Was it just me? Or did Julius Jones play very well?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
rysko said:
i thought jj played great.. on the other hand marion barber played terrible... dropping passes, allowing a sack, etc.

Barber played very well. He was standing up defenders most of the night....when you are a RB defending the blitz as much as he did, you are gonna let someone through. Fact of life.

As far as dropped passes....lots of that is on Bledsoe. The guy just can't throw to the RB on the short unless it is over his head. Even the 24 yard catch had to be leapt for.

Nevermind his second efforts on the goalline stances and the hard runs he had. Barber was fine.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
let the guy have two decent games in a row then maybe he will have proven something. he was actually running through tackles. he wasnt running into linemen, even when he did run into one he didn't keep pushing on them like he ussually does, he actually moved around them. unless he can learn to string good games along he is still over rated.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
stealth said:
let the guy have two decent games in a row then maybe he will have proven something. he was actually running through tackles. he wasnt running into linemen, even when he did run into one he didn't keep pushing on them like he ussually does, he actually moved around them. unless he can learn to string good games along he is still over rated.

You're ridulous. There are at least two 10 yard runs where he broke about 3 tackles and wouldn't go down. He was effective in the first game too, but for some reason we wouldn't run more in the game.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
You're ridulous. There are at least two 10 yard runs where he broke about 3 tackles and wouldn't go down. He was effective in the first game too, but for some reason we wouldn't run more in the game.
i said he broke tackles while alluding to that not being something he normally does. i didn't deny him breaking tackles.

he played well, as good as I have ever seen him play. my problem is he doesn't bring the same thing to the table every sunday and to me that's worse than a consistant guy that might not ever have flashes, but I know what to expect come sunday.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Jones has an unusual ability to squirt thru head-on tackles, particularly for someone his size. He must have a very strong lower body...

I remember even the Commanders defensive players mentioning this very thing last season. They have alot of respect for his ability to get yds after contact...

JeffInDC

Reaction score
SteveOS said:
To me, he really showed a lot. I mean he really pushed for that extra yard, it seemed like, every time he had the ball. He unfortunately fumbled that one time, on a great play by Taylor, but other than that, I really think he had a solid game. Didn't quite get 100 yards, but he just seemed to be amped up for this one.

Jones had 2 carries for 23 yards & 1 reception for 43 yards wiped out by penalties. Yeah, he was ballin' last night.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
SteveOS said:
To me, he really showed a lot. I mean he really pushed for that extra yard, it seemed like, every time he had the ball. He unfortunately fumbled that one time, on a great play by Taylor, but other than that, I really think he had a solid game. Didn't quite get 100 yards, but he just seemed to be amped up for this one.

I agree with you.....JJ hit the hole hard and fast with lots of leg drive. He for sure have 2nd effort last night.....:bow:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
stealth said:
he played well, as good as I have ever seen him play.

It was a nice game, but it was FAR from the best he has ever played. Seattle, Chicago and the Giants in 2004 and Carolina last year were much better games for Julius.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
It was a nice game, but it was FAR from the best he has ever played. Seattle, Chicago and the Giants in 2004 and Carolina last year were much better games for Julius.

I agree, but the one thing that stood out for me was his leg drive after contact. I think he's fighting harder for yards now rather then what is given to him.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SteveOS said:

Right now, he's 11th in the league in rushing, averaging 83 yards per game and 4.5 yards per carry... he's 5th in the NFC, and has fewer carries than anybody else in the top 6...

That'll do, for a start...

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

matter of preference, I woudl prefer him play like he did last night every game he plays in, than have him have flashy games every one in 5

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Right now, he's 11th in the league in rushing, averaging 83 yards per game and 4.5 yards per carry... he's 5th in the NFC, and has fewer carries than anybody else in the top 6...

That'll do, for a start...

With potential to have a big game against the Titans to improve upon those numbers...

ravidubey

Reaction score
Eddie said:
The prettiest run was Tyson Thompson outflanking Andre Carter to the outside. Carter had him trapped and cornered, and Tyson put on the afterburners and beat him to the outside.

Not sure if the play was called back, but it was pretty.

He needs more carries.

CoCo

Reaction score
Tyson Thompson's run was awesome. I can't wait to go back and watch that one again.

I know he's no Reggie Bush but getting that corner actually reminded me of Bush's TD vs Texas last year where his ability to make the corner and stay inbounds just took your breath away.

That was really something. You could even hear it in Al Michaels voice.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think Julius has quickly become one of the most underrated players around here. People seem to forget how good he can be. He's still a guy who is a threat to score every single time that he touches the ball, and he's a player that opposing defenses really seem to key on. Despite that, he usually still churns out yards when he's in the game. Many times, the yards he gets just aren't enough to please a lot of fans.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Eddie said:
The prettiest run was Tyson Thompson outflanking Andre Carter to the outside. Carter had him trapped and cornered, and Tyson put on the afterburners and beat him to the outside.

Not sure if the play was called back, but it was pretty.

Yeah that was nice and yes it was called back on the Colombo trip.

Re Jones, very solid game. In my view, his best run was on the screen pass that was called back.

What I liked is that he seemed to drag tacklers last night and not go down on the first hit as he is wont to do at times.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Right before he fumbled he was inserting Dagger in the heart of the Commanders.... fumbles are unacceptable... ask BP... Barber impresses me MORE than Julius....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CoCo said:
Tyson Thompson's run was awesome. I can't wait to go back and watch that one again.

I know he's no Reggie Bush but getting that corner actually reminded me of Bush's TD vs Texas last year where his ability to make the corner and stay inbounds just took your breath away.

That was really something. You could even hear it in Al Michaels voice.
You have to remember though, Thompson is MUCH bigger than Bush. A couple of inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier.

He has a rare combination of size and speed. I hope he really develops into a nice player.

kartr

Reaction score
SteveOS said:

I've always believed in Julius. Funny how people question him, but blame the O-line for Bledsoe's struggles. Jones always delivers when the line blocks well.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Julius ran well, if not for the runs called back he wouldve had 146 yards or better and his ypc wouldve been higher too.