Want an alarmist thread? Mosley on Romo today

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Matt just called in to GAC and said that he heard just as recently as last night that Romo and his reps are very far apart from Jerry and Co. on his contract, and the gap may even be widening.

He also said that he feels like if something doesn't get done by the bye week, it won't get done this year.

Plus, he said he believes that if Tony is franchised, he's not going to sign a long-term contract here.

So connecting the dots... He says we better get something done in the next three weeks if we want Romo here for very long... Or at least a happy Romo.

Just reporting what was said. (And Matt is pretty good friends with Tony.)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Good. Let's get some blood boiling in here.

Me, I'm not too worried about it. I expected the Front Office to come in low and Tony's agents to ask for the moon. After that you expect the posturing and the give and take.

This is early. I want the deal done and I want the man paid, and I believe it will be and he will be.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mort actually said something similar on ESPN Sunday Countdown.

If anyone thought negotiations would be easy, then they were fooling themselves.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I'm still not worried. When was the last time a franchise QB in his prime was let go because his team couldn't work out a contract with him? Plus the Cowboys have a good track record of keeping their best players.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hasn't Jerry already stated that he won't re-sign him until after the season?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I've never had doubts about JJ paying someone the money if he feels he deserves it. I still think he believes it's still too early to guarantee him a huge amount of money, and I really think he's waiting to see how he does against NE and the tougher part of the schedule that is coming up.

All Romo has to do is continue to do his job and everything will work itself out.

theanimal23

Reaction score
How many times can you franchise a player? I know franchising a player usually leaves a bad taste in their mouth, but I'm curious to know if there is a rule on it.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Norm Hitzges was saying on OTL that the Boys have a deadline of November 5 to get the deal done and put some of his bonus number to this season's cap. That's one week after our bye. I expect it to be done during the bye week... possibly announced that Sunday.

They have to be at the early stages of this negotiating process... at least early considering how well he's been playing pretty consistently now. You never expect the two sides to be very close on first offers, especiall with someone who hasn't played 16 games in the NFL yet.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1685308 said:
Matt just called in to GAC and said that he heard just as recently as last night that Romo and his reps are very far apart from Jerry and Co. on his contract, and the gap may even be widening.

He also said that he feels like if something doesn't get done by the bye week, it won't get done this year.

Plus, he said he believes that if Tony is franchised, he's not going to sign a long-term contract here.

So connecting the dots... He says we better get something done in the next three weeks if we want Romo here for very long... Or at least a happy Romo.

Just reporting what was said. (And Matt is pretty good friends with Tony.)

And then panic ensued.

It is the same now as it was before.

Do your best to get something done during the season. If not, the tag is still there. You don't want to use it, it is bad if you do, but it is there. But there is nothing that indicates either side is incredibly ignorant enough to make a match made in heaven go sour.

There is nothing to indicate there is any acrimony besides active imaginations. If Romo was intelligent, and I think he is, he understands Jones' reluctance and realizes he has it better here with a big contract (which he will get) than he would anywhere else.

Any rational person with an ounce of business sense would have approached this just like Mister Jones. But do not let that stand in the way of panicky fans.

wesleyc288

Believer
Reaction score
Does anyone really think that Jerry would let the franchise QB that we have been looking for since Aikman left walk? No way in Hell that We dont pay him, Jerry will pay whatever it takes to keep him. He's going Nowhere

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
peplaw06;1685333 said:
Norm Hitzges was saying on OTL that the Boys have a deadline of November 5 to get the deal done and put some of his bonus number to this season's cap. That's one week after our bye. I expect it to be done during the bye week... possibly announced that Sunday.

Which fits the business pattern we have done. We typically pick periods of inactivity to get contracts done. We did it with James very much the same way. It is more significant both to the player and organization.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I guess the only news is that Romo wants this done and is going to be angry if it isn't.

I know everyone likes to say that being franchised is no big deal, that the player is still getting a ton of money. But the players never seem to see it that way. Just look at all the examples of it... Samuel being the latest.

Maybe Jerry thinks Tony is such a great guy, he doesn't care if he's franchised. But maybe he'd be wrong about that, like he was about Ellis.

I think it will get done, too, and probably soon. But I think Terry Bradshaw had a pretty good analogy on Sunday. He said Jerry was like the guy who's been divorced two or three times, and then when he finally meets "the one", he can't quite trust himself to pull the trigger on a long-term relationship. Even though he was kind of being funny, that's probably not too far off the mark.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1685350 said:
I guess the only news is that Romo wants this done and is going to be angry if it isn't.

I know everyone likes to say that being franchised is no big deal, that the player is still getting a ton of money. But the players never seem to see it that way. Just look at all the examples of it... Samuel being the latest.

Maybe Jerry thinks Tony is such a great guy, he doesn't care if he's franchised. But maybe he'd be wrong about that, like he was about Ellis.

I think it will get done, too, and probably soon. But I think Terry Bradshaw had a pretty good analogy on Sunday. He said Jerry was like the guy who's been divorced two or three times, and then when he finally meets "the one", he can't quite trust himself to pull the trigger on a long-term relationship. Even though he was kind of being funny, that's probably not too far off the mark.
Well, what they miss out on is huge signing bonuses that create long-term security.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Romo will be the QB for the Boys for a while. Jones is not shy about opening his wallet if he thinks or knows that a player will help the franchise. While we are at it Garrett will also be with the Boys for a while, he is smart to know a couple of years as OC with a successful team will guarantee him a big pay day when he eventually becomes a head coach. Tony Saprano, on the other hand, might not be here too long.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm not panicing, I just think it's extremely stupid. You're going to end up signing him long term anyway ... you know it, Romo knows it, everyone knows it. Why not do it now for a discount when you can fit a lot of it in this year's cap? Why make things so hard for yourself in the future? What's the alternative? Another 7 years wandering aimlessly through the QB wilderness? You've had him for 5 years, if you haven't evaluated him by now then you're not very good at your job. Honestly, I believe if Romo had Jerry's beloved "pedigree" he would have given him the Troy Aikman/Leigh Steinberg blank check treatment by now.

If he's still not locked up longterm by next year, imagine the leverage he's is going to have. You can't use the tag on him and DWare both (or Newman). Think Jerry is going to want to open up the new stadium in 2009 with a QB holdout on his hands? By that point, several more QB's will have signed new contracts that will have raised the bar. They're not going to start signing for cheaper. How much guaranteed is Romo going to demand when he's got Jerry over the barrel then? $50 million? $70 million?

I assume the exclusive tag for QB's will be similar to this year ... 12.6 million. All up front. That means after Romo's tag and our two first round draft picks, our salary cap space is pretty much spent for this upcoming offseason. I hope we don't have the need to find one more "missing piece" in free agency for a Superbowl run in 2008. You could have had him at a discount in August if you had a little faith in your own eyes, now every week that passes he'll costs you more and more.

heavyg

Reaction score
I too think Jerry will get this done soon. But I also have to say that I HATE the salary cap. I know thats not a very popular opinion but oh well. A salary cap is like telling Mcdonalds they can only spend a certain amount because mom and pop down the street can't keep up. Its just not American :bang2:

sago1

Reaction score
Romo and Mosley may be pretty good friends but I'd be surprised that Romo would discuss on-negotiations with him since he'd have to know it would get out.

Anyway, we'll just have to sit and wait at least until the bye week in hopes it gets done. Even if it doesn't get done until the end of the season, there is still plenty of time after that to seal the deal before FA begins.

The 2 big problems I see:
1. Romo's people asking for outageous monies (excess Manning) that Jerry can in no way accept, or
2. Jerry is lowballing Romo because he still sees Romo through the prism of an undrafted player.

Anyway, despite what Mosley supposedly saying I'll stick accept Jerry's supposedly view that Romo will be a Cowboy for rest of his football career, etc.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i dont think JJ will pay him "watever he wants" as some people are sayiing. Jones will make sure he and Romo both get a fair deal...