Was Larry Allen or Bob Lilly the greatest cowboy

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No
I know the QB's and a running back or two, maybe even a CB and safety would inter into this discussion, but theses two were world class.

who you got? it's the offseason for us at least.

Discuss.:flagwave:
There really isn't a CB or safety that should enter the discussion.

Kudos for including Larry Allen, who an argument can be made for being the best O-Lineman ever. Most people don't consider O-Linemen in this kind of discussion.

The candidates in my mind are Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly, Emmitt Smith and Larry Allen. Personally I would go with Staubach. Larry Allen falls to the end because despite his status as a player, he was never the face of the franchise the way the others were.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
IMO It's hard to argue against the all time leading rusher in NFL history...
Agreed but, who was blocking for most of that? Trenches win the war and special personal are in the spot light because of that. :)

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Tough. Both were involved in the glory years of the Cowboys in different eras.

Allen is one of the best OL to ever play the game. Versatile player that had power and agility to dominate anyone in the first or 2nd level. Absolute unit with freakish athletics.
7x All-pro.
Of course cowboy fans remember his chase down of the INT in the Saints game.

#1 in probowl visits by any Cowboy

Lilly was our first draft pick, and was the main man in the Doomsday defense. All-NFL for 6 years in a row.
All-pro 7 times.
Had the memorable sack of Bob Griese in 1971 SB. Was another "freak" of an athlete at the time who had agility and strength and could make tackles sideline to sideline. And I've read he never really lifted weights till his 6th year in the NFL.
196 consecutive games played.

Due to legacy and what Lilly did for the Cowboys from the getgo, I have him slightly higher than Allen.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel obliged to say much depends upon what one's definition of "great" is.

Is it restricted entirely to football or does life outside of football also count?

If it's greatly a matter of what counts on the field, they were both excellent!

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Allen is one of the best OL to ever play the game
Exactly. All a player can do is be the very best they can be and Larry is on the short list of players in NFL history who can say that they excelled and dominated at multiple positions over an extended career. Lets be clear, dominated isn't really a strong enough word. HOFers openly talk about being afraid of the man and trying to avoid him. That is the highest praise any player can get. Game over.

Trajan

Reaction score
Most difficult discussion ever.

I'm too young and missed Roger Staubach and Lily. Grew up seeing Emmitt Smith and Larry Allen. Emmitt is obviously one of the greatest RB's in history. Allen is one of the most dominate linemen in history. I would give Larry Allen a slight edge, remember him demolishing DT's.....but Emmitt would take over games too.

Impossible choice.

Carson

Reaction score
Most difficult discussion ever.

I'm too young and missed Roger Staubach and Lily. Grew up seeing Emmitt Smith and Larry Allen. Emmitt is obviously one of the greatest RB's in history. Allen is one of the most dominate linemen in history. I would give Larry Allen a slight edge, remember him demolishing DT's.....but Emmitt would take over games too.

Impossible choice.

Enmitt was amazing. But man. Larry put fear in NFL defensive lineman.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lilly was Mr. Cowboy because he was the original Cowboy and he was a Cowboy for his entire career.

Roger would come in 2nd but he was Captain Comeback. And Walt Garrison, the first real cowboy would get consideration.

Allen? Emmitt? No, they played for other teams so they cannot be ever considered Mr. Cowboy, same goes for Dorsett.

Probably not the right way to look at it but they gotta wear the colors to the end. Going to another team is like your girlfriend or wife, or both, wearing a sexy negligee and finding out she modeled that for another man. Oh, the shame.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Lilly was Mr. Cowboy because he was the original Cowboy and he was a Cowboy for his entire career.

Roger would come in 2nd but he was Captain Comeback. And Walt Garrison, the first real cowboy would get consideration.

Allen? Emmitt? No, they played for other teams so they cannot be ever considered Mr. Cowboy, same goes for Dorsett.

Probably not the right way to look at it but they gotta wear the colors to the end. Going to another team is like your girlfriend or wife, or both, wearing a sexy negligee and finding out she modeled that for another man. Oh, the shame.

Emmitt was mr Cowboy for me.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I didn’t have the privilege of watching Captain Comeback or Mr. Cowboy. The best player I’ve ever seen was Deion. Between 93 and 95 he was the most dominant force in the history of the game. He shut down half the field on defense, was a threat to return every punt for a TD and was an above average WR.

Larry is a close second for me...the most dominant lineman ever.