've never seen him rushing from left side either.

But Alden definitely has this versatile right/left ability and experience.
i think it's gonna take awhile for Alden to get back into decent playing form, cuz of such a long layoff from the game, but i'd much rather gamble and trust going
with his natural ability than going with scrubs like guys such as Kerry Hyder,Joe Jackson, Dorace Armstrong.

he doesn't seem as lightning quick off snap of the ball as Quinn and Gregory, but his octopus like arms and hands are so strong, active
and disruptive to OTs as he gets into their bodies quickly while not allowing them to get into his own body.
In these films sessions seems like he is more overpowering these blockers than speed-racing right by them.

He's slippery in his moves and change of direction and how quickly he is sheds and gets off of those blocks -en route to the QB.
I'm not as on top of Alden's run defense, as i heard his first year or so, he was playing only in nickel rush downs than regular downs.

Armstrong is actually a much better pass rusher from the DE Edge then what I've ever seen from Smith. I'm telling you guys, he's never been all that impressive at DE. His best years, by far, were when he was lined up as an Elephant in a 34.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
And the hands, watch the hands. They were the best part of his game, and I can't see how they still wouldn't be.

While this signing definitely should not prevent us from adding more talent in the draft... it is a high upside pickup.

Besides the raw talent that is there— by all accounts thus far— he is motivated and focused on taking advantage of this opportunity.

Hopefully he is able to maximize the snaps he gets— but this could end up being an amazing win/win situation for Aldon and the Cowboys. I love that Tomsula is involved in this decision and am hopeful that if anybody could provide the coaching support Aldon needs— it’s probably him.