Waiting 25 years - half way there?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Superbowl really is a lottery of sorts. If you look at the full list, there's really no guarantee that you will get back anytime soon. The best thing you can do is win your division, and improve your odds. Imagine if you're Detroit, and being stuck as the 2nd or 3rd best team in your division for 30 years because of Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers? That is the worse case scenario. We really need to strike while the division is down...

Or you can cheat like the Patriots. :lmao:

Adreme

Reaction score
The 25 years of futility is all because on one man - Jerry Jones. His inability to see that he really is a horrendous GM has cost this team dearly. Let’s hope his son isn’t an idiot like him.

I mean lately they have been good at half the job, getting top end talent. He has been less good at picking coaches lately which has sort of caused the problem.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Your point is well taken don't get me wrong. IIts just that the previous coach of the Cowboys won a good amount of division games.

Just didn't seem to win too well outside the division or post season.

So while I understand the starting point will always be to win the division I think after a decade of winning divisional games but nothing else surely was enough time to set standards towards loftier goals.

Your remark concerning QBs, especially the current one in Dallas, the division being down, and the newly hired head coach are all negative factors to be concerned with as well imo.

That's actually what's frustrating and my point.

We're not the Detroit Lions. We're not the Cleveland Browns or the Miami Dolphins. These are teams that are stuck behind perennial winners or a HOF QB, or just straight up do not have the talent to compete for a Lombardi. The simple fact is you can't win a SB if you can't get to the playoffs. We do not have that type of divisional roadblock in front of us.

Yet, you look at how things have shaken out, and regardless of that level of regular season success we have found a way to get lumped in with them.

How can a team with a chance to win the Division Title every year get stuck in a cycle such as this for over 25 years? The Cowboys are the white elephant in the room. The team that doesn't seem to belong on the list. In fact, in the last 25 years we could have had a New England like stranglehold on the NFC East, because the other teams have been flat out up and down too.

Yet, our organization structure has screwed the whole thing up not by talent but by Coaching. And so, when people ask questions like, how long should a team have to wait? You really shouldn't have to wait long. Not when you're consistently getting to the Playoffs. The Garrett decision no doubtly cost us a Sueprbowl in my eyes. We missed our turn.

75boyz

Reaction score
That's actually what's frustrating and my point.

We're not the Detroit Lions. We're not the Cleveland Browns or the Miami Dolphins. These are teams that are stuck behind perennial winners or a HOF QB, or just straight up do not have the talent to compete for a Lombardi. The simple fact is you can't win a SB if you can't get to the playoffs. We do not have that type of divisional roadblock in front of us.

Yet, you look at how things have shaken out, and regardless of that level of regular season success we have found a way to get lumped in with them.

How can a team with a chance to win the Division Title every year get stuck in a cycle such as this for over 25 years? The Cowboys are the white elephant in the room. The team that doesn't seem to belong on the list. In fact, in the last 25 years we could have had a New England like stranglehold on the NFC East, because the other teams have been flat out up and down too.

Yet, our organization structure has screwed the whole thing up not by talent but by Coaching. And so, when people ask questions like, how long should a team have to wait? You really shouldn't have to wait long. Not when you're consistently getting to the Playoffs. The Garrett decision no doubtly cost us a Sueprbowl in my eyes. We missed our turn.

No doubt bro. Outstanding summary, I agree.

I didn't tie in the subtle inferences such as Miami waiting behind Brady, Cleveland behind Big Ben and your aforementioned Lions behind Favre/Rodgers example. There wasn't a HOF QB in the way. I get it now. Your entire post is spot on with the empirical evidence to back it up.

Really strong post my friend and a critical perspective that should be well worth discussing as an overall failure by the FO to get the job done for all the simple reasons you mentioned.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Seems like the Browns and Lions have been around forever and they’ve never been to a Super Bowl.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If it does take another 25 years for the Cowboys to reach the Super Bowl Jerry won’t be around to see it.

JayFord

Reaction score
Im not sure if imma see the cowboys go back and if i do ill be 90 years old in the nursing home and the nurse comes in saying

your cowboys are going to the superbowl

and ill reply “HUUUUHHHH !!!! The round boys!!!!”