Video: Voch Lombardi dropped Keanu Neal film

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Getting Jaylon off the field in passing situations was my number one key for the off-season. More work to be done but that alone will help more than people think. Dude was the easiest mark for underneath throws that every QB can make and pressure can't really effect in time. Kept the chains moving too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Neal looks like a liability in pass coverage. The one thing the Cowboys have lacked for a long time is a Safety with range and instincts. To me, signing Neal changes nothing. They need to look for a safety in the first 2 rounds in the draft.
Hes better than what we got in coverage lol. I expect though this is why we are looking at Hooker and Kazee. Neal is a guy that wont be tied down to any 1 position. Hes a swiss army knife.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Voch posted some tape that would give an idea of how Keanu Neal would fit in the Cowboys.

I like hybrid guys with position flex. Much of Woody's value was position flex, allowing us to run different formations out of the same personnel package. SS/LB/SlotCorner. Has there ever been another player who could do all 3 as well?

When we first drafted Jaylon, I was hoping that he could be a flex LB/SS. His biggest projected skill from his college days was man coverage. He had the speed and hips for it. But he never recovered those skills. Sad.

Neal seems like a legitimate flex guy, and his coach should know. More SS/LB. He would be especially useful in the red zone, where straight line speed is largely nullified. Teams should sweat red zone performance more, IMO. One of the reasons to get the big beef at 1T.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Hard to believe hes so young at 25. Seems like hes been around 6 years or so lol. We got a steal IMO.
I really like this signing. Keanu “Matrix” Neal will be a difference maker.

He’s like half Dexter Coakley, half safety. Love it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas certainly needs willing tacklers on that defense especially considering 54 does everything he can not to tackle.

I'm sick that Jaylon is still on the team. Getting Neal for WLB (sometimes) should have reduced the use of Jaylon a lot. Should be LVE and Neal for true nickel situations.

I don't see it making any sense, and likely we're going to do stupid things to keep Jaylon and his 7.2mil salary on the field.

Ugh.

Jaylon still at LB means what, Neal is on the bench, or he's playing SS and we're moving Wilson to FS?

Ugh.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Hes better than what we got in coverage lol. I expect though this is why we are looking at Hooker and Kazee. Neal is a guy that wont be tied down to any 1 position. Hes a swiss army knife.
Neal is a physical runner and tackler coming down hill, and can be disguised as a safety.
He knows Quinns defense.
Kazee is a nice headsy baller in the secondary.
He knows Quinns defense.
Both can be instrumental in setting the defense and communicating what Quinn needs done, I believe the value of this intangible is being over looked.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Neal is a physical runner and tackler coming down hill, and can be disguised as a safety.
He knows Quinns defense.
He knows Quinns defense.
Both can be instrumental in setting the defense and communicating what Quinn needs done, I believe the value of this intangible is being over looked.
I trust Kazee more than Hooker to implement what Quinn wants. I agree. My fear would be Donny wilson gets put into a bad position where he isnt as useful to the team. I think its a dire mistake if they do that. Leave wilson at strong. Let him start. He has showed he can do it and he makes plays. He is a spark plug. ANY plan that doesnt involve wilson starting is a terrible plan. Its unfair to him. He has worked his tail off to get to where he is. At least let him win the job.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He knows Quinns defense.
He knows Quinns defense.
agree. Neal believes he can make any play and thats part of the battle. He aims to hurt you when he tackles. HE also goes after the ball everytime he tackles. His ball skills have been greatly ignored I feel. He seems to have enough skills to cover IMO. I see no reason why we couldnt start him at FS alongside Wilson. Maybe move him around to WLB as a hybrid too.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I trust Kazee more than Hooker to implement what Quinn wants. I agree. My fear would be Donny wilson gets put into a bad position where he isnt as useful to the team. I think its a dire mistake if they do that. Leave wilson at strong. Let him start. He has showed he can do it and he makes plays. He is a spark plug. ANY plan that doesnt involve wilson starting is a terrible plan. Its unfair to him. He has worked his tail off to get to where he is. At least let him win the job.
Completely understand your concern on that front. I too wonder how they're going to handle this.