Was Larry Allen or Bob Lilly the greatest cowboy

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Roger Staubach
obama_mic_drop.gif

MCMetal69

Reaction score
If I'm being totally honest I still view Erik Williams as the best player I ever saw to wear a Dallas Cowboy's uniform.............Even a very young Larry Allen was overpowered by Reggie White (may he rest in peace) ; Williams abused that man basically every time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t have the privilege of watching Captain Comeback or Mr. Cowboy. The best player I’ve ever seen was Deion. Between 93 and 95 he was the most dominant force in the history of the game. He shut down half the field on defense, was a threat to return every punt for a TD and was an above average WR.

Larry is a close second for me...the most dominant lineman ever.
Deion was great, although I wouldn't say his play during any stretch qualifies him as the most dominant force in the history of the game. But aside from that, he was only a Cowboy for 5 years, and built more of his career away from the Cowboys, so for that reason I can't even view him as a consideration for "greatest Cowboy".

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the QB's and a running back or two, maybe even a CB and safety would inter into this discussion, but theses two were world class.

who you got? it's the offseason for us at least.

Discuss.:flagwave:
In my eyes it's Randy White. I was a huge fan since I was a kid and then I met him and got to know him a bit. I was about 45 years old when he came down and held his first of three clinics for us. We had a small gathering at his hotel and I was nervous. I remember thinking, I hope he isn't an A hole. He was the exact opposite. We had some great conversations in my office, he told me about Roger, he idolizes him. He also told me about a couple of guys that he can't stand. I gave him my word that I wouldn't share any names, but one in particular would surprise many of you. He also shared some personal stories.
He's my favorite and greatest of all Cowboys followed by Roger and Larry Allen. I never saw Bob Lily play, but he's up there.
For whatever it's worth, George Teague, Solomon Paige, Everson Walls and Larry Brown all came down and held camps for us and hung out with me and a bunch of coaches at my place, they stayed an extra night to be able to attend the BBQ, Barry Foster was also there, but he was a Steeler!! Paige even worked out with my team in the weight room. He asked me if he could do it, it came from him and he was very cool with my kids. They are all great guys. Eric Williams is a gentle giant off the field and was doing great things helping kids when I met with him. Quincy Carter stopped by my office with a friend of mine, he's was doing great and on the right path and helping kids. I ran into John Dutton at bar. I had met him about 20 years earlier when I was in HS and i recognized him. I asked him if he was John Dutton and he just smiled and walked away without a word. I thought, this dude isn't cool. I was wrong. He came to my table a few minutes later with two pitchers of beer and drank a few with me and my friends.
This is what makes these guys great, how they treat people and being regular guys. I have met a couple that were stuck on themselves, but I won't mention their names. Two of them are hall of fame players. In fairness, I didn't speak with them Long enough to be a true judge of their character. They seem nice on TV.
Many of the greatest players, were at the right time and place, they may not have been as good on other teams, but who they are off the field is what makes a man....IMO.
Sorry for the long post, and the repeat story, many of you have heard it before. But, I am proud to have met these guys and like to share, or brag, if you wish to view it that way.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Deion was great, although I wouldn't call him the most dominant force in the history of the game even during that stretch. But aside from that, he was only a Cowboy for 5 years, and built more of his career away from the Cowboys, so for that reason I can't even view him as a consideration for "greatest Cowboy".
He was a freak of nature. Defiantly a generational talent. he is in content but didn't have enough seat time to be "greatest" .

cowboyec

Reaction score
Lilly was Mr. Cowboy because he was the original Cowboy and he was a Cowboy for his entire career.

Roger would come in 2nd but he was Captain Comeback. And Walt Garrison, the first real cowboy would get consideration.

Allen? Emmitt? No, they played for other teams so they cannot be ever considered Mr. Cowboy, same goes for Dorsett.

Probably not the right way to look at it but they gotta wear the colors to the end. Going to another team is like your girlfriend or wife, or both, wearing a sexy negligee and finding out she modeled that for another man. Oh, the shame.
that was one of Tex Schramm's criteria for the Ring of Honor.
when he conceived it.
had to have been a truly great player.
impact in the community.
spent their entire career with The Cowboys.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
If I'm being totally honest I still view Erik Williams as the best player I ever saw to wear a Dallas Cowboy's uniform.............Even a very young Larry Allen was overpowered by Reggie White (may he rest in peace) ; Williams abused that man basically every time.
Then he turned into Choo..choo. ask around.

source.gif
He could bench 700lbs.. look it up.

cowboyec

Reaction score
feel the need to pay respects...
:bow:BOB LILLY:bow:
:bow:DON MEREDITH:bow:
:bow:DON PERKINS:bow:
:bow:BOB HAYES:bow:
:bow:MEL RENFRO:bow:
:bow:CORNELL GREEN:bow:
:bow:CHUCK HOWLEY:bow:
:bow:LEE ROY JORDAN:bow:
:bow:RALPH NEELY:bow:
:bow:RAYFIELD WRIGHT:bow:
:bow:ED"TOO TALL"JONES:bow:
:bow:RANDY WHITE:bow:
:bow:JETHRO PUGH:bow:
:bow:HARVEY MARTIN:bow:
:bow:JOHN NILAND:bow:
:bow:BLAINE NYE:bow:
:bow:JOHN FITZGERALD:bow:
:bow:TOM RAFFERTY:bow:
:bow:DREW PEARSON:bow:
:bow:BILLY JOE DUPREE:bow:
:bow:TONY DORSETT:bow:
:bow:DD LEWIS:bow:
:bow:CLIFF HARRIS:bow:
:bow:CHARLIE WATERS:bow:
:bow:EVERSON WALLS:bow:
and of course....
:bow:ROGER STAUBACH:bow:
thank you one and all.
:bow:TEX SCHRAMM:bow:
:bow:GIL BRANDT:bow:

:bow::bow:TOM LANDRY:bow::bow:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The greatest Cowboy of all-time is Roger Staubach.
It really isn't that close.

Lilly and Allen were phenomenal players who set the bar at their positions but Lilly was called Mr Cowboy because he was the franchise's first overall draft pick at a time predating free agency. He was an elite player on a team that built from the mud.
Larry came in and was elite right away for great teams but played a lot of his career on mismanaged and rebuilding squads. He is arguably the greatest LG of all-time.

Roger was America's QB and he was Tom Brady-esque in that he only missed the playoffs ONE TIME as the team's QB1.
Dallas went to 4 Super Bowls in his 9 years.
He was captain comeback and the player every little kid emulated in back yards in the 70s and early 80s.
Staubach was the brand maker.

starman22

Reaction score
Lilly was Mr. Cowboy because he was the original Cowboy and he was a Cowboy for his entire career.

Roger would come in 2nd but he was Captain Comeback. And Walt Garrison, the first real cowboy would get consideration.

Allen? Emmitt? No, they played for other teams so they cannot be ever considered Mr. Cowboy, same goes for Dorsett.

Probably not the right way to look at it but they gotta wear the colors to the end. Going to another team is like your girlfriend or wife, or both, wearing a sexy negligee and finding out she modeled that for another man. Oh, the shame.

So Brady isn't Mr. Patriot, then who is?

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my eyes it's Randy White. I was a huge fan since I was a kid and then I met him and got to know him a bit. I was about 45 years old when he came down and held his first of three clinics for us. We had a small gathering at his hotel and I was nervous. I remember thinking, I hope he isn't an A hole. He was the exact opposite. We had some great conversations in my office, he told me about Roger, he idolizes him. He also told me about a couple of guys that he can't stand. I gave him my word that I wouldn't share any names, but one in particular would surprise many of you. He also shared some personal stories.
He's my favorite and greatest of all Cowboys followed by Roger and Larry Allen. I never saw Bob Lily play, but he's up there.
For whatever it's worth, George Teague, Solomon Paige, Everson Walls and Larry Brown all came down and held camps for us and hung out with me and a bunch of coaches at my place, they stayed an extra night to be able to attend the BBQ, Barry Foster was also there, but he was a Steeler!! Paige even worked out with my team in the weight room. He asked me if he could do it, it came from him and he was very cool with my kids. They are all great guys. Eric Williams is a gentle giant off the field and was doing great things helping kids when I met with him. Quincy Carter stopped by my office with a friend of mine, he's was doing great and on the right path and helping kids. I ran into John Dutton at bar. I had met him about 20 years earlier when I was in HS and i recognized him. I asked him if he was John Dutton and he just smiled and walked away without a word. I thought, this dude isn't cool. I was wrong. He came to my table a few minutes later with two pitchers of beer and drank a few with me and my friends.
This is what makes these guys great, how they treat people and being regular guys. I have met a couple that were stuck on themselves, but I won't mention their names. Two of them are hall of fame players. In fairness, I didn't speak with them Long enough to be a true judge of their character. They seem nice on TV.
Many of the greatest players, were at the right time and place, they may not have been as good on other teams, but who they are off the field is what makes a man....IMO.
Sorry for the long post, and the repeat story, many of you have heard it before. But, I am proud to have met these guys and like to share, or brag, if you wish to view it that way.
I was, and am, a big Randy White fan. I know he hated being nicknamed the "Manster", but on the football field it fit him perfectly. A few years ago my daughter and I went to see the Cowboys and Steelers play. Part of the group package was to meet a couple of Cowboys legends. Randy White was one of the legends. My daughter could not wait to met him as she only knew of him through my tales of the 70-80's Cowboys. The guy was a TRUE gentleman to my daughter. He joked with her and said things like she was a smart woman following her dad's love of the Cowboys. Took multiple pictures with her and gave her his opinion of the current Cowboys team (he had a few misgivings of certain players). Class guy. So besides Roger Staubach he is my favorite Cowboys player ever.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Brady isn't Mr. Patriot, then who is?
Is there a Mr. Patriot? First time I've heard of it.

I've not seen any player called Mr. (fill in the name of the team) but one. They do not call Montana Mr. FortyNiner or Walter Payton Mr. Bear.

dckid

Reaction score
I know the QB's and a running back or two, maybe even a CB and safety would inter into this discussion, but theses two were world class.

who you got? it's the offseason for us at least.

Discuss.:flagwave:
Nothing against Lilly , Roger, Larry Allen but it is clearly Emmit Smith.
I mean the Browns always say Jim Brown, the Bears also say Payton.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was, and am, a big Randy White fan. I know he hated being nicknamed the "Manster", but on the football field it fit him perfectly. A few years ago my daughter and I went to see the Cowboys and Steelers play. Part of the group package was to meet a couple of Cowboys legends. Randy White was one of the legends. My daughter could not wait to met him as she only knew of him through my tales of the 70-80's Cowboys. The guy was a TRUE gentleman to my daughter. He joked with her and said things like she was a smart woman following her dad's love of the Cowboys. Took multiple pictures with her and gave her his opinion of the current Cowboys team (he had a few misgivings of certain players). Class guy. So besides Roger Staubach he is my favorite Cowboys player ever.
And the crime of crimes committed by Booger was his treatment of the old guard of the Dallas Cowboys and Randy was one of the most vocal ones about how they were treated. It was as if they were all part of the Landry Clan, that he treated with total disrespect when he took over. I think a lot of the Landry guys started off with a chip on their shoulder over that and it never got knocked off.

I got the same vibe from Bob Lilly the times I got to visit the him, which was only two. He said one time the new regime isn't interested in the old Cowboys.