Want an alarmist thread? Mosley on Romo today

FCBarca

Reaction score
Mansta54;1685310 said:
JJ will pay him, Romo is going nowhere...

Yeah, this means little, IMHO...If this is the biggest concern this season, the club will be fine...Jerry has never lost a player over these kind of issues, particularly a QB

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1685374 said:
I'm not panicing, I just think it's extremely stupid. You're going to end up signing him long term anyway ... you know it, Romo knows it, everyone knows it. Why not do it now for a discount when you can fit a lot of it in this year's cap? Why make things so hard for yourself in the future? What's the alternative? Another 7 years wandering aimlessly through the QB wilderness? You've had him for 5 years, if you haven't evaluated him by now then you're not very good at your job. Honestly, I believe if Romo had Jerry's beloved "pedigree" he would have given him the Troy Aikman/Leigh Steinberg blank check treatment by now.
Yep, some of us were saying that Jerry should have done it in the summer.

I don't really understand why Jerry wanted to wait, either. He said, literally and figuratively, that Romo was our QB when he passed on Quinn. So why wait to pay him? Except for the point Bradshaw made.

Now, it's like a stock you want to buy that runs away from you. You could have bought it at 50 a few weeks ago, but you hesitated, and now it's at 70. You can't help thinking that you could have gotten it so much cheaper just a little while ago.. But sometimes, they never come back.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Jerry should have been smart enough to get this done in camp. Instead he rolled the dice and it's looking like he may have lost 20 million. He could have had Tony for 7-10 mill guaranteed this summer in all likelyhood. Now it may cost him 30+. Oh well, not my money. In any case, it will get done at some point. Jerry MAY not be the best GM in the world of sport, but he's not that dumb as to not resign Romo. He's gotten 4 years worth of developement and a franchise QB for very little cash and NO draft pick.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Let him walk...! If Romo does not want to be a Dallas Cowboy?

See ya later, Romo...to bad JJ would not cave in to your demands...besides, you're not all that anyway. Another QB will come along....maybe...

:laugh2:
What a loser!!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1685350 said:
I guess the only news is that Romo wants this done and is going to be angry if it isn't.

And you know this how?

Because Mosley says so?

I know everyone likes to say that being franchised is no big deal, that the player is still getting a ton of money. But the players never seem to see it that way. Just look at all the examples of it... Samuel being the latest.

It is not a big deal. But it is there for a reason. Usually in cases where the player is being unreasonable. And if Romo becomes unreasonable, then use it.

Maybe Jerry thinks Tony is such a great guy, he doesn't care if he's franchised. But maybe he'd be wrong about that, like he was about Ellis.

Caving in to that imbecile was the worst thing Jerry Jones could have ever done. It basically demonstrated he could be played and by an average player at that. You do have a bit of a point here.

I think it will get done, too, and probably soon. But I think Terry Bradshaw had a pretty good analogy on Sunday. He said Jerry was like the guy who's been divorced two or three times, and then when he finally meets "the one", he can't quite trust himself to pull the trigger on a long-term relationship. Even though he was kind of being funny, that's probably not too far off the mark.

I think the fruitless search Jones had for a QB will get this deal done. I am not that concerned over it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Dakota;1685401 said:
Jerry should have been smart enough to get this done in camp. Instead he rolled the dice and it's looking like he may have lost 20 million. He could have had Tony for 7-10 mill guaranteed this summer in all likelyhood. Now it may cost him 30+. Oh well, not my money. In any case, it will get done at some point. Jerry MAY not be the best GM in the world of sport, but he's not that dumb as to not resign Romo. He's gotten 4 years worth of developement and a franchise QB for very little cash and NO draft pick.
Romo would've never signed for 7-10m guaranteed. I think Schaub got 20m and he's done less than Romo.

So he was getting 20m easy. The question is if he can get 30+ like Peyton or 26m like Bulger.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
heavyg;1685380 said:
I too think Jerry will get this done soon. But I also have to say that I HATE the salary cap. I know thats not a very popular opinion but oh well. A salary cap is like telling Mcdonalds they can only spend a certain amount because mom and pop down the street can't keep up. Its just not American :bang2:

Yeah I hate salary caps when I cheer for teams with money and love them when I don't ;)

I hate the fact we make all the money to support parasites like New Orleans, Buffalo etc

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1685428 said:
Yeah I hate salary caps when I cheer for teams with money and love them when I don't ;)

I hate the fact we make all the money to support parasites like New Orleans, Buffalo etc

What are you talking about? What money? Canadian money? Pesos? American money?

:confused:

Romo don't want any money...he wants game! ;)

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I heard or read somewhere a couple of days ago that the two sides are really close on the amount of money. But they are pretty far apart in the way the contract is structured. It's got to be done in such a way that it doesn't preclude us from fitting other talented players we have under the salary cap.

I'm positive it will get done. Like others have said, JJ doesn't let players he wants to keep get away.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
Hostile;1685314 said:
Good. Let's get some blood boiling in here.

Me, I'm not too worried about it. I expected the Front Office to come in low and Tony's agents to ask for the moon. After that you expect the posturing and the give and take.

This is early. I want the deal done and I want the man paid, and I believe it will be and he will be.

Agreed. Is there a bigger non-story in the realm of Cowboys news or what? I respect Mosley's insight into the situation, but c'mon already.
Romo is not going anywhere. I don't know how many times Jerry has to say it to the media. He wants him to be the future QB and Romo wants to be the future QB of the orgainzation. A deal will get done.

"I hope we're all in agreeance here..."
- Fred Durst, Modern-Day Poet?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
When both parties want a deal to happen, it usually gets done.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
5Stars;1685439 said:
What are you talking about? What money? Canadian money? Pesos? American money?

:confused:

Romo don't want any money...he wants game! ;)

given our dollar is worth more, he probably wants CDN dollars now :)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1685454 said:
given our dollar is worth more, he probably wants CDN dollars now :)

:laugh2:

Yeah, Romo wants to go up there and play for some high school teams?

Got it!

(stupid cowboy fans)
:cool:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Check the exchange rates, as of yesterday, our dollar was worth more than the American peso :cool:

Therefore, he will ask to be paid either in Euros or CDN dollars :cool:

Wood

Reaction score
honestly, Romo needs to have a down week (with cowboy still winning) to calm his agent. This is not the time to be negotiating with Romo agent because Romo is playing on a level that Joe Montana would be proud of.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Wood;1685490 said:
honestly, Romo needs to have a down week (with cowboy still winning) to calm his agent. This is not the time to be negotiating with Romo agent because Romo is playing on a level that Joe Montana would be proud of.

Buffalo 32 - Cowboys - 28

Sorry citizens...

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
If there is one area where you have to have faith in Jerry Jones, it is when it comes to money and contracts. Jones is the furthest thing from being cheap. He is a master salesman, and he is not at all scared of paying fair market value or even above. He is a risk taker and a shrewd forecaster. He has the pulse on the league and the salary cap etc. He has many professionals and experts working for him.

If Jerry Jones can bite the bullet and go to Greg Ellis's house one Saturday morning and make the SoupPuss Ellis happy, Jerry Jones can sure as heck shell out his millions for the GrinningManiac Romo. As someone pointed out, it will be a cold day in hell before Jerry Jones lets the next franchise quarterback after Troy Aikman walk outta here over a million bucks a season difference in expectations.

Here is how it will work:

Romo's agent: "We are 2 million dollars apart per season"
Jerry Jones and his sons and minions: "We'll give you 4 Million more a year; $1 million if QB rating is over 100; $1 million if we have a winning record; $1 million if we win a playoff game; $1 million if we go to the superbowl. Oh by the way, Mr. Agent, you and your client know that as the QB of the Dallas Cowboys, North America's most valuable sports franchise and the one and only America's Team, that Romo will make an extra $2 million in endorsements a year for having a blue star on his helmet. Think about that for a minute!
Romo and Romo's Agent: Can I borrow your pen!

LarryCanadian

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;1685381 said:
Romo and Mosley may be pretty good friends but I'd be surprised that Romo would discuss on-negotiations with him since he'd have to know it would get out.

I think Mosley is just speculating here, Romo said not too long ago that he's not involved in the contract talks, all he does is wait for his agent to give him the Cowboy's offer